Bernie's take on the show?

Jeff

It was outstanding! If you asked me two months ago to predict just how good these guys could possibly sound in concert some three decades after their last gig I would not have even come close to anticipating the MUSICAL MASTERPIECEMANSHIP (Cameron Crowe's word from his introduction to Eric Carmen: Marathon Man) of this finely honed quartet (plus Overdubs)!

Did they manage to pull off the unthinkable by sounding EXACTLY like their records? The answer is NO! Actually, they sound *better* than their records! Each song packs a dynamic punch that the band never could have imagined in the 1970s.

I have never heard Eric sing so GREAT! There wasn't a note he couldn't hit. When he sang the EXHILIRATING "Baby don't go!" part at the end of "If You Change Your Mind" the hair stood up on the back of my neck. It was SPECTACULAR!!!

Dave, once again, got a THUNDEROUS STANDING OVATION when he sang "It's Cold Outside!" He, like all of the other guys, seems to be having so much fun onstage. It was also cool to hear Dave doing a lot of the song intros this time. We love you Dave!

And Jim? All I can say is YEE-OW! He is one of the best drummers in the world (ask a drummer, if you'd like a second opinion :-) The best place to study Jim in motion is from one of the elusive balcony seats. His hands are flying so fast on "Ecstacy" that it seems humanly impossible. And what a tremendous job he does on "Overnight Sensation." That false ending is one hell of a crowd pleaser, and Jim makes the absolute MOST of it!

Wally was indeed ON FIRE! It is a treat to watch him play. He is a genius. A Mozart of the fretboard. Watch him carefully when he is playing—we are not worthy. He is a guitar god and we are lucky to be getting this chance to see him play.

If you haven't done so already, you must RUN (do not walk!) to Ticketmaster.com and buy tickets to the Chicago show. Tickets are still available but I have been warned that Chicago tends to sell out very quickly as it gets closer to showtime. ACT NOW!

Anyone else at the New Year's Eve show is welcome to join in. I'm sure I wasn't the only one duly impressed!

Bernie

Thank you Bernie. That was a wonderful description of the show. Even from last month, I agree totally with your assesment of each of the guys. I think there may have been a little edge of nervousness and/or trepidation from old feelings at the 11/26 show that has seem to totally fade with this one. I am looking forward to an AMAZING show in Chicago !!!

I have to agree. Last night, after the show, we were commenting how it seemed like the old days where they were totally relaxed and joking around onstage. This show had somewhat of a different feel even than the Nov show. All I can say is I hope there are many more to come!

This was a great show. The band seemed looser this time, with more joking and dialogue. I liked the additional songs. I felt bad for the guys, though, as it was another scorcher on stage. HOB needs to get their climate control act together.

Well Bernie one of my few posts on this board was about my favorite berries album which was Fresh. As we all know "Wanna" and "Let's" are probably the top two songs that require Eric to use the very upper range of his vocals (..."so BAD" and ..."I couldn't BEAR"). When I have read the posts about Eric hitting all the notes I figured it was mostly hyperbole from loving fans. I also wrote that hearing Eric go apoplectic at the end of "Change" was also one of the crowning moments of that disc. When I heard that "Change" was in the set list I was very surprised because even though it was one of my favorites I never heard much from anyone else about it. I also wondered just how Eric would pull off that great ending. Frankly I figured I had a better chance of hearing Eric hit the high notes than ever pulling off that raw screaming in tune wail on "Change". Reading your post just now I'm even more excited about Chicago's performance than I was before. Hope the guys bring what has been their "A" game in Cleveland with them to Chicago.

It's so great hearing that what I *knew* would happen actually happened. They're BAAAAAACK! And better than ever. I can be disappointed that I wasn't able to go, but I can't be sad, because it's all unfolding just as it was meant to unfold... WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

smile --Darlene spinspinspin