DVD NOT!

Brian Mac

The first show had many behind the music like moments, ie. Wally and Eric talking about the writing of I See The Light and Come Around and See Me and Don't Want to Say Goodbye etc., Wally's nieces shouting out "We love you uncle Wally", the Eric/Wally moment where neither could see the settings on Eric's guitar, the pre show party/excitement, the camera's filming the fans at the party, the Meet and Greet and more.

I think it and the NYE show where the ones that they did the most songs at as well.

Yep, the first one will always be the best in my mind.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barb is indeed right about not opening tours in New York and L.A.

But there is a little-known fact about Portland, Maine, being a testing ground for tours. Quite often, big name bands will play Portland to see if the equipment works, as well as trying to see how crowds react when performing new songs.

The "Portland thing" is that a band will play under a fake name, or sometimes even "generically"

saying "rock band playing tonight" with minimal cover charge. Quite often it turns out to be a surprise.....expecting to just slam a few brewskies with a local band....and it ends up being Aerosmith or somebody like that.....

But getting back to the Berries.....I would have like to have been in Cleveland....it would be thrilling to be there on the "ground floor" of the comeback. But I think it probably wouldn't have been as polished of a performance.

As for Saturday's show, it was just thrilling to see the Raspberries after all these years, regardless of how they played. And it was kind of a screwy day to begin with......couldn't connect with Marvin or Gina or anyone else.....and that Dave Smalley really got into "Party's Over" which really was ironic, and one of the high points of the concert.

Despite the fact it was not the best show....it won over some skeptics.....a lot of the people at the bar, who came just out of curiousity, were won over....that alone made it worth going.

On Sunday, everything seemed to be in alignment. Met everyone, excellent sound mix...it just all came together----what can I say! And you can see

the band was feeling it too!!

From all accounts, Bernie's list is right on. I missed Chicago, but New York Sunday was the best concert I've ever been to in my entire life. The first show (Cleveland reunion) should be put out on DVD, because it *is* rock 'n roll history. There was an absolute magic that put us all in a complete trance the entire night and, because it was the first performance in 32 years, the emotions of the crowd, and the band, put everything on an out-of-this-world level, including the music.

Because Raspberries just keeps getting exponentially better with each performance, even though it was absolutely amazing, the first show *couldn't* be the best one, but it was far beyond fine enough to put out there anyway. Like printing money indeed! And they *so* deserve a financial return on their performances!

smile --Darlene

I missed the first Cleveland show, as well as Chicago. To those that were there, have they ever done "Starting Over" since they re-united? Seems like such a perfect song considering the circumstances.

Another question I'll throw out to the panel. Does anybody know why they stopped doing "Drivin Around?" People kept shouting it out both nights in New York, and it is one of their better known songs. Just seems weird that they don't play it.

I don't think there will ever be a more special and memorable Raspberries moment than the first show in November. The video montage has just ended, the curtain slowly rises....and there they are, live, smiling, the first time together in 30 years!!! That was one incredible, fantastic, unbelievable, spine tingling, out of body, magical moment. If I had died then and there, I would have died extremely happy with a wonderful smile on my face!! For that one shining moment, things just could not have gotten any better in my life. A true dream come true!! happyhappy

Yeah, something about that "You're here & there & far away" section with Wally & Eric singing in perfect harmony - I'm still pretty choked up just thinking about it. I just never thought it would happen, and that moment was one that REALLY captured who they were way back when they first started.

Sorry, but there should be a DVD of that 1st show and if they want to also put out a "perfect sound/perfect vid" one from later shows, I'm sure we'll all buy both. But that 1st show was so special in so many ways. I can't remember too many times in my life when I was cheering and crying at the same time. And I'm one of the lucky ones - how many fans didn't get to go to that 1st show? If I was one of them, I'd be SO upset that it looks like we might not get any recordings of it.

I hope the band knows just how important that show is to those who waited so long. I don't care how much better they're playing (and looking?) now, the 1st show was history in the making, and ought to have been fully documented by the Library of Congress or something! Not only that, but the guys kept saying (and still say) that "the fans kept this alive", and that the 1st show was mainly a reward to us. The new shows seem to be much more about how much the band is enjoying things and carrying on into the future, and making sure the guys actually get paid for once (which all of us completely support, I'm sure!).

BUT...the first show, at least partially, belongs to all of us, and I want my copy!!! crazycrying

I'll sit quietly now and await whatever the guys decide, but I had to vent that.

Jack

Very aptly put, Jack. There was a wonderment ("is this REALLY happening?!") to the first show that was most clearly illustrated by the band They were all just "tickled pink" (and absolutely happily amazed) to be on the stage performing a concert that sold out in 4 minutes. It was extremely evident in their actions, smiles, the looks on their faces and everything they did, including much joking and clowning. That moment crystallized itself in my heart, and I take it out and look at it whenever I want to smile truly from within. After reading your post, I just did.

