I'm tired of playing games

marvin

I think it's more than just getting Eric to do one of his songs in the encore. In order to attract a new or larger audience, I think you need to publicize Eric's name and music. There are many more people who are familiar with Eric's name / music than there are those who are familiar with the name / music of the 'berries.

Marv

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marv,

I think you are stating what we don't want to hear, but I think your practical instincts are probably right on in todays music BUSINESS world.

My musical gut, says show up as a band, play like a band, and finish like a band. I saw the orignal reunion concert in Cleveland, they played for 2 hours, no fillers, a tight set, and for a band that was only together for a handful of years, kids in their 20's, their biggest dilemna was what not to include.. certainly the musical cat bird seat.

Having said that.. how many of us at a cocktail party, when Raspberries comes up ('cause I'm playing it)do we have to jog peoples memory by saying "you remember the guy that sang All By Myself" "Sure" "This is him" "You're kidding" Ka-ching. I just sold a Raspberries ticket.

When ABM hit, Arista rushed out "Raspberries Greatest Hits Featuring Eric Carmen" Probably pissed off the band, and maybe deservingly so, but the labels business instincts were it would sell more, and I assume it would/did.

I was always against mixing EC solo and 'berries live. But I do believe now, that a radio live tour promo that featured a couple EC songs with 'berries classics, would sell more tickets, be less of an oldies tour, and sell more 'berries dvd's in the lobby/online than otherwise.

The goal is/and always has, is to figure how to put as many ears in front of these 4 band members, and the majority will be converted.

Ironically, featuring an EC 20 minute solo set in the middle of a Raspberries set, may help to introduce many more people to Wally's amazing guitar, Jim's wild man drums, and Dave's underappreciated vocals than otherwise.

More people would hear Dave's "Should I Wait" and Wally's "Party's Over" or my fave, "Might As Well"

I think we should go to school on the Eagles. They effortlessly acknowledge solo mixed in with the band. Once Joe Walsh hit's the opening lick of Rocky Mtn Way (on an Eagles tour) the crowd goes wild, even though I think there are about a million Frey-Henley compositions that blow it away.

OK, it's your money. Your net worth is half a million and you're promoting the tour with everything you own. What would you do?

How would you put the maximum number of ears in front of the 'berries song library, that most people would love, if they heard it, even today?

Marv's concept, should probably be considered realistically.

S

Very nicely said Steve. What is the goal of this cd and the band? Is it to do a couple of shows that brings attention to the cd/dvd, and then call it a day, or is it to play around the country to a wide audience? I think we've got to face the facts here: a tour that includes more than 3 or 4 cities has a better chance with Eric's name in the headline. I can just hear a promo that mixes in "All By Myself" with "Party's Over" and "Hungry Heart" with "Tonight." I really believe that there is a promoter and an audience waiting for this.

Marv

Seattle Steve wrote "When ABM hit, Arista rushed out "Raspberries Greatest Hits Featuring Eric Carmen" Probably pissed off the band, and maybe deservingly so, but the labels business instincts were it would sell more, and I assume it would/did."

That is exactly how I discovered Raspberries in the mid-80s - by the title of that compilation mentioning Eric's name. Without that, I would never have bought Raspberries music, and wouldn't have known what I was missing. However, I think it was called Raspberries Best and that it was Capitol that put it out, right?

Regarding solo music performed by the band, I lean toward leaving it out, but wouldn't be unhappy to hear solo songs by any of the three writers included.

Regarding the games, I like them, obviously. There hasn't been much to discuss in the Eric/Raspberries world lately, and much of the older information I've seen many times over my years of being here. If someone writes about another artist or band that I'm familiar with, I may add a thought on those threads, but the games have been a fun way to keep in touch with my friends here, and in some cases, I've never laughed so hard in my life, and that's worth a lot to me.

So in hindsight, as Popdude said, I should have come up with another title for this thread. At least it got peoples' attention.

If you want to play the games, great. I'm still doing that. I just wanted to bring some focus back on the music.

