Updates

marvin

Bernie: "You the Man" Where do you get this stuff?

Are you holding out on us. Like Marvin I would like to know where and when it was recorded.

Is there any way that a CD could be made of your

collection of MP3??

Your the greatest!!! Thanks for all you do.

Steve-O

Yes ...that's the Little Queenie "smoking cover" I've been raving about. Thanks Bernie for uploading the MP3 version for the Fans.

The Live Gig recording remains somewhat of a mystery. The tape I have calls it "The Secret Gig". I spoke with Scott McCarl awhile back. He thought it was probably recorded during their 4 night stand at the Bottom Line in New York City, Dec 12-15, 1974. Obviously the incredible sound quality screams: Soundboard! Anyone else have more accurate info?

Don

I always liked the "Secret Gig" because it was more fun to imagine where it came from than to really know. The applause on the tape doesn't sound like there are enough bodies for the Bottom Line. Unless it was a private party. Might have been a surprise appearance. Maybe this is why they call it the "Secret Gig". Shhhhh....Kirk.

This so-called "secret gig" *is* a bit of a mystery. I asked Eric about it and he couldn't solve the mystery either, although my best guess is that it's an in-studio radio station gig. At one point during the show Eric asks for more volume in his headphones. I can't imagine any reason why he'd be wearing headphones on any stage. --Bernie

After listening to "Little Queenie" I can only wonder why Capitol records never had the band make a live album. These guys rocked, and as in a previous post, Eric has a great rock voice. Wally's guitar work on the song really shines with a more raw and aggressive approach. If the Berries had made a live album, I believe that they would have reached a wider target audience. This cut proves that they rocked as hard as any of the other bands of their era. eek

WOW!!!! Just like I remembered from the "old days"! Yep, I was at The Bottom Line...and it was

just like that!

I am also mystified why Raspberries never made a

live album. They were positively ELECTRIC! (BOTH

sets!) And Ienner absolutely LOVED their live sound. Well, I guess he obviously wasn't allowed

to make the decision.

"Secret gig" huh? Boy, I'd love to have a copy of

THAT one!!!!

THANKS ONCE AGAIN BERNIE FOR E V E R Y T H I N G

you do! I'm sure that Eric fully appreciates that

NO artist ever had a better promoter.

smile --Darlene

Marvin-- Eric told me he didn't think any of the live shows sounded good enough to release. Read his answer in this month's ASK ERIC on "I Can Remember" and you'll see just how much of a perfectionist he can be. My guess is that we won't see a live release anytime soon. I mean, Capitol still hasn't released their studio LPs on CD! I'm thinking something along the lines of Capitol's recently remastered Grand Funk catalog would suffice. Anyone know how we can get this done? --Bernie

Well Bernie my guess would be, whereas Grand Funk still sells a few thousand units a year, Capitol does not see any revenue in releasing the 'berries on CD re-mastered or not.

I totally agree with Eric's comments on "I Can Remember." Even though the song has it's moments, I am sure that what Eric devised on the 'drawing board' bears no resemblance whatsoever to the finished product, which I also thought was a bit weak.

MARVIN

Bernie--I am devising a little plan where I wear one of my disguises, complete with Jimmy Ienner mask displaying the famous smile. I should be able to see between the teeth. I will navigate past Capitol Record security and find my way to the vault. There, on a dusty shelf, will be the Raspberries master tapes. You should have them in your hands in about a week. If I don't post any messages for awhile you will know that I didn't make it. Faithfully yours, Kirk.

Godspeed on your noble quest Kirk. The silent pop-rock majority is behind you 100%. Don't pack any Evian or Perrier water in your duffle bag on this trip because the French have vetoed your plan to expose some music history. And don't be suprised if you see Martin Sheen, Susan Surandon and Jannine Garafalo staging a rally outside Capitol Records trying to block your enterance. After all, they make their living speaking other people's words so I guess that makes them smarter than most Americans, right? You have my permission to "take them out" if they try to interfere with your heroic mission. Good Luck! The free world awaits your safe return with some quality concert recordings.

Sincerely,

G.W. (Strategery) Bush

aka: The Prez mad

You guys aren't going to believe what happened. I got all the way to the vault and one of the Capitol execs meets me at the door. He says "Long time no see, Jimmy." I just nod my head. Then he says "That bass line you sang in "Drivin' Around" was so cool. How about singing it for old times sake. I cleared my throat, and began; Long hot days, they'll be catchin' the rays, oh baby... Good thing I remembered the part. He says "Shouldn't it be about an octave lower? Hey, who are you, anyway?" I turned and ran. I made it out the front door, but my Jimmy Ienner mask fell off in the lobby. I think that was as close as anyone has been to the Raspberries master tapes in a long time. Missed it by that much. Sorry about that, guys. Kirk.

Kirk, Oh Captain Kirk, You forgot to bring your military issue knock-out darts. One little dart and Mr. Security Guard takes a 2 hour nap. You must be prepared for your next "assault on the vault" You get back in there, while I go watch another James Bond DVD for more ideas. And don't be intimidated by Martin Sheen's rantings. He's not the real president. He just plays one on TV.

Your Prez'

G.W.B.