Never Gonna Fall in Love Again

suede

Well, for whatever reason, ABM seems to have grabbed onto the public imagination in a way NGFILA did not...it has an immortality that NGFILA has not had. Who knows why? It's definitely not for lack of good craftsmanship, or good source material.

Which reminds me: if you've never heard Rachmaninoff's Second Symphony, go to this link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003...ance&n=5174

and click on the third sound clip, marked "Adagio," to hear part of the inspiration.

It's too bad that the clip isn't long enough to include the clarinet solo that soon follows...the melody of which Eric brilliantly worked into the bridge of NGFILA. But if you listen to the whole thing, you'll hear it...and be even more impressed by his ability to take the great motifs from a piece of beautiful classical music and weave them into just a few little minutes of tight pop.

Some of my more advanced students were playing another theme by Rachmaninoff (his Vocalise) and I got "inspired" and played some of the Rach piano concerto for them (on cd, NOT on the piano, haha!) One of the kids said, "I wish we could play THAT on our concert," and I thought, "WOW! What a great idea!" I began the arrangement with the slow Rach theme and then an abrupt tempo change and right into NGFILA. The kids adored it and so did the audience. Now they call it "Eric Carmen's" piece!

smile --Darlene

• 2 weeks later...

I think some the dated "happy" instruments and the mid-range tempo that kind of clash with the moody lyrics may have kept this great song from having the "ABM" staying power. You are crying, "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" while the instruments and rhythm section are doing a light happy Bacharach late 60's thing, like Carmen Smalley says...

But it is a great song and I like it better than "ABM".

I've often wondered how the song would sound as a slow version, with just Eric, his piano and just the string arrangement. I totally agree with you Tony, the "happy" instruments as you called them,(lol)made it seem like a jovial, bouncy tune while the singer is singing about giving up on love...

Man, I hope Eric doesn't read this!!! lol

Jeff

I am interested in the Terry Sylvester stuff. I heard the CD he made with the late James Griffin. Very nice. As the Midwest outdoor venues are now getting signed for the summer, are we to assume that the Raspberries will be doing a theater/night club route during their highly anticipated return, While realizing that Mr. Carmen's remarks are 100% accurate, I'm not sure if we should be traveling to Cleveland for another round of Choir shows or if he should take the Eric Carmen Band out on the road for the 30th Aniversary Tour. I saw the show here in Saint Paul, March of 1976. Started with the great Sunrise, if memory serves me correctly.

I would'nt change a thing on this tune.The "bouncy" arrangement adds a nice contrast to the fact that this is a really depressing lyric that needs somecounter balance.It reminds me of how G O Sullivan fools you on Alone again naturally with such a beautiful melody that glides along so well that you don't even notice he wants jump off a tower or his mother and father died.

A great tune. Wistful. Sorta simultaneously sad and upbeat. Great song. Always great for an album when you can have that level of second single.

What a follow up.

For "Fresh" I think Capitol should have led with "If You Change Your Mind'" and followed with "I Wanna Be With You."

For "Side 3" I think they should have led with

"Tonight" and followed with "Making it Easy"

Like many other fans I view "I can Remember" and "Overnight Sensation" as mini epics. I wish

"side 3" and "Fresh" also had adventuresome, lengthier numbers like these. For me, this could or should have been a Raspberries staple.