Marv (hearing Wally's guitar and Jim's drums putting life into "Hungry EYES")

I have come around at this point in time (until Eric invites me over to a coaster on his grand) that the goal should be how to put the maximum number of ears in front of the Raspberries. They are rehearsered (and the 'dubs) and ready to go. If it doesn't happen in 07, I'm afraid it's over.

If I was putting my net worth on the line, I'd pair the Guess Who with the Raspberries doing the summer sheds, and have a special middle 30-45 minutes with solo Burton and Eric. I could sell those tickets.

EC and Burton solo, would help to sell Guess Who and Raspberries tickets.

Imagine back to back grand pianos, ala Elton/Billy doing "These Eyes/Stand Tall" and "Boats"/ABM" (and maybe If you change your mind with Wally and Eric on guitar and stools alone)

Then they kick in and do a "Marathon Man/Hey Deanie medley,

Then they blow into 2 bands doing American Women/Tonight/Starbaby/Play on/Taking Care of Biz/Go All The Way

One example. The Set list possibilities are amazing. Same audience.

..but I digress

S

Steve the entire "WD" album could have used Jim's drumming, but that's another subject.

This entire thread is about how do we maximize the potential audience of the 'berries? Teaming them up with another act certainly broadens the audience, and the Guess Who would mean a wonderful night of music. It's the double-up option or the solo material option that will be the most fruitful, I believe.

Marv

I've been thinking about what I was going to say about this particular subject. I guess that I could sit on the fence for this one - meaning I could go either way as far as strictly 'berries music and/or EC solo/Dave and Wally penned songs.

Marv and Steve are on the right track as far as maximizing attendance at each of the concerts- i.e.- promoting the daylights out of the cd/dvd when it's released and make some $$$ and have a little fun along the way. But would lending Eric's name to the billing be a surefire way to increase the attendance? I too found the Raspberries music by purchasing a cassette that had "The Raspberries Featuring Eric Carmen" after I became a fan of Eric's music - This project probably has not been cheap by any stretch of the imagination I'm sure. If the boys can recoup their cost(at minimum) and go above that then it's icing on the cake for them.

If they were to do another handful of tour dates at the venues they did the first time, the media coverage could be astronomical. Not to mention the sales of the cd/dvd garnered by the publicity.

Am I on the right track or not? What could the fans do to help promote the cd/dvd or should we leave it to Ryko?

Just my .02 worth

HT

It appears there are many who discovered Eric first and then the 'berries. I fall into the group that was a 'berries fan from the early days, but this is my point: I'm going to guess there are many others out there who aren't part of this Message Board who are Eric fans. The band needs to capitalize on that group of people.

HT I don't know about your statement "If they were to do another handful of tour dates at the venues they did the first time, the media coverage could be astronomical." The band played Clevland 3 times during the reunion, and I have met people from Cleveland who had no idea about any of the shows or that the band had reunited.

Marv

Marv,

Didn't they play in NY, Chicago and LA as well as Cleveland? - at BB Kings HOB? If they did play at these venues again while promoting the cd/dvd wouldn't that would be an ideal starting place? Then by sheer word of mouth and a little promoting by radio stations across the country wouldn't that help with the ticket sales & cd/dvd set sales?

Does that answer your question?

Bahooey,

If I am one of the "Psycho EC fans" then so be it. I feel it is a priveledge to spend time on this board and know that there are others such as myself that adore Eric's/ Berries music and feel that it has made a tremendous impact on our lives. And we are better human beings for it.

Do you have facts to back up your off the cuff remark? If so, go ahead and list them here.

HT

I just found a video of the Go-Go's doing Belinda Carlisle's hit "Mad About You" on You Tube. That was pretty cool.

Regarding the 'Berries...I wouldn't mind hearing them each do a solo song or two. I'd love to hear Wally sing "Name of the Game." But to have it focus on Eric's solo stuff and leave the others out...well that's just turning the rest of the band into Eric's backing band. I'd be against that.

