Mike Smith (Dave Clark Five fame)

Stevie

Thought this might be worthy of its own thread as it was getting buried in the "Rolling Stone" thread.

Mike was the keyboard player and lead singer of the DCF as well as writer/co-writer of their original hits. In September '03 Mike had a fall at his home in Spain and suffered irreversible spinal cord damage and is now a quadraplegic. He is still hospitalized over a year later and still breathing with the help of a ventilator but after some additional surgeries to reduce spasms has been able to use a wheelchair off and on. Mike also lost his only son in a diving accident shortly before his own accident.

Sadly, Mike had just started touring again with a new band in 2003 after a 30 plus year absence and as Tom noted received a great tribute on Letterman's show from Paul S. (who btw has started a fund for Mike along with Little Steven).

I was never a big fan of the DCF (loved "Catch Us If You Can" though) but clearly remember always being drawn to Mike Smith whenever I saw them perform on TV or in clips as he was the lead singer and also a very charasmatic performer. He also held up very well through the years and looked great at his advanced age.

Thanks for the update on Mike Smith--I was fortunate enough to see him perform on two different occasions when he toured before his accident, including a show at a small club in Chicago (Abbey Pub)--he was great, and I was lucky enough to meet him after the show, get a photo with him and get a few things autographed. Let's hope he continues to get better.

Mike has one of the great rock and roll voices! That low growl is so distinctive.

I've always thought that Any Way You Want It is in my top 5 of bar/party songs.

I recall reading somewhere (might be in the DC5 CD liner notes) that the song was actually recorded in a stairwell to produce the funky echo.

So sorry to hear about Mike. I had the privilege of seeing him at the RockAndRoll Hall Of Fame when he started touring and thought he sounded great. His wife sat next to me and was so excited about him touring once again. She was a pleasant person to talk to and made the show even more enjoyable. I wish both of them the best.

Last year {2003} I was fortunate to share the bill with Mike Smith in Merriville, In {Chicago area}. I was playing with Gary Lewis & the Playboys & Mark Lindsay at the time. I was thrilled to meet him! I'm a HUGE Dave Clark 5 fan! He still sang just like the records! Total BALLS ROCK N ROLL VOICE! I was very dissapointed in his touring band. You would think being the drummer for Mike Smith of the DAVE CLARK 5, you would play those classic snare drum parts like the record, this drummer he had sounded like the drummer from WEATHER REPORT!!!???$%#@%&&* The sax player was worse!! All those great sax parts on the DC5 records were baritone {LOW} saxes. This guy was playing David Sanborn like sax parts to these songs!!! A big letdown to say the least, but, Mike Smith was great! Sorry to hear what happened to him! Billy Sullivan

Hey sllvnvil,

I was at the show you played at with Gary Lewis and Mark Lindsay. I had seen Mark in 1995 in a Chicago suburb (Cicero) in the middle of the afternoon when it was 98 degrees outside and he still put on the Raiders outfit and looked and sounded great. At that time, he looked about 15 years younger (at least) than he was. At the Star Plaza show you did with him, it looked like his age finally caught up with him, although he still sounded pretty good. I understand he's finished with touring. As for Gary Lewis, I had seen him years ago. He still sounded good at that show you did with him, but when you're only going to play for about 25 minutes, I would think you'd play more of your own hits (which he had) and avoid the Beatles medley. I love the Beatles, but in a short set, I would have much rather heard a few more of his own hits. By the way, please tell me--were you a Playboy or a Raider? thanks.

-Fresh-

You're right Fresh, Mark officially retired with last year's New Years Eve performance (or maybe it was the year before). His age finally did catch up with him as you noted. I didn't know he was still around until I stumbled on his website and while it is always heart-warming to see these 60's icons are still performing it is still shocking to see how some have aged (which they are supposed to I know but you always picture in your mind how they looked in their primes)Especially Lindsay who was probably one of the most handsome guys around from that era.

Gary Lewis was always a minor talent in my mind and not worthy of any 60's adulation although some of the tunes were good but not because of anything he brought to the table.

Billy, would also like to know who you played with on the IN bill (sounds like both) and whether you'd be willing to share some scoop on what your impressions of these guys were.

Hey Guys, In all fairness to Gary Lewis, he's one of the few american artist to have 7 top 10 singles on the charts between the years of 1965,66. That's pretty impressive considering the british invasion owned the american charts in those days. I personally liked Gary's music especially "Save Your Heart For Me". I wouldn't have played with him for 18 years if I didn't. However, I was a bigger fan of Mark Lindsay and Paul Revere and the Radiers. Besides the Beatles and certain other british invasion groups, I learned how to play guitar as a young kid with those Paul Revere records. I'm happy to say that Mark Lindsay is coming out of retirement to play a few shows in this new year! Depending on the Raspberries activities {which is my main comitment}, I plan on playing guitar with Mark whenever I can. I'll be in Cincinnati, Ohio on Feb 19 w Mark Lindsay unless something comes in w the Raspberries. As for Gary, we pretty much parted ways {on good terms}. Billy Sullivan

Hey,Billy!

Saw Gary and Mark and others at the PBS Rock Reunion show about 2 yrs ago--what a great bill!! I had never seen Mark live before--only on TV when I was a kid. Nice to see he is coming out of retirement-(at the PBS gig he talked about just going into retirement!)

Billy,

I bought that DVD thru PBS and paid an arm and a leg for it--one of the deciding factors--I was in the front row--needless to say --on camera many times--part of my 15 minutes of fame. Ha! Ha!

I am surprised they did not give you a copy. I emailed you a source to get the DVD or VHS tape at a much cheaper price. (Producer of the shows website) Let me know how it goes!