TV Performance Question

Julie

Pardon my ignorance, but I was watching some video of Eric tonight when he was lip-synching some of his hits and I got to wondering about how this is done. I mean, here's a bunch of musicians playing away on guitars, drums, etc., and it is so obviously the recorded version of the song that is airing on the show. Are they really playing and/or singing to the live audience, or are they just faking everything?

If they are just standing there moving around and moving their lips, I'm just thinking that must feel really stupid!

Just wondering.....

Thanks,

Julie

Julie--Didn't want you to think that nobody cared, so here's my take on lip-synching. The guys are singing, but the mics are not on. They are playing the instruments, but acoustically. The drummer is the one who has to be careful of what he plays. The idea is that the piped in version of the song is going to be much louder than anything the guys are doing un-amplified, so it should cover them anyway. O.K., this 'expert' opinion is from someone who has never been in a band. But at least you have a response smile --Kirk.

Julie,

Yeah, they do feel REAL stupid. Back in the 60's & early 70's, it was standard practice to lip sync to your latest hit record. It's not very common anymore. If you look close at some of those old clips, the guitarists normally weren't plugged into anything, and the drummers tried hard to not actually hit any drums or cymbals. Sometimes the cymbals & drums had pads on them to deaden the sound and the cymbals would still move. It guaranteed a proper sounding performance with no mistakes. (Kinda like Milli Vanilli in a fashion) If I remember correctly, Wally Bryson talks about having to go through that in the Overnite Sensation book. A performer had to feel like a total dweeb back then.

Kirk and MAM--

Thanks guys! I was feeling lonely in this posting! I kinda figured they were either singing softly or something and that it had to be just totally the most dorky thing to stand there and do. Eric did "Top of the Pops" and sang "Hungry Eyes" way back when and he forgot to mouth some of the words and he got the weirdest look on his face. It's a funny clip.

happy Julie

I've done a TV spot with a band I was in...(gee that's good english!!)

This is the way it worked with us...we brought our recorded material, and they played it through monitors (speakers) facing us. We had to go over the intro a couple of times so that we could actually start right. Nothing was plugged in, but be sang out loud over the recording. The drummer had towels taped to his drum-skins, and used plastic-practice sticks....To be honest, it was harder work than doing a live taping.

PREVIOUSLY STATED:

"It's not very common anymore."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!?

EVEN IN LIVE PERFORMANCES THEY ARE FOLLOWING TRACKS NOW. EVERYONE FROM BRITNEY TO SHANIA TO EVANESANCE. AND THE WORST THING ABOUT IT IS THAT ANY LIVE VOCALS HAVE AUTO TUNE GADGETS ON THEM. THIS SUCKS.

Zuke,

Seriously? Guess I've not been keeping up to date. Autotune is a wonderful invention, but it's used WAY too much. And to use it in live performance ..... something ain't right there. If they can't do a quality job live, they shouldn't be on stage in my opinion.

Let's see... Mariah, Britney, Christina, Janet = all fake.

Who are the idiots that convince these women that fake ugly hard boob jobs sell more CDs?

Ooooops! Because they do? Geeeez!

Celine's are still real. I'm not sure about Shania, after the baby...Anybody know?

Can't tell about Beyonce. She is young, they could be real.

Ahhhh Jewel!...Still natural...till she gets a reduction in a few years...

I just love booby talk. eek

I had broken my nose three times in my life,(age 3, 13 and 19. The last time was in college doing a backwards somersalt off a trampoline and the spotter moved away and my nose hit the metal bar. The doctor who set it must have been a veterinarian--what a terrible job. So I had a rhinoplasty when I was 30. That was when I was still young and heroic. I have no desire not to have real ones. Who need an 18 hour bra and a perpetual backache?

smile --Darlene