When considering the idea of adding Eric's solo material to a Raspberries' show, have you taken into account the potential slap-in-the-face to other 'Berries egos? The very audience that you are trying to attract would likely not be interested in hearing little-known solo material from Wally or Dave, so there goes the so-called balance. While the concept of raising the public's attention is admirable, it goes against the focus on the band and I'm afraid would lead to more problems rather than solutions.

I don't think that putting Eric's music into the show would be a slap against the other band memebers. I've even had the chance to ask Dave and Wally about this subject, and they both expressed interest in bringing in some solo music. They are also quite aware that Eric's solo career and name carries some weight. I think it was Eric who was insistent on keeping the original 'reunion' focused on Raspberries music.

Well we are now past the 'reunion' stage and it's time to break the music to a larger audience.

HT I referenced the Cleveland shows because this is the band's hometown and the shows didn't even get a huge amount of promotion there. As far as the Chicago show goes, it was due to the efforts of Message Board members especially Gina and Pat for pushing that show.

Marv

Oops, didn't work. I have my opinion, but deleted it. What I tell my kids, the things in life you regret are typically far more what you DIDN'T do than what you DID.

Eric and the 'berries have too deep a compostion and performance library to rest on their laurels yet... play the game for a year or two, do what it takes to get the music to the ears that are mostly unaware...band, solo, whatever, those melodies, licks, and harmonies will be rewarded, even in today's musical landscape.

You guys are too good still to be sitting at home reading this post. You belong on stage.

I don't think that putting Eric's music into the show would be a slap against the other band memebers. I've even had the chance to ask Dave and Wally about this subject, and they both expressed interest in bringing in some solo music. They are also quite aware that Eric's solo career and name carries some weight. I think it was Eric who was insistent on keeping the original 'reunion' focused on Raspberries music.

Well we are now past the 'reunion' stage and it's time to break the music to a larger audience.

HT I referenced the Cleveland shows because this is the band's hometown and the shows didn't even get a huge amount of promotion there. As far as the Chicago show goes, it was due to the efforts of Message Board members especially Gina and Pat for pushing that show.

Marv

With that said Marv, isn't there something to be said for fan involvement in getting the word out?

Did all the shows sell out?

HT

Definitely the Message Board members (aka Raspberries Army) will play a big part in getting the word out, but we can only do so much.

The first show (Cleveland) sold out in minutes. The New Year's Eve Cleveland show was not a sell out. The Chicago show sold very well, but I'm not sure whether it sold out. Both NY shows sold out or were pretty close to sold-out. Milwaukee and Denver were outdoor shows, so those probably didn't sell-out. I'm not certain how well L.A. or Atlantic City did, and one show, San Diego, was cancelled.

Marv

OK, here's what we do. Cleveland will always sell out, NY and LA will be close just on the math of venue size and population.

Seattle in the 70's had a top 40 AM radio staion called KJR that was one of the highest rated in the nation, led by radio guru, Pat O'Day who was basically a NW version of Dick Clark. He discovered Hendrix, managed Three Dog Night, etc.. He also put together Concerts West, that reinvented how promoters handle acts, and he handled the biggest.

O'Day is still in the area, living outside Seattle in the area in the San Juan Islands, next door neighbors to Steve Miller.(thee Steve Miller)

Well I live on a different Island, with long time KJR (classic rock) DJ Rockin' Ric Hanson, who goes back to the seventies with O'Day, and is doing afternoon drivetime on KJR still today, and I know would put Eric and the boys on the air. Mellencamp did a live acoustic in the DJ booth years ago here and had a live on air heart attack. Freak incident. I can see Wally and Eric hitting the airways, promoting a show here and do a live acoustic, while Jim and I are out on my boat catching dungeness crab. (Bring butter Jim)

KJR is owned by Clear Channel like a million other stations and the spot could be used all over the nation.

I can make this happen, if it helps, or if interested.

You only live once. Let's do it.

S