Brand New Monday Night Showdown

Steveh

If you HAD to choose between listening to either Raspberries-era Eric Carmen songs (Raspberries songs with EC on lead vocal and written or co-written by Eric) or Eric's solo efforts (let's not quibble about who actually wrote the songs - this includes all of his songs from his solo albums), which would you choose?

I absolutely H A T E these choice things, Steveh! You are being so MEAN!!!! But, if I HAD to choose (and that's what this poll is about), I would have to choose Eric singing solo. I really CAN'T choose, because there are some qualities in his voice and songs that I JUST COULDN'T GIVE UP LISTENING TO! But I absolutely couldn't give up to listening to his solo and new stuff as well. So...reluctantly, I vote. It better never come down to this though! --Darlene eekeek

Darlene,

I am the meanest person in the world! I get so much satisfaction out of torturing you! O.K., O.K., you just gave me a great idea for next week - I promise to think of two or more options that will make you happy! spin But in the meantime, just thinking about not being able to hear either Raspb. Eric or solo Eric makes us really appreciate that we get to hear BOTH! smilie

Steveh

I'll take the post 'berries Eric as well, eventhough it is a race really too close to call. I think a ballad writer (I know--I know, he doesn't write them all) gets better and a rocker starts to run a little thinner as they go. I personally think Eric peaked at Hurts Too Much, and/or his second self titled release. They were great combinations of rock and ballad.

JIM

Jim,

I agree with you about balladeers getting better with time. Eric's top seven ballads (according to my subjective rankings) are from his solo career, while his top four power pop songs are from his Berry days. It's a tough call...but I choose his solo career.

P.S. I'm still addicted to IWBTLY.

Steveh