Eric & the 'berries: Mutually exclusive?

marvin

I know that there are many on this list like myself who have followed Eric's career for 30 years since when he was with the Raspberries. There are also those lucky few who can actually lay claim to having seen the 'berries in concert! Just wondering whether there are any on this list who discovered the 'berries after having first discovered Eric as a solo artist? If you're out there, were you surprised at how harder-edged the 'berries music was compared to Eric's solo work, especially considering that Eric was the chief songwriter in the 'berries?

Marvin

Marvin, I believe our own Bernie discovered the Berries after becoming a fan of Eric's. I seem to recall reading one of his posts in which he detailed how he came upon the Berries, and his brother informed him that the Berries was Eric's former band. I was lucky enough to have seen the Raspberries live in concert and, let me tell you, they were electrifying. I will never forget it. I distinctly remember talking to Eric and Wally backstage and thinking, "God, I hope they don't think I'm a groupie." It was a thrill for me to meet them. Believe it or not, I still have Eric's autograph from that night, May 24, 1974 and (you're gonna laugh) a cigarette butt that he disgarded when he had to run onstage. Hey, I was only 15! My husband thinks it's time to throw it out, but I keep hanging on to it. Betsey

Since nobody seems to think I'm crazy for hanging on to the cigarette butt, I believe I'll tell you a little more about it. In 1976, when I was home from college on Christmas break, my purse (with the butt inside it) was snatched. The punk got my dorm room key, my house keys, my driver's license and of course, my wallet and money, but, I swear to God, I was most upset about that butt! I was too embarrassed to tell the investigating officer that I had a rock singer's cigarette butt in the purse, so I never mentioned it. I spent 6 months kicking myself for carrying the thing around with me. Thanks to a six year old girl who was playing in a ravine and found my purse and ALL its contents (except the money), I got it back! The thief had apparently sat in the ravine and rummaged through the purse. He probably wondered why on earth I had a cigarette butt taped up in a plastic cassette case! But I got it back and that's all I cared about.

Back to the original topic, I forgot to mention, I heard Eric solo alone first, then the 'berries just recently. Love the 'berries, but got to know Eric for his ballads, so of course I love those. Actually, my favorite is 'Hurt's too much', which I guess is more pop then ballad. The early stuff I would classify as rock more than pop. It's all great, and I play different stuff, depending on my mood. That's the great thing about Eric's work over the years, he's produced stuff for almost any occasion.

Michelle

Personally, I started from day one, when GATW came out, through "Boats..."...a combination of stuff happened from that point...things going on in my life, other intteresting music out there, and the lack of publicity...well I kind of got off track there until the past few years or so.

The music, well, it still sounds "fresh"! And I'm playing "catch up" as there are still a couple of things here and there that I don't have.