Raspberries in April, 2007, issue of Cleveland Magazine

Don_Krider

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LC.. I have to agree with your comments. When I read the article I certainly didn't get the sense that "it was all over" that I did when I read Jackie's post.

My reaction after reading the article was... how do we get anything released by the Raspberries and/or Eric to be released here in New Zealand, Australia and anywhere else so the fan base is increased big time and sales make it all worthwhile.

I am certainly interested in anything we (Kiwi and I) could do here in our country of 4 million people to get the music out there. (Of course if we could sell it to the sheep we'd be winners... there are 60 million of them here!!! laughwink )

Muzza cool

Behind the Music story in Cleveland Mag is good. The PiX are basically all the same PiX that we've seen before, one time or another. The article really doesnt reveal anything that we haven't already heard or read about. It's basically a CLIFF NOTE 'TAKE' on what's been happening with the band. I'll tell ya what, depite the fact that Wally is my Fav, Im getting real tired of hearing about this Song writing Credit for Go All The Way. It's getting quite annoying. I can best illustrate my view in this way from other examples in the music business. The DOORS were a musical group inwhich all four mems collaborated to make some wonderful classic sounding records WAY BACK in the Day. The Intro to LIGHT MY FIRE was written by Ray Manzerek, and everyone know's that to be fact. However, the song is credited to Robbie Krieger because Krieger wrote the melody and most of the Lyrics and when you hear the song on the radio, esp the INTRO <<<<<<<<<it is instantly recognizable>>>>>>>> but RAy Manzerek's name is never credited and you most certainly never hear or read about Ray Manzerek discussing it 37years after the fact. SAme goes for Eric Clapton's Solo IMPROV on the Beatles WHILE My GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS. It wasn't George Harrison's guitar weeping, IT WAS CLAPTON's...and you never saw Clapton's name Credited because it was George Harrison's song. Same for GOLDEN SLUMBERS 'Outtro' all Beatle Melody and Beatle lyrics....end of story. Based on Eric Carmen's writing track record, it's fairly obvious, beyond a shadow of doubt that Eric and only Eric is resposible for GO ALL THE WAY...Gee Wiz...maybe that Roger Oscer Meyer dude who made the Raspberries LIMITER used to mix the recording should also ask for a credit....enough is enough. Getting back to the Article, it represented the guys very well and it was overall a good storyline...Let's all hope for a something special in the near future, Jen.

With all due respect Jenny309, and without picking sides, comparing the Doors (Manzarek) and Beatles to the 'berries is way off base. Both the Doors and Beatles made a ton more $$$, and their members continue to reap financial rewards long after the demise of the band's. The Raspberries have ONE song that 30+ years later still receives airplay and generates $$$, large or small.

Marv

Tony, what the heck does that mean? Whhhooosshh! (Right over my head!) (Which, of course, isn't hard to do....)

Marv, I don't think Jen was comparing Raspberries to the Doors per se; at least, I didn't read it that way. I think she was just making a point that we've read before on this site: that a riff or instrumental within a song, even if it's instantly recognizable, doesn't merit a songwriting credit.

That songwriting-credit thing, honestly, is probably going to come up in virtually every in-depth feature that will ever be written on the Raspberries, from now until the end of time. It's unavoidable, and it's a "juicy" part of the group's "illustrious history." Hence it's something writers tend to latch onto. (Well, even the most positive take on the group's past can't be all berries and cream, can it?) That's just the way writers/reporters/journalists are....

Anyway, the bottom line is the important one: Great coverage in a worthy magazine!

Jenny309, if you read the article again, the writer says those comments from Wally about "Go All The Way" were made in an interview that writer did with Wally in the year 2000 --- seven years ago. The writer confuses things a bit by mixing old interviews with newer interviews in the article, though the writer does identify which interviews are old and which ones are new.

The article's more recent quotes seem very positive about the guys current relationship to me (fragile, yes, but they seem to have worked a lot of things out, which is a credit to these four men, I think).

LC hit the nail on the head --- great, honest article in a fine publication.

Don Krider smile

We did everything we could to divert the writer from all the old "hot-button" issues but, alas, she was determined to go there anyway. I wrote every word, note and chord of "Go All The Way." That's what constitutes a "song," not the fingering used to play the chord or what fret it was played on. We can all debate this supidity until the universe contracts, but it will never change the fact that Wally wasn't in the room when I wrote the song. Let's move on, shall we? ec

I thought it was common knowledge that it was actually Kay Bryson who wrote the opening riff of "Go All the Way," as well as the bridge of "Drivin' Around," the chorus of "Hands on You" and the entire "Refreshed" CD.

Kay also created the smallpox vaccine, invented the Hula Hoop and birthed the Lindbergh baby before it was kidnapped. All uncredited, of course.

Yep, onward and upward.... I hope there are plenty more press opportunities this spring and summer, leading into, say, a tour.

The summer is a nice time to visit Boston.... And Raspberries haven't appeared in Massachusetts, according to Bernie's book, since March 1975, when the itinerary included a date in Leominster and two at the Holden Country Club (where I sometimes golf....).

Just thinking out loud....

Totally off-topic, but a neat Anastasia Pantsios photo just the same (somebody asked a while back in another thread somewhere about "The Rock Stops Here" single Eric and his brother Fred wrote together two decades ago).

Left to right in the photo, Eric Carmen, Fred Carmen and the then-governor of Ohio celebrating Cleveland being named the home of the Rock Hall of Fame & Museum back in 1986. Note that Fred and the governor are wearing promotional "The Rock Stops Here" T-shirts! --- http://members.aol.com/dkrider214/ericro_1.art

I bet Eric has some neat memories of that event.

Now, if we could get the current Ohio governor and the mayor of Cleveland to wear "Raspberries: Live On The Sunset Strip" T-shirts for a photo with the guys...

Don Krider smile

http://www.epinions.com/content_338701356676