WHAT. A. SHOW. IT. WAS!!!!

Trindy

It was a very good concert. It was the 3rd one since January that I have attended. My wife saw them for the first time and was very impressed. I thought the sound in Waukesha was better than Friday's concert. I am a novice when it comes to equipment....but it seemed the "foldback" speakers were not working. That is what they used to call the speakers that the musicians could hear themselves with. I read somewhere that the Beatles never had foldback speakers for their concerts. I noticed Dave after the first song said he had no monitor. The feedback on the huge speakers at times was really annoying. But what was impressive was the way the band performed in spite of these obstacles. Their energy, showmanship and competence was very impressive. We sat in Section 1, Row D in the first two seats. I purposely walked back and climbed the stairs during "Nobody Knows" to see what the sound was like further back. It was ok but not as good as Waukesha. One of the best parts of the concert IMHO was when they came back for the encore with just the four of them. Their harmonies were right on and so impressive. I do not mind Beatle covers. I love Beatle covers and I think they do them as well as anyone I have heard...(except maybe Paul McCartney who we will see this October). Beatle songs are not very easy to duplicate on stage and the Berries knocked em dead!

I would really like to be going to the NYC concerts this weekend but that is a lot of money and I have already been to 3 this year. It would be especially nice to attend another indoor concert like the one in Chicago. That was the best concert of anyone's I have ever been to. Those of you going this weekend, I am sure you will enjoy the show. I envy you and wish I could be there too. Have a great time!

Phil

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my vote for keeping Beatles tunes in the show! Thanks for all the reviews.

Please excuse my ignorance, but where oh where are Gene's photos of this show? I looked at this site, Raspberries site (saw Kay's photos which were real nice), and couldn't even find on Gene's site... Am I dense? So sorry but if you don't mind answering I'd appreciate! I luv Gene's photos!

I am sooo looking forward to the 2 NYC shows! The NYC countdown has begun! Whee!

All The Best,

Joyce

spinspin

Joyce, I thought *I* was being dense too--I couldn't find Gene's photos at all! I looked on both websites last night and finally gave up. I should have posted the question. I'm glad you *did.* Phil, as usual, thanks for illuminating us! You're the best! Now we can ALL enjoy Gene's fabulous pix.

smile --Darlene

Let me put it this way, the sound on Friday was the worst I'd heard at a rock concert since the Beatles played at Cleveland's cavernous Municipal Stadium in 1966 (primitive PA, guitars playing straight out of the amps, unmiked drums). With the Beatles, we were so frustrated, that about 10,000 of us went wild, and rushed the stage and stopped the concert. That's what we should have done at the Scene Pavilion. There was no excuse for that amateurishly bizarre sound mix. House of Blues should not only refund everyone's money, but it should arrange for a make-up show, with a decent mix. (None of this should be taken as criticism of the Raspberries playing, or performance, nor should it alter the imperative that anyone with the remotest interest in great music needs to see this band -- now! -- whatever the cost or inconvenience. I personally think that some people ought to get together a foundation, sort of like the Musical Arts Society, which runs the Cleveland Orchestra, to build an endowment, and assure that the Raspberries can continue to perform and create for as long as they want without monetary concerns.)

It is truly unfortunate when the artists execute perfectly and work so incredibly hard on offering a Perfect Performance as the Berries did last Friday (it must have been incredibly hot up there), only to have their perfection and hard work muted by inadequate perparation and execution by the guy on the mixing board. Please don't blame the venue and the equipment entirely for the problem. If you heard Norah Jones in that same venue last September, that same system performed extremely well and was crystal clear with excellent purity especially on the vocals and acoustic guitars (bass was a little weird). Same board, similar volume on a few songs, same amps and same speakers, slightly smaller band. Did they leave the system outside all winter?

True, the venue is a little challanging for the soundman, but when the guy basically forgets to mix the radio sounds in Overnite Sensation, the great key "hook" in that song, ya gotta question if he had ever picked up a Berry album and listened to any of the songs before he showed up for work. There is no excuse for the soundman to miss critical queues.

New York has tons of great pro sound guys so I won't expect anything but excellence there!

Berrys 10 - Soundguy 2

This was my 2nd time seeing the Raspberries. I have to agree that the sound was questionable at times, but I still enjoyed all of it!! I was sitting behind Eric's mom and was able to chat with her for a bit. What a nice lady! She seems fascinated that people come from all over to see these shows. She asked if I had read Bernie's book and I was able to tell her that I had read half on the way to Cleveland. (I read the other half on the way home.) Bernie - Not being a fan until a month ago, it was a great read to catch up on all the Raspberries Mania!

On Saturday we caught Paul's gig with Tequila Sunrise. If you haven't seen this band yet, get yourself to a show! You will not be disappointed. It was great! I am hoping to see them again when they come to the Chicago HOB in August.

What a great weekend! laugh

Goosebump moment...

Hearing "I Don't Know What I Want" live for the first time.(1st time for me.) Eric really sang his heart out on that one! It was full of raw energy and really rocked!

Goosebump moment #2...

The line "Baby don't go...." during "If You Change Your Mind" Sounded incredible... Eric you still can nail it after all these years!!

Goosebump moment #3...

The Rab4 "all by themselves" performing "You're Going to Loose That Girl" during the encore. Back to where it all began.

And ironic/funny moment of the night...Dave singing "It's Cold Outside" when we were all melting from the heat instead of shivering! That song is always one of my favorites in the show.

First of all I must thank Beachberry ~ without him getting the tickets for me, I wouldn’t have experienced such an amazing weekend! To make sure I had the tickets in my hand before the show, he drove twenty miles to personally deliver them to us, and then had to drive twenty miles back, and then had to do it all over again later to go to the gig! Mega thanks, Beachberry!! You are really kind and sweet, and really saved my life!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the show, I just get so totally absorbed in it all and just grateful to be there. Raspberries music is the best, there is no doubt about that. Even though I just knew they were going to do an encore, the anticipation of waiting for them to come back on seemed like forever. The atmosphere was fantastic! I’m not the bravest person in the world, so although scary, I was honoured, chuffed and stunned to be taken up on stage in front of so many people and stand so near the Berries and shake hands and have a kiss from Eric!!! Wow!! ~ what an amazing experience and something I will never forget!! cooleeksmile

The first two bands, The Stone Pony Band and The Knack, I thought were a great warm-up. Meeting other fans, Smittie & hub, BadfingerBarb, Darlene & Herman, Bernie, KC, Kazumi, Gina & Anthony, and of course, Beachberry, was also a great part of it all.

On Saturday, we went to see Tequila Sunrise at the HOB ~ They were fantastic and really impressed us (not that we thought they wouldn’t), especially as Stevie really likes the Eagles. Fab stuff! We’d love to see them again sometime.

Being a Raspberries fan gives you the best times of your life, and you get to meet some great people! There is no doubt that Raspberries are, and always will be, THE Best Band in the World!!!

happyhappyhappy

I found an interesting blurb in Friday's Cleveland Plain Dealer: " At 7 tonight, the Raspberries hit Scene Pavilion. For years, no one could bring the godfathers of power-pop together. Now no one can tear them apart. Since re-forming in November--after 31 bitter years apart-- the Cleveland legends have ditched the bad vibes for the good vibrations of their rock ditties. $25-$55.

Phil

Gina, You're so "bubbly." Bubbles were the perfect thing to bring! It was so much fun giving them out to people! And the raspberry scent you put in--"ooh la la!" We have to remind everyone to bring their "raspberry lights" to New York! And their ribbons. And...

Just a few more days!

smile --Darlene