More Unreleased Songs!

marvin

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The great thing about CD's is that you can easily skip songs you don't like. Top five songs I'm most likely to skip: I'm a Rocker, Take It or Leave It, I Think I Found Myself, Great Expectations, and On Broadway. Re: Isn't It Romantic - I like the melody and flow - very relaxing. (What topic did we start out with here, anyway?!?)

Steveh

Yeah Steveh we've gone from talking about Eric's cache of unreleased songs, to his released songs that we don't like! Out of the songs that others have mentioned, I DO like "She Did It", "Inside Story" , and "Lost In the Shuffle." "Top Down Summer" had a ton of unrealized potential that loses steam. Tony mentioned that this song could be a hit in the hands of the Beach Boys, I think there are many better EC BB-sound-a-likes such as "My Girl", "Someday", "Last Night", "Cruisin Music", and definitely "She Did It."

MARVIN

marvin,

normally i'm right with you on your opinions..but, "change of heart" has "songs as strong as any others?"

COH has every indication of an album that was done to meet a contractural agreement.

heaven can wait is one of erics strongest(and most overlooked) ballads, desperate fools is excellent also, and change of heart is borderline, sounding dated with the disco beat. but the rest of that album is "filler". someday, was a b-side. hey deannie was underproduced and had already been a hit for shaun cassady. baby i need your lovin' sounds like an afterthought. Even his originals, end of the world and havent we come along way, lack the passion you expect from eric.

jeez, i guess this is my least favorite EC album!

i would listen to almost anything from WD before most of COH!

greg

I'm in agreement with Greg except for End Of The

World. I really like the chorus in that one. The Change Of Heart album did have that, "I gotta do something to fulfill the contract" feel to it. And some of it did sound like disco. For someone who grew up listening to the Berries, it was a BIG disappointment. (Hey Eric, I'm a little over an hour from you. FREE (look again) FREE studio time to you. Come record a new song or two! No grand piano, but your Triton will work!)

mam

I agree about "End of the World." I love the chorus also. My impression of COH when I first heard it was: where's "Eric" in all of this? Except for the chorus of "End of the World" it was like Eric's style was all over the place. The disco bit just didn't make it with me at all. I just didn't like the title song. I loved Hey Deanie, but it didn't sound very much like Eric at all. Desperate Fools and the overture, I just loved, being a string player and still sit down and play with it. It's just beautiful. Heaven Can

Wait, I loved. It's just that the songs just weren't what I expected from a totally Eric album.

It sounded like he was trying to please Clive...or someone...and was searching for the right "style." Except for the song COH, I do listen to the album and enjoy it because he's singing it, but it isn't my favorite.

:) --D

As others have said, I also have always felt that the songs on "CoH" were collected and put together just to "fufill a contractual obligation." There's a definite lack of direction and cohesiveness to the album. This however does not mean that the songs on the album are not strong. The album contains some of Eric's best ballads such as : "End of the World", "Someday", "Heaven Can Wait", and

"Desperate Fools", along with easily his best cover song: "Baby I Need Your Lovin." The musicianship on the album is top-notch thanks to a slew of L.A. aces, but unfortunately that also contributes to the overall slickness of the sound. All in all, I agree that the album is "all over the place", but the songs are by far more melodic than anything on "WD." Would be nice to hear Eric's opinions on this album.

MARVIN

I change my mind...I hate COH...!!...It's a crap album with lame melodies an horrible production and no feel to it!...just kidding!...It's all about taste huh?...I find the drumming on COH to particularly outstanding. Nigel I think? and Procaro?...(Marvin?) As Marvin knows, Ilove POP vocal stuff, and COH offers a heapful of harmonies that rival any R&B hit, man, sometimes I would swear the Jackson 5 are doing backups. I would think that anyone feeling he had to fulfill contractual obligation would noyt have put so much time on arranging the awesome vocals on this LP. As for having some kind of Disco "Feel"...there I would agree, but take any record of that era and many had that disco feel...from the Eagles to Kiss. Disco did one great thing...it fended off the Punk movement that would have ruined melody and harmony for years. I'm just babbling here...Marvin...thanks for introducing me to "The Thorns"...listening to it all weekend...Andy

I don't know if I've ever read that "Al Green sound" quote anywhere. It might just be me, but I don't hear any Al Green sound on the "CoH" album. You want Al Green? The Eagles' "I Can't Tell You Why" is almost a note-by-note copy of Al Green. This is isn't altogether surprising because Glenn Frey is a huge fan of Al Green. As for the "CoH" album, I think the R&B of songs like "Haven't We Come A Long Way" and "Change of Heart" were more in line with what the Bee Gees were doing at the time and it was Bee Gees protoge Samantha Sang that covered "CoH" and made it a hit.

MARVIN

Oh, thanks Marvin. Now I'm going to have to dig through the tons of articles and interviews I have to back it up. I agree that there is some R&B stuff going on in COH, and whether or not it was inspired by the Al Green QUOTE I don't know. I do know that the album before (Boats) and the album after (Tonight) were not in any way influenced by Al Green, so COH is the logical choice. I guess if I can't find the article I can always ask Eric to comment in an 'ask Eric' question. Hey Bernie, can you help me out on this one? Kirk.

Marvin, listen to or remember the drum line to "I'm So In Love With You". Now listen to or remember the beat in "Haven't We Come A Long Way Baby". Oh sure, it's speeded up, but I can hear the resemblance. How about you? Hey- maybe I don't need to ask Eric about this after all! Kirk.

Sorry Kirk I still don't see the resemblance. Maybe I've got to block the respective arrangements out of my head to see the similarities. Al's song is smooth "R&B/Soul", while Eric's is just too slick (not in a bad way) for me to make a comparison.

MARVIN