I'm tired of playing games

marvin

There was a time, especially a couple of years ago when the 'berries were touring, when most of the discussion here revolved around music and the 'berries. Now it seems all we do is play games. No pun intended. Since I'm the one who initiated some of the games, you can blame me.

My efforts to engage people by setting up "Reflections 4 - Get the Message Out", was mildly successful. Only a handful of people replied to my question (check the "Everything" thread for this topic). I haven't totally discarded this project, but in my search to find something music-related that will strike up more discussion, I came up with this:

In our Raspberries-perfect world, the new cd will get mucho airplay and visibility in all the media outlets. In reality, outside of Cleveland and possibly return engagements in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, the band could be hard-pressed to secure bookings in other markets.

At this time might it make sense to play-up Eric's name in the billing and bring some of his popular solo tunes into the set list? If I had been asked this question two years ago, my answer would have been very different from what it is now. I think that the time is right to connect Eric's solo music with that of the 'berrries. It might pull-in fans who are not familiar with the 'berries, take the group to a new audience, AND sell more cd's at the same time. As much as I like the cover songs the 'berries have done in the past, I'd rather hear Eric's solo material. I'd even stomach "Hungry Eyes." What do you think?

Marv

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a time, especially a couple of years ago when the 'berries were touring, when most of the discussion here revolved around music and the 'berries. Now it seems all we do is play games. No pun intended. Since I'm the one who initiated some of the games, you can blame me.

My efforts to engage people by setting up "Reflections 4 - Get the Message Out", was mildly successful. Only a handful of people replied to my question (check the "Everything" thread for this topic). I haven't totally discarded this project, but in my search to find something music-related that will strike up more discussion, I came up with this:

In our Raspberries-perfect world, the new cd will get mucho airplay and visibility in all the media outlets. In reality, outside of Cleveland and possibly return engagements in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, the band could be hard-pressed to secure bookings in other markets.

At this time might it make sense to play-up Eric's name in the billing and bring some of his popular solo tunes into the set list? If I had been asked this question two years ago, my answer would have been very different from what it is now. I think that the time is right to connect Eric's solo music with that of the 'berrries. It might pull-in fans who are not familiar with the 'berries, take the group to a new audience, AND sell more cd's at the same time. As much as I like the cover songs the 'berries have done in the past, I'd rather hear Eric's solo material. I'd even stomach "Hungry Eyes." What do you think?

Marv

I'm thinking of a number betweeen 74 and 198....

Marvin, I agree that the game thing gets a bit much, but we can't blame it all on you. We've all started or played the games, whether the number thing, the song thing, the story thing or role playing (Sugar's Soda Shoppe ran HOW many thousand pages?!) ad infinitum...almost.

My attitude is, whatever sells and gets the music out, and I'm sure the guys will do whatever it takes. They alone are on "the inside track" and know what needs to be done. And they'll do it, whatever it is.

At any rate, I'm excited for the release!

smile --Darlene

Quote:
Originally posted by marvin:

Marv

I'm thinking of a number betweeen 74 and 198....
That is a classic reply. LOL Popdude

As much as I love Eric's music (that's why I'm here) the reunion is about the Raspberries not one member of the band. The Eric material that I think is a cut above, does not fit into the Raspberries sound/style, hence I see no need to combine them.

Dat's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Relax people, I was only making a suggestion for a new thread/topic. I was not inferring that other topics were not worthy. If you took it that way, maybe my post really was convuluted and I am pompous.

Marv, you know I love ya, but if you were "not inferring that other topics were not worthy" and "only making a suggestion for a new thread/topic," maybe you should have simply started your new topic rather than beginning one with the title "I'm tired of playing games."

Obviously, that topic title has more than a touch of negativity right from the get-go. I can see where folks who enjoy playing the games might take exception. Me, I really don't care one way or the other...I'm just sayin'...

1. Funny you mention highlightin Eric's music and Raspberries music... I just listened to "The Difinitive Collection" as I rolled down I-80 today.

2. (to Popdude) 111.

3. I agree with Kathy. I think it's pretty cool that we can all hang out here and play these silly little games and talk about Eric and Raspberries and Baseball, Football, Dancing With The Stars (which I watched and voted for for the first time last night!) As slow as things seem to happen with Raspberries and/or Eric, I'm afraid this would be a dull little site if all we did was talk about them. (Not that you guys ain't interesting, but aside from when a newbie shows up, the old timers have pretty much heard it all by now! laugh )

5. I think when a topic is "not worthy" it will either die a quick death or will be pulled down by Bernie or Kathy... though I have wandered in on a couple that I'd just as soon not seen. laugh

I think I sort off understand what Marvin is getting at. Well in a sense anyway. In recent times due to Eric's dad's passing and events following that some of the "momentum" of musical discussion has slowed done.

I don't want Eric to feel guilty or whatever about that but as I see it his input has often given rise to discussions that we haven't had for a while.

Also the "waiting" period for things like DVDs and CDs and the discussions attached to those occasions has slowed meaning that we have had little in the way of Eric's or Raspberries news to chat about.

As you probably all know I do enjoy some of the games as it gives me interaction with people on the board as light relief after a hard day at work when I don't feel ready for "heavy" discussions. This is a great place and every aspect of it is of value to me in some way.

