Back to the studio......

...Kind of like Lennon's "Double Fantasy" album? And the 'Berries could be Yoko? confused

Marc, put down the crack pipe...Do you think the other 3 guys would agree to half of a release being EC solo material? Eric should write 3/4th's of the songs, but the 'Berries gotta play the tracks on the whole CD...with a few guest musicians...horns/strings where needed.

guys,with all due respect,this whole thing is'nt about any solo raspberries..it's about THE RASPBERRIES as the group we've known to love & are fortunate enough to have them here,reunited,happy as a group for the first time in a LONG time!!!if there as happy as everyone on the websites combined..who cares who writes what..it's a group effort which is rare to see in "todays music"..i know in my heart the guys and everyone involved are making sure this is right..chris

A lot off things have changed in the last few months. If I understand correctly, Capital has returned the right s to the Raspberrie songs, back to the band. If this is true, I wouldn't be suprised to see a new release, even if was some previously recoreded stuff. And lets face it, some of Eric's early solo stuff was written as a Raspberrie, with the band in mind. One miracle could lead to another. Hmmmmm--Hey Deanie with Wally on guitar--I think I like it.

JIM

Many of Eric's early solo compositions were written while he was in Raspberries. I'm certain that he had them in mind when he wrote some of those songs. Personally, I'd love to hear what the boys would do with some of his solo tunes. Imagine Jim doing the drum break on "All By Myself" or Wally playing the "That's Rock 'N' Roll" riff! I doubt any of that will happen for the good of 'band karma,' but who knows what the future will bring?

Bernie

Once again, we get to talking about the Raspberries' future, and once again, someone gets the idea in his head that somehow, the other three 'Berries can magically be turned into sidemen for Eric's solo projects...

Pardon me while I say: HUH?!?!?!?!?

With all due respect, Marc, isn't this part of why the band broke up in the first place?!?!?!?

Oh, and the LAST thing that should serve as an excuse for that happening is that "Inasmuch as the other guys still have day jobs, they'd probably agree to whatever would generate them some $$$ and not be too distasteful."

WHAT?!?!?!?

I don't know about you, but if I were as talented a musician as Wally Bryson, Dave Smalley or Jim Bonfanti, and someone used the fact that I still had a "day job" as an excuse for putting me over a barrel and "forcing" me to do whatever kinds of musical projects he had in mind because "Hey, at least it will generate you some $$$," and the attitude was an obvious one of, "Listen, you better be grateful anyone pays YOU to be a musician at all"...my attitude would be "You can take your project and stick it where the sun don't shine!" It would damn well be "distasteful" to me to be treated like that!

I don't care who someone is. We all have our pride. And some of us have the right to more pride than others. For example, if you can play guitar like Wally...my opinion is, if you can play like that, nobody should be putting you down for having a day job doing something else. Nobody should be patronizing you and treating you as if you're lucky to get a job playing anywhere. And if they do, you should have a right to paste 'em in the mouth.

What's more, I trust that Eric also sees things the way I do...i.e., that this is NOT the time for him to play the "I'm a professional and you're not, so I get to call the shots" game with the rest of the band. That the whole reason this reunion worked out is because the four members of the band now all have respect for each other as EQUAL components and ESSENTIAL elements of what makes the band tick as a whole. That is...if the Raspberries without Eric Carmen isn't really the Raspberries...neither is the Raspberries without Wally Bryson, or Dave Smalley or Jim Bonfanti (at least not in the 1972-73 incarnation so many of us loved).

I just don't get it. Here we are, as I see it, so bloody lucky to have the RASPBERRIES (with or without the "the"; frankly I don't see where it makes a difference) back together, and what do some fans seem to want but to turn it into the "Little Ricky and the Rest of the Bozos" band? Which is precisely what will NOT work!

We have a treasure on our hands, people. We have an intact Raspberries. Please, let's appreciate them, and not ask three of them to subsume their egos to become sidemen on an Eric solo project. There is still plenty of time and opportunity for Eric to do solo projects if that is what he wants to do, and they can even sit in if he and they want. But there may be only one brief shining moment left for there to be a RASPBERRIES. And what I want to see, during that time, is concerts by RASPBERRIES, and if at all possible, new recorded music by RASPBERRIES. All four of 'em.

To those who are bigger EC fans than they are Raspberries fans, who see all this Raspberries stuff as being too distracting to him, or who are hungry to see him do more solo stuff and regard the other Raspberries as mere tools to be used to help that happen, I gotta say...sorry, Charlie. I'm not with you on this one. This band has to be a band of four equals, making decisions together, working together. I am more than willing to retreat to a comfy chair, grab a box of popcorn and watch them do just that. Because I'm still reeling with delight that after all these years and all the bad stuff that has gone down, I actually have the opportunity to even DO that.

I wouldn't want to see them do anything that would ruin what they've got going now. And that's all.

Well, gosh, the fact that "they" have non-perfoming day jobs is a good indicator of how multi-talented they all are. While most people would kill to have any one of their musical talents (in no specific order: Wally, Jim, Dave, Eric), many would be deeply grateful to play with an orchestra and finish at the same time!

I trust the group to do what is right for them at this time. Furthermore, I am not going to speculate on what that may entail. I'm deeply appreciative that I will be able to see them perform live - and perform in whatever manner, whatever clothes, whatever set, that they choose.

