Raspberries & EC 1st's

Being an 8-9 yr. old kid back then - let's see:

Go All the Way amongst several 45's I got for Christmas when I was 8...

Fresh was given to me as a gift for my 9th b-day...

(I later bought Raspberries and Side 3 with my own money from odd jobs, and finally Starting Over)

Bought All by Myself for the first Eric 45 in my possession. Was shocked to see a b-side timed at 1:59.

A couple of weeks later, bought the album, surprised (in a good way) once again, this time to hear the extended piano solo on ABM.

BMP

Bought "Go All The Way" b/w "With You In My Life" at age 12, and a year or so later "Let's Pretend" b/w "Every Way I Can." Dopey me, I didn't get any of the original albums until years later, but I did buy RASPBERRIES' BEST shortly after it was released. (Great liner notes!)

First of EC's solo stuff I bought was definitely the 1984 Geffen LP. I've since made up for lost time in both categories.

Raspberries Best was a great introduction for me as well. I remember trying to read all those great articles and the lyrics were provided as well!

When I bought the "She Did It" single with "someday" live on the b side I remember checking the "WLS" radio Chart to see if it climbed up the charts the week after I bought it and it went up a few slots...(naturally I felt I had a part in its success) I still have all my WLS Chart listings? Any other Chicago folks collect these? Or did any other cities have these?

First Raspberries album was Starting Over. Read a review that compared it to the Beach Boys and the Who...ran out and bought it. To be honest, I had never heard of them before that. I then bought the remaining albums in reverse order. Starting Over is still my favorite, followed by Side 3, Fresh, and finally the first LP.

First LP I bought was the Raspberries Best with the newspaper clippings. Later I bought the first four LPs and many of the 45s at record conventions in Pittsburgh with a friend of mine.

First EC album was the first self-titled one - actually had it on 8-track before I got the LP! I also have a copy of the quadrophonic version of the first LP.

First 45 would be ABM; I think that actually my sister brought it home, but it sort of ended up in my collection... smile

Similar story to LostControl. Worked at Target late 1983/early 1984. Bought Gold Album in Target Bargain Bin for $2. Wow! 2 days later, found "Boats..." and "Change of Heart" at another Target Bargain Bin for the same price. Had to go to a special "out of print" store downtown to get "Tonight..." album, where I bought up 2nd copies of each album a few days later.

Then I branched out to Raspberries Best and paid the most $10 for a used copy of Starting Over. Man, was that worth it!

A couple years later I started converting to CDs.

Thank God for Japanese Imports and that UK Power Pop 4 album Raspberries release. Didn't have the first 3 full releases till then...