Perhaps Bernie needs to add another "morsel" from his hidden treasure chest to get us talking about Eric's music again. Just a thought...

Muzza cool

I wouldn't like to see Raspberries music mixed up with Eric's solo material. They are both good enough to stand up in their own rights. In a way, I think the "Raspberries featuring Eric Carmen" angle kind of smacks of the "we'll try anything to sell a few more records" approach. It's kind of like saying "The Kinks featuring Ray Davies", or whatever.

Eric has said that he never really wanted to be a solo artist and the fact this band still has relevance today and has stood the test of time proves that it would have been a success had the timing been right. I love the fact that we have two such diverse but complimentary musical careers to celebrate.

Agree it's time for another Bernie "morsel" though!!

Gary

Way to go Bernie!

To clarify what I'm trying to say: The "Reunion" happened almost 3 years ago. If there is a tour this year, does that still qualify as a "reunion"? Granted there is no new material to promote, but I really think that the only way to make this an extended tour (and to bring the music to the masses), is to take advantage of Eric's name / solo career. I believe there are many promoters who would be interested in this angle.

Marv

Marv,

As part of crew I think I will agree that IF there is a tour this year (and I am praying every day for this to happen) it would not be a "Reunion Tour" Most likely it would be to promote the CD/DVD. As far as Eric's solo music as part of the show; I don't know why it wouldn't work and I think that with Wally, Dave and Jim being part of the music it would be fantastic. Following along with some of Wally's and Dave's solo work this could become very interesting. Everyone but Jim has written some fantastic music outside the Raspberries family and it would be wonderful to see how they would present the music as the Raspberries. So what do I think, lets go out on tour play some music and have some fun. Promote the hell out of the CD and see where it goes. I am ready and I know the rest of the crew is chomping at the bit to crank it up.

Don't things...(especially good things)...happen in their own time?

I waited 30 or so years to finally see The Raspberries...so a few more months awaiting new music is short time in comparison.

Try and work your own schedules...priorites..etc around 3 other individuals lives....it's not easy, I imaginekeeping it all together...so I am thankful for what's happened already and for what the future holds.

I think the best is yet to come.

Regards, Don

Marvin and Roadie#3 have the right TAKE. Forget anytype of Reunion Tour. I agree with promoting the new CD/DVD as a Current effort incl some Solo stuff. Good idea. But that is going to take alot of effort. It will be interesting to see if the guys have enough energy to do it. Frankly, I find it interesting that I never READ or HEAR about Jim or Wally "Playing Out" anywhere, since they still live locally here NE Ohio. NEVER! aside from that very cool Choir show I attended last Spring '06 at the Beachland. Many of the Local musicians that Jim and Wally use to playOut/hang with STILL do infact playout regularly. My Hub and I recently went to go watch Billy Sullivan perform locally...what a treat. Billy is a great musician. As far as SOLO material, that would be a very SENSATIVE consideration. Eric's Solo material is more Orchestral, esp Boats and Desperate Fools. Their Vocals would work, but Im not too sure how Wally's guitar could be arranged, esp with Hungry Eyes...probably NOT! If Solo material would be considered it should be very Limited. Dave wrote a song for his Internal Monolog CD a few years ago that Incl a song called, SOONER or LATER. I infact heard that song while Dave & Wally played in their old Cleveland band called THE SECRET back in 1984 or 85. It was arranged alot differently when performed with THE SECRET. It had a tempo, drive, WAlly's awesome guitar playing and unbelievable vocals. So Yes, I agree with Marvin and Roadie#3 that Solo material would be a very good idea, but to be displayed and performed as Raspberries material.

Marvin...you are 100% in tune with what I was thinking!

The reunion is over, now the goal is to make a few bucks. EC solo material will draw in more ticket buying fans.

The reunion was somewhat of a success, but look at the numbers in Atlantic City...from what I understand there were only "hundreds" of tickets sold and Atlantic City is a hop, skip and a jump from 25,000,000 people (NYC, Phila, Balt and DC.).

I was actually quite embarrassed for the boys at the AC turnout....there were a lot of excuses out there but the bottom line is that actual tickets sold numbered in the hundreds.

Eric Carmen solo tunes is the ticket to a successful mini tour, and I say 50/50 Carmen vs Raspberrie material.

Thank You!

Bottom line, Id go see Eric solo, or Id go see the Raspberries. I dont think its a good idea to mix in the solo material to the Raspberries format unless all songwriters are allowed to do solo material, which is only fair. I personally think the situation will be decided by the band members and that fans telling them what should or should not do is superfluous. In this regard, just more "games." I thought the Raspberries reunion sets were awesome as they were.

I think that we would all agree that a show or two in Cleveland to promote the cd/dvd will sell out fairly easily. Where do you go beyond that? The band could hitch themselves onto the tails of another act, and be an opening act, but that doesn't give them the chance to play more than 1/2 an hour to 45 minutes a night.

I can easily hear the Raspberries doing "That's Rock and Roll" or "Tonight You're Mine" or "Inside Story", and even "All By Myself" and "Boats." Get the band on the road, tell the promoters that Eric will do a few solo numbers, and I think you open yourselves up to more venue possibilities.

Marv