Anne

Trindy, After reading your last post, I realize that I need you to rant at my boss! He would quit before you got halfway through! smile

No one mentioned anything about turning any Berries into "sidemen." Nor did they say anything about "holding anyone over a barrel" to do certain projects. Some people just speculated what it might sound like to do a song or two that Eric wrote while he was in the Berries and probably had the group in mind. An interesting thought, but, as Bernie said, it probably wouldn't happen anytime soon, if at all! People on the board don't always agree on much, but if there's one thing we ALL agree on, it's that we all want Raspberries intact, and I haven't heard even ONE of the fans express a desire for anything that would jeopardize that. The guys themselves are doing everything in their power to make sure things go along just as they are. Relax! Now, go find my boss!

smile --Darlene

My only thought was an attempt to reconcile the release of some EC material with the release of some new/old Raspberries' tunes. Personally, if the members were agreeable, I think that such a CD would be a big seller. There are many fans who recognize some of EC's solo hits yet somewhat unaware of the Raspberries. A combined CD could help fans crossover. That was all. I had no intention or desire to knock the musicianship of the other band members. I have been a fan of The Rasp. for over 30 years and continue to be. Enjoy the day. Marc

i think all the guys in the band were probably harboring special dreams for this reunion for many years...all that pent up creativity they had invisioned for the group during that time could lead to some interesting new recordings...obviously quite different due to the passage of time...and the changes in their lives...but retaining that sound that says RASPBERRIES...they had a timeless sound way back when...i think it may just be that it's their time again.

Steve, that seems to be exactly what they want to do. They're calling all the shots exactly right this time. They've learned tons of life lessons in the music business. They, more than anyone else, want this to go over the top, and because of their past experience, they know what to do.

smile --D

I think if Eric said he had a few killer cuts he wanted the boys to play a certain way, I think by now with the track record of all involved, the boys would be smart enough and mature enough to take a deep breath and say, "OK Control Freak Boy, let's try it your way..." Let's hope Eric will let the other's creative input enhance the recordings like Wally's usually did.

I guess I have to clarify some of what I said here.

Darlene said: "No one mentioned anything about turning any Berries into 'sidemen.' Nor did they say anything about 'holding anyone over a barrel' to do certain projects."

Well, sorry, but that's how Marc/Lawyer fan's post came off to me. As if the sentiment was: "Hey, the other guys are hard up for money, because they still have day jobs, so they cannot call the shots. They should be willing to do anything that will give them a paycheck." I find that suggestion potentially insulting, and I think the non-Eric 'Berries might, too.

He also says in a later post: "My only thought was an attempt to reconcile the release of some EC material with the release of some new/old Raspberries' tunes. Personally, if the members were agreeable, I think that such a CD would be a big seller. There are many fans who recognize some of EC's solo hits yet somewhat unaware of the Raspberries. A combined CD could help fans crossover. That was all."

Well, I think that while such a CD might sell, and might help fans cross over, the implications thereof might not be really savory to the other band members. The sentiment that the band reunion was "all about Eric" might resurface, much as it did in the first failed reunion talks involving a certain manager that some felt was trying to promote only Eric's career and no one else's. I would just as soon not see anything happen that might cause those bad feelings to re-emerge...no matter what kind of "business sense" it might make.

Marc also says: "I had no intention or desire to knock the musicianship of the other band members. I have been a fan of The Rasp. for over 30 years and continue to be." OK, fair enough. I'm not questioning your loyalty. But I think that what needs to be respected here is that while it's very easy for us as fans to sit back and say what we'd like to see these guys do, we are not them, and we're not emotionally invested in it the way they are, and we never can be. My post was in respect of that; that's all. I do not want to see any of them feel obligated to do anything he may not want to do.

Darlene goes on: "Some people just speculated what it might sound like to do a song or two that Eric wrote while he was in the Berries and probably had the group in mind. An interesting thought, but, as Bernie said, it probably wouldn't happen anytime soon, if at all! People on the board don't always agree on much, but if there's one thing we ALL agree on, it's that we all want Raspberries intact, and I haven't heard even ONE of the fans express a desire for anything that would jeopardize that."

Well, I'm not so sure about that myself. That's all I'm saying. Implying that the other three are financially hard up because they have "day jobs" and hence would be likely to do Eric's bidding is, to me, an implication of a certain level of inequity within the band of which Eric can, and should, take advantage. Not that he would...just an implication that he *should.* And I don't like the sound of that. At all.

Tony said: "I think if Eric said he had a few killer cuts he wanted the boys to play a certain way, I think by now with the track record of all involved, the boys would be smart enough and mature enough to take a deep breath and say, 'OK Control Freak Boy, let's try it your way...' Let's hope Eric will let the other's creative input enhance the recordings like Wally's usually did."

My response: Maybe they would. The first few times. However, I think if things began to look as if Eric expected to call all the shots, the delicate balance of this band would be broken. The band should, ideally, be an organization in which no one is in a position to "let" anyone do anything else, but in which all members agree TOGETHER to do something. If that something includes certain stuff of Eric's done the way Eric envisions it done, great...so long as everyone agrees on it. And it would also include opportunities for the other guys to realize their own visions...and opportunities for everyone to contribute to the vision, as much as he wanted to (true collaboration, rather than just "being each other's sidemen").

That's what I'd like to see. We've got a good thing going here, and I don't want to see it end. That's all.

I think we all are assuming too much. I bet there was no thought or plan and is still no thought or plan for recording. I think four guys had a special chemistry 30 years ago, and now they are at the age of needing to know if that chemistry can be recreated. Anything beyond that is a plus for all of us. Each one wanted back in hte band for a different reason--- Lets hope what ever that reason is, it keeps them together a while longer. Thean maybe all the creative juices can flow.

JIM