Let's Pretend You're A Producer

blackhawkpat

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G that's a good question, and I just don't know. If Eric wants a challenge, then I'd have to say Pink Floyd's 'Money.' If he wants something easy, he could go for a James Taylor. I could be totally off the mark, too.

Daisy you need to pick a song from the 1960's. By the way, in my experience, "Money" is a lot easier to play than a lot of James Taylor's music.

I guess it depends on which JT songs you mean that sound "simple enough" to sing, but I don't think they're quite that simple. Most of his songs are not easy to play. He usually surrounds himself with top-notch musicians, and their playing is very tough to copy.

The Monkees' "Laugh" is certainly an interesting choice.

Marvin the first James Taylor song that hit me was "How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You." How hard can that song be??

Well first of all, that's a Marvin Gaye song that JT covered. Try playing and singing that song, and then tell me if you think it is difficult. There's a wonderful groove among the musicians, and some great harmonies happening.

Marvin - - I ain't foolin'. Please believe me. I am not trying to brag or anything, God help me, but I swear on my life I am sitting here right now singing that song acappella. I think this just might be a case of what is easy to one is difficult to another. While there are many songs I CAN sing, there are many I can't, like I don't do Pat Benatar, Heart, and other female rocker-type likeables.

Oh and I forgot: I apologize for my lack of knowledge on covers. You and some others really know your stuff. smile

Marvin - - I ain't foolin'. Please believe me. I am not trying to brag or anything, God help me, but I swear on my life I am sitting here right now singing that song acappella. I think this just might be a case of what is easy to one is difficult to another. While there are many songs I CAN sing, there are many I can't, like I don't do Pat Benatar, Heart, and other female rocker-type likeables.

Oh and I forgot: I apologize for my lack of knowledge on covers. You and some others really know your stuff. smile

I don't doubt your ability to sing "How Sweet It Is." I'm just saying that it's not as easy a song as you might think. There are many parts to that song.

I'm going to throw in two obscure songs that weren't really hits. The Beatles song "What You're Doing". Would love to hear Eric sing that. I think he would do a terrfic job and another Beach Boys song "You Still Believe In Me". Both songs just cry for his voice. I have to think of some rockers to balance this out.

• 2 weeks later...

BHPat, nice idea...

I think my first choice for an Eric '60s cover might actually be:

1] "Unchained Melody." Just a great, timeless ballad.

My second would be:

2] "Daydream Believer," but a version closer to John Stewart\'s more poignant original than the Monkees pure pop (but nice) version that everybody in the world has heard....

Also, I'd toss out these Beach Boys songs as ones Eric would nail:

3] "Do It Again"

4] "God Only Knows," also from Pet Sounds, of course.

Also, because I'm on a ballad kick, how about:

5] Bacharach's "This Guy\'s In Love With You"

6] Frankie Valli's "Can\'t Take My Eyes Off of You"

7] Paul Mauriat's "Love Is Blue" (because I know Eric loved this song back in the day)

And, of course, a Lennon & McCartney...

8] maybe an under-the-radar one like "Rain"

9] or "I'm Only Sleeping," because it's a cool song

10] or... "For No One" one of my favroite Paul ballads.

How's that?