What's doing with "The Book"?

darlene

Well, the book will be out before the new CD. That I am sure :-)

Darlene has actually seen the completed manuscript, held it in her hands and flipped through its 400+ pages. I told her at the time not to say anything but she's free to speak now. As for when to expect holding one in your hot little hands...let me just say we're 95% done and inching along to complete the final 5%.

Ken and I are proofreading, putting together GREAT indexes (including a discography featuring official and unofficial releases and live set lists from all of the known tapes and radio show simulcasts), Eric still owes us one more follow-up interview and we're waiting on some items from his personal archive (handwritten lyrics, etc.) for inclusion in the book.

Even though we've already invested nearly a year of our time writing the book we're finding that last 5% the most difficult. Not really a surprise when you consider that we intend for this book to be DEFINITIVE.

So...that's the official update. I still hope to get an accurate delivery date from the printer as well as pricing and pre-ordering information as soon as I can sort it all out.

Bernie

PS: In April 2003 it was announced that the first official biography of moonwalker Neil Armstrong was being written. The scheduled due date? 2005!

The book features direct quotes gleaned from interviews with nearly every major figure in Eric's life including former bandmates. All of the interviews were conducted by Ken or myself. Some of the former 'Berries interviews were done by Ken for an unpublished follow-up to his GREAT Raspberries book (e-mail him at sharpk@aol.com -- copies may still be available!) hence his agreement to co-write this book proved to be immeasurable! Because this book is a true biography all of the interviews are woven into the narrative making it very much a FANTASTIC read instead of simply a series of Q&A's.

Bernie

Bernie you're preaching to the choir (no pun intended) here! You don't have to sell anyone on this site about your book. Go out in public and make your pitch! I know that it must have been very hard for you or for Ken to remain objective on the subject matter. Imagine, how do you write anything negative about Eric and still maintain this site and expect Eric to give you access to himself? I certainly don't envy your position.

Marvin

Ken and I are looking for Eric to comment on some of the stuff others have said in their interviews. That *WILL* make great reading!

When the book is ready for pre-ordering I plan on uploading special web pages to promote it which will include some actual scans of the book's interior pages showing just how chock-ful it is with previously unpublished images. One photo in particular is so incredible that the Raspberries themselves didn't even know it existed (until Ken and I found it, that is). I may also decide to include some choice passages of text to give everyone a taste of the book's contents!

Bernie

I HAVE held the manuscript in my hands--that was just one of the incredibly warm and wonderful moments I had when I visited Bernie in his beautiful home. I felt so at home that as soon as I came through the door, I told them I could just stay and camp out all year round in their backyard and be early for the next Weekend at Bernie's!

The manuscript is a virtual work of art. The foreword alone is absolutely amazing. I could scarcely believe the sheer amount of dedicated work that has gone into this, and they really did it up RIGHT! If Eric approves, you KNOW it's really fine. Congratulations to Bernie, Ken and Eric--I can't wait!!!!

smile --Darlene

Marvin,

This book's for you, too :-) Everyone gets their say. It's all out in the open. The author's draw no conclusions, just present the quotes in context.

Sometimes everyone agrees on the events. Sometimes the memories differ quite severely.

As I said before, this is not a whitewash. Record execs and insiders will tell you which songs they love and which songs suck, which albums hit highs and which ones sank to the bottom of the heap. People who have complaints are given full pages of paper to gripe. Everyone already knows some of the more sordid tales, but I will tell you this: there are some amazing revelations, plenty of new insights, and some real interesting facts, heretofore unreported. You may find yourself changing your opinion on many of the oft-told tales as well as their participants.

As for the Raspberries and their much-publicized breakup I will also say this: after reading the book you may become an even bigger admirer of Eric, Jim, Wally, Dave, Scott and Michael. Sure, they had rough moments, but they had some real AMAZING moments as well. The music they created was timeless and the ride, although sometimes bumpy, was a pretty far-out trip.

Bernie

Let me also add that publishing this book, jammed with unpublished photos in a limited signed, hardcover edition with full color cover wraps (along with a regular paperback edtion) is a VERY expensive undertaking. All of the financial burden will be on me and I am quite sure that in the end I will have lost money on the project. But I'll have a book. And that's all I really wanted in the first place :-)

Bernie

Can't wait to see the book, naturally. I suspect it will be a first-class job all the way - just as this site is. And God bless Bernie and Ken Sharp for their devotion to the music of Eric and the Raspberries. (Bernie -- Ken's book is a treasure, obviously. The only thing I would comment on is that he could have used a touch more tighter editing and a little spell check here and there...I trust with your book that will not be the case! I'm not being critical, it's just when I see even minor things like 'it's' being used when it should be 'its' -- or vice versa -- it gets me going. While most people could care less - and many would not even notice stuff like this - to me it detracts from the overall quality of the piece/project. Just my 2 cents -- and it ain't even worth that!)

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Ken and I just completed our last "marathon" interview with Eric. We needed to fill in some of the holes and in doing so got answers to some questions that I believe have never been asked before. GREAT stuff! Anyway, we're closing in on the final manuscript now. There are still a couple more interviews we need to finish. After that, it's proofread, sent to the printer and delivered to your mailbox :-) I'll have some updated timelines, etc. this weekend along with some interesting news itrems Eric let out of the bag when I update the web site this weekend.

Bernie