Rock Vocalist Sound Alikes

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Brian Wilson's early falsetto is very hard to duplicate, check out Jeffrey Foskett's solo or live material (the guy who does the high parts on tour with Brian W.).

Speaking of Christine McVie & Raspberries similarities, what about Scott McCarl's eerie approximation of McVie/Buckingham on that cut ("Falling In Loving", I think it's called) on his solo CD "Play On"?

Yes Scott's "Fallin In Love" is certainly a Christine/Mac sound-alike. In fact in the liner notes I believe he mentions that this was intentional.

Jeffrey Foskett has come as close as anyone can to replacing that immaculate voice of Carl Wilson's, while also hitting Brian's high harmony parts. Thanks to a fellow board member, I receive a copy of the Jeff Lynne tribute, "Lynne Me Your Ears" and on it, Jeffrey does a wonderful version of "Telephone Line."

Marv

Billy Squier---Freddie Mercury

Mogg(from UFO)---Robert Plant

Lisa Stansfield---Barry White(if he was female, skinny, blond and English).

Tori Amos---Kate Bush

Martina McBride---Reba McIntyre

Dean Torrence----Mike Love

Bjork----Yoko Ono

Brian Howe(Bad Company)---Bryan Adams

Irv, I didn't know that was the Peppermint Rainbow.......always thought it was Spanky....

The real Spanky even toured the "Oldies Circuit" for a bit playing Mama Cass in a refurbished Mamas and Papas-but- I never heard of the Peppermint Rainbow again.

Peppermint Rainbow did have a follow-up, "Don't Wake Me Up in the Morning Michael." It peaked at #54 on the Billboard charts. I thought the same thing when I first heard WYBSAM -- Spanky. I saw her that Mamas & Papas tour with McKenzie Phillips filling in for Michelle. It was one of the best shows I'd ever seen which was very surprising because coming in I thought McKenzie was going to be awful.

ScentLady-Somewhere in the cobwebs of the useless information I store in my mind I remember hearing that"Peppermint Rainbow" followup you mentioned. Now I'm about to really cheat by saying "Younger Girl" by "The Critters" sounded just like the"Lovin' Spoonful"-but-this song WAS on a "Spoonful" album and the "Critters were wise enough to release it as a single which intentionally sounded like the original.This is all a shameless way to weasel in what I really wanted to say.The next 2 "Critters" songs-the huge "Mr. Dieingly Sad" and the less succesful "Don't Let The Rain Fall Down On Me"-were great records.-Ira-Edison N.J.

"C'est La Vie" was a huge hit for Nevil in 1987 (?). Definitely Top 10, maybe even Top 5. Those of you with the Billboard stats can check it out. Robbie even did a duet with Stevie Nicks a while back on a Christmas tune, and I've always wondered where he disappeared to. Kyle's singing style is very reminicent to Robbie's - to these ears anyway.

Marv

• 4 weeks later...