But The College Kids Understand...

Hi all--an article on the Rab4 was posted today in "The Daily"--a newspaper for the students of University of Washington-Seattle.

It's sort of a discombobulated overview piece--moving everywhere from high praise to weirdly inappropriate cheap shots.

But hey--at least a new generation is discovering our boys--an important step in forwarding their wondrous legacy.

Click here for the article.

Light--Larry

Thanks Larry....it's a good sign that an obscure college paper out in Washington wrote a review and the writer seemed to really know the Group.

I agree that "Side 3" was hands down their best album and when they really found their sound...it's ironic in that it was also the time period when the Group was crumbling from within.

"Starting Over" was the best of the 4. Eric was at his songwriting peak which spilled over to his first 2 solo CDs.(Even songs written at that time like "Hey Deanie" and "Temporary Hero", but didn't make the cut, are musical and lyrical classics) Plus, Scott McCarl added another quality songwriter to the band. I just see "Side 3" as bunch of good but not spectacular songs.

Ya, I agree he was maturing and heading into his prime as a songwriter on "Starting Over"....."Overnight Sensation" and "Starting Over" were great songs that portended great things to come on the first solo and "Boats". But IMHO his writing on "Side 3" was more in touch with the identity/sound/strengths of the band.

I felt on "Side 3" they found the perfect balance between melody and power. Dave Smalley peaked as a writer and Ecstacy to me was the Raspberry song that best exemplified the synergy between Carmen and Bryson.

Or maybe it was just the album cover I liked. confused

What I mean is, Have any 10 different quality drummers and any 10 different quality bass players on the original recording of "Go All The Way" or "Let's Pretend" and it's still going to be a great song.(It's Wally's riffs and fills that would be hard to replace)

I think the producer is more important than a bass player or drummer. (till they go on tour)A producer can make or break a song in the studio by adding the right or wrong tracks and recording levels. If you ever heard the demo of Eric's "Sparrow" and then heard the studio final single, you can see how production values can butcher a good song.

I know, I know Marvin...You like to hype your concert going events like they were one-of-a-kind, all planets aligning, surreal religious experiences...When most of them are just some talented guys trying to come close to recreating live what they spent weeks in the studio grinding out. If they do it half-way decent in concert, the decadent rewards can be tremendous. spin

Bruce, Butch, and the 'Berries, of course, don't apply here...and are above this.

Tony I have no idea what you're talking about. My brain cells must be dead from all those one-of-a-kind, all planets aligning concerts that I've attended. Find a way to get yourself to a 'berries concert and then you'll see a great drummer and bassist in action.

Marvin

A drummer makes all the difference in the world -- both in the studio and on stage (just ask George Martin how he felt about Pete "Damn!" Best). I agree that "Let's Pretend" or "GATW" would still be classic, wonderful tunes with another 'quality' drummer, as the melody, vocals, words, production, guitars are always at the fore. However, they would not have been the quintessential Raspberries gems they are without Jim Bonfanti's classic touch behind the kit. He has a way with fills you just don't hear that very often -- at least I don't. I guess I liken this to the Beatles tune 'Rain,' which features some of the best Ringo drumming of all time. His playing -- to me -- is as integral to the success of that song as any of the other vocal, musical or production elements on it.

1. Starting Over

2. Side 3

3. Fresh

4. 1st Album.

In listening to them now, I really see development and maturing from one album to the next. For me, Side 3 is THE power pop album...it's the one that all the others ever released are measured against. Other bands have tried to copy "Tonight". The Posies did Dream All Day, John Eddie did Please Jodie...but none of these songs are "Tonight." My favorite is Starting Over. I don't see this album as a power pop album though...at least not in the same vein as Side 3. While Mike McBride's drumming is great, I really like Scott's contributions...Play On and Cry, as well as his vocals. Every song, with maybe the exception of Rose Colored Glasses, is a classic. Enuff said.

Now what this has got to do with college kids, I don't know. But at least that's my two cents worth. See you in NYC.

While I agree that I see nothing uniquely special about the drumming or bass playing on berrie records the playing does fit the songs and probably could have been done by many studio musicians.

Some Drummers and bass players do make a huge difference on record because of what they played.Musical drumming is rare on most tunes but there are lots of tunes where the drummer made the song because they played something unique

Ringo Come Together

Ginger baker

just about everything he played was different than any drummer and always brought something musical to the tune.

Steve Gadd 50 ways to leave your lover

Bonham everything

Moon We dont get Fooled again the Who was never as good without Moon and he greatly influenced the feel of their songs

Christian Nelson does! And anyone who reads that article, dated May 5, 2005 will be curious enough to find out what Raspberries are all about! It *is* a great read! The word is definitely spreading. All the sleeping people are "waking up and smelling the coffee," as Ann Landers used to say. And the reunion tour may not be a small one anymore...

smile --Darlene

I think McBride was a very good drummer. I think Bonfanti was, and probally still is (I haven't seen them yet)a great drummer. But I think Tony's point is that given the time and control of a studio setting, drums and bass are not the dominating forces in most bands. Given enough takes and over dubs, you can replace either.

That may be his point, but I'm not totally sure I agree. Anybody want to try replacing the rifts McCartney used to come up with? While some artist and/or producers might try to dictate every musical part-- each member of the 'berries seem to bring his own special touch to the studio.I like Starting Over more than Side 3, but not by much. I don't think it was the Raspberries music proggressing as much as I think it was something new from the M&Ms.Dang---theres another 2 cents worth that turned into a quarter.

JIM