Making a case for Eric as a solo artist to the HOF

Pat the criteria for induction can be found on the Hall's website, but here it is:

Performers

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation’s nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 500 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes - and more than 50 percent of the vote - are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

Non-Performers

Songwriters, producers, disc jockeys, record executives, journalists and other industry professionals who have had a major influence on the development of rock and roll.

Early Influences

Artists whose music predated rock and roll but had an impact on the evolution of rock and roll and inspired rock’s leading artists.

The special selection committee elects the inductees in the Non-Performer and Early Influences categories.

Side Men

This category was introduced in 2000. It honors those musicians who have spent their careers out of the spotlight, performing as backup musicians for major artists on recording sessions and in concert. Though they often play a key role in the creation of memorable music, the public rarely knows them by name. A separate committee, composed primarily of producers, selects the inductees in this category.

ENDQUOTE

Make your own judgements.

"As much as the people on this board might think Eric is deserving to be inducted as a solo artist, the reality is that those who are in charge of nominating/inducting for the Hall are clueless to the significance of Raspberries, and probably less informed about Eric's solo career"

Marv - Very true, and I agree.....but, as I was reminded the other day about a similar post I made about the crowd hearing the boys last Friday night....

"John you're probably right on most of these points, but just let us enjoy the moment. So pls remove the pin from the balloon."

Pat, this is my point...It's the R&R HOF...and many deserving artists have not even been nominated. The Raspberries are much more "Rock and Roll" than Eric solo...not a bad thing Eric evolved...and as we all know can still rock it. Eric, as a solo act will never be inducted...that's not what they're looking for...Eric as a member of the Raspberries IS what they are looking for...because of the quality and asskickingness of the Berries music , and the undenieable influence they had...we just have to wait for the top men on the nominating committee to remove their heads from their rectums.

Perfectly stated, Steve. I believe that the Berries rocked the place enough that those heads were removed Friday night. :-)

If they keep them out and get some oxygen to their brains, they'll set the wheels in motion for the Berries to get their rightful due.

smile --Darlene

Tony - That's a great idea!....but Barney Frank??? (Can't we at least get him a good looking one?)

While I'm hoping this is NOT the case.....what I'm afraid is going to happen is this - Yeah, the ass-kicking concert on Friday reminded a lot of the crowd members about how great the band really was and still is. However....most of these same people are music industry insider-types and hate admitting that they ever missed the boat on anything, let alone a fairly high visibility band in the 70s with Top 40 hits that's belonged in the Hall all along.

Once they start thinking about it, they'll say to themselves - yeah, these guys were great Friday night, but dammit, there's a good reason that we never even thought about nominating them in the first place....which will rationalize their long-held opinions (or ambivalence) about the band.

The result? If the 'Berries appear anywhere near them in future, they'll go see them in a heartbeat....but nominate them for the Hall of Fame? Nah, they weren't that good in their heyday. Admitting otherwise makes these guys on the nominating committee look foolish.

If anyone doubts this, just check out most of the posts on this board where the poster is talking up a new or previously unheralded band. Hardly anyone ever responds, and I'm guessing most people here just don't care. After all, we're all music experts here, we know what we like, we stick to the old tried and true, and God forbid we actually find something new where we've missed the boat! Once in a blue moon it happens, but as a general rule, we're all set in our ways as far as our musical tastes.

But I really hope I'm wrong about Raspberries and Friday's crowd...

If anyone doubts this, just check out most of the posts on this board where the poster is talking up a new or previously unheralded band. Hardly anyone ever responds, and I'm guessing most people here just don't care. After all, we're all music experts here, we know what we like, we stick to the old tried and true, and God forbid we actually find something new where we've missed the boat! Once in a blue moon it happens, but as a general rule, we're all set in our ways as far as our musical tastes.

John, truer words were never spoken.

At the 2005 NYK shows, Diane introduced me to a friend of hers who told me that he worked for Capitol in the early 1970's. As a joke, I said to him, "It was your fault that Raspberries didn't make it!" He replied to me, "No doubt. We were more interested in promoting the bands that were selling, like Steve Miller and Grand Funk. We didn't do anything for Raspberries."

I wonder if any of those Capitol people now look back and wonder about what could have been?

Personally, I think the two best things they could do to make over the voting process are: (1) rotate the voters, only letting each nominator/voter do this for a year or two and then move on, which would give the panel/group a fresh outlook there every few years; and (2) more importantly, keep Jann Wenner away from the damn process entirely!

He honestly thinks he's providing much-needed quality control to the process, but all he's really doing is interjecting his own opinion and running roughshod over what the voters actually, in some cases, want to do. (Example: deciding that inducting a rap act was more important than allowing the Dave Clark Five, who were one of the top 5 vote getters 2-3 years ago, into the Hall.....Dammit, stick by your own rules!!!)

P.S. Chicago? To put it bluntly, too adored by their fans (and too commercially successful)and universally hated/panned by critics to ever really be considered for the Hall. Also ignored by Rolling Stone, Wenner's rag, for most of their career. Sad but true.

The best HOF strategy is to get the Raspberries in first.. essentially you need to combine commercial success with influential impact. Raspberries have the stronger influential card, and have been more exposed recently thus suddenly hipper. The iron is hotter on the group.

Get them in first, THEN the next year, start campaigning for the guy that actually conceived and WROTE those songs, and had even greater solo commercial success, who at this point .. cannot logically be denied. Plus, at this point Wally, Dave, and Jim would be more likely ambassadors on Eric's behalf, with the group already in.

IMHO..