With so many championing a release of the DVD of this concert, I think they're listening and that we'll see one.

There can only be a "first time" for *anything* once. And "first times" should be celebrated. Releasing the DVD, even just to fans, would be the perfect celebration of this jubilant "first time" after 32 years. It would assure that the band, as well as the fans, could keep that electrifying moment in musical history crystallized forever.

smile --Darlene

I too want a copy of the REUNION show. I waited impatiently for 31 years. I remember walking into the HOB with my daughter and best friend totally filled with excitement, anticipation, and anxiety. As the screen began to scroll down my daughter and I looked at each other and i had to fight back a major waterfall. After the births of my daughters, this was one of the happiest moments I can remember. That high lasted for a long time and is still there because I was able to share it with my daughter. We need that show on DVD, even if it is only sold privately through EC, Raspberries, Dave Smalley and Boxer websites. Another idea would be to release a 2 DVD set, the dirst being the Reunion show, the the second DVD being a collection of the other concerts that were recorded with the songs that were not featured in the first show along with the VH1 clips and band member and fan interviews(if available).

Hey guys, keep an open mind. We support you in your endeavors because you deserve it. Let's not forget the fans who brought you here.

Speaking as someone who has loved this band's music for 30 years, they have taken up up a large part of my concious and unconcious life. There has hardly been a day when they haven't occupied my thoughts to some degree and I still can't go that long before I need to cleanse my thoughts by listening to their music.

So finding out that Raspberries, MY RASPBERRIES! were ALIVE again and not just a memory, and not being able to be there was like heaven and hell all at once.

So I'm with Jack on this one. It doesn't REALLY matter to me what they would look or sound like on the DVD. They've already established their credentials as far as I'm concerned and I need my copy too. And don't worry, I'll buy the proper one too when you decide it's ready.

I commend Eric and the boys for wanting to take charge of quality control - to get a second chance to realise their full potential is wonderful and I want them to seize it with both hands, but as Wally once sang, Come Around and See Me......please!

Magical moment for sure. I agree with you about the video. It was perfect.

One thing I know for certain is that Raspberries will never forget their fans. Raspberries fans were always uppermost in their minds, and we still are. They didn't initially do this for *them,* they did it for *us*! They hear everyone and they care.

smile --D

It goes without saying that everyone here would buy a DVD of that special first reunion concert.

For those of us who could not attend, and even for those of us who have been fortunate to have seen subsequent concerts, that DVD would be like peeking behind the Wizard's curtain.

Perhaps we need to add some fairy dust to the lemonade?

Anne

Oh, Anne, if you only knew (and you would if you were one of the EC.com chat room "regulars") what a comment from me your last line invites (!) But, the internet being what it is, I can't make it. (It has nothing to do with you or any other person who might read or post here, just with me.) Reading it definitely *did* give me quite a chuckle just now!

The Wizard's curtain...wow, you have a flair for metaphor and things literary! Are you a writer? If you're not, you *should* be! Loved your post.

smile --D

Fairy dust is right...

It's actually kind of gratifying to come back in here and see that so many people agree with me and want a DVD of the FIRST concert. Even if the band was not as "tight," even if it was not as "perfect" as some concert they did or might do later...it was THE reunion concert, dammit! It was special! If for no other reason, some of us need to go back and prove to ourselves by seeing and hearing it all again that we were there!

Not only that, but will we EVER get to hear them perform "When You Were With Me" again? Fat chance! (Hint hint: I LOVE that song. One of Wally's great masterpieces. Please...)

There were so many moments...so many emotions...If the band thinks THEY had a lot invested in that concert, well, the fans did too. Comparatively I had a lot less to lose...I wasn't trying to justify the time and expense to fly into Cleveland the day after Thanksgiving to fulfill what might just turn out to be a silly middle-aged woman's pipe dream of her favorite band's reunion concert. But even so...I was taking the chance that when I bought those tickets (is this where I confess I don't really believe the "four-minute sellout" story?...I know it has a life of its own now, but I was on the phone 15 MINUTES before I got mine), that what I would be seeing would not dash my fantasies forever.

It sure didn't. All it did was feed them more.

What can I do but paraphrase a famous line again: "We waited so long to be there." And if all we keep hearing in return is "The DVD is coming out someday," well...I don't have to tell you guys what "someday" is, do I?

Not only that, but will we EVER get to hear them perform "When You Were With Me" again? Fat chance! (Hint hint: I LOVE that song. One of Wally's great masterpieces. Please...)

Boy, *that's* the truth! I don't think I'd ever heard that song prior to the show, and it was so fantastic! Watching Kay Bryson, who was watching Wally with big tears in her eyes (of joy, I assume!) is one of MANY pictures forever burned into my memory. I understand why they might not want to do that song outside of Cleveland, but that's just 1 more reason why there should be some release of THE reunion show.

Jack