Who is on this board from the beginning?

mymooladi

Some of us heard the new MP3 Bernie gave us of the very beginning of the Raspberries. It must have been wonderful to watch this band evolve from high school band, to the Arora band, to the Raspberries on the Radio. Is there anyone on this board, that was with them the whole way through? There are a lot of lurkers out there too, I'd like to hear from you, if you were there from the beginning. June

Not even close. I first heard of Eric in 198(?) when Dirty Dancing came out. It was 1989 that I got into his '70s solo stuff. Of course, I wasn't even born when he started his career with the 'Berries, so it would have been pretty hard to have been a fan! I sure envy all of you who have had the pleasure of watching from the early years. It's sure been an interesting ride.

Sorry to say I missed out on the early Raspberries years. I first became aware of who EC was in 1975 or '76, when I was 9 or 10, because my sister had his first solo album. I was in college in the mid-80s when I realized there was this Raspberries group that he'd been with before his solo career. Probably his solo Geffen album, which I bought and liked very much, was the reason I was even investigating further at that point.

Jennifer

mymooladi, I discovered The Raspberries, since the Fresh Raspberries Album came out, even before when the first radio play played, Overnight Sensation, Go all The Way", Let's Pretend".

I have been following, Eric and his music.

I almost had all of the Raspberries, and eric albums, until I moved, someone pulled a get away

game.

I'm starting al over again.

The only thing I didn't do, was see him in Concert anywhere.

I live in Canada, not the States.

What does that tell you,

why do you ask that question?

I discovered the board, two years ago, I would have been on it earlier, if I had know earlier

that their was an Eric board.

Then again, I never had a computer then, like most others that are Eric fans on here.

Here is my queston?

How many had a computer when Eric was first on the internet?

I've been on the various incarnations of this site since the beginning.

I've been a Raspberries fan since 1972. Their first album was the first 33 I ever bought with my own money as a kid, after hearing GATW on the radio. I was hooked! Took the bus to get it and paid a little over $3.00 at the time, back when Sears sold albums. Compare that price to having paid $35.00 for "Winter Dreams" thirty some years later! (Quiet Marvin! LOL)

I knew of EC from his 1975 solo debut. Later, I bought the "Change of Heart" single. But it wasn't till 1983/1984 that I really found out how good his albums were thanks to the Target bargain bin. 1975 album, Boats... and Change of Heart album $1.99 each. I had to get Tonight Your Mine at a rare record store(Promotional copy). Starting Over $10 used, Geffen $8 new...

I only got the full Raspberries catalog 3 years ago on the Power Pop CD imports. But the 'berries German import greatest hits collection had all the songs I liked from the first 3 albums anyway...

Gord I guess I ask because I'm a little bit jealous of those who actually did have that pleasure of seeing the group evolve and watching Eric go solo and seeing his success. I only got hooked when I first heard the Raspberries on the Radio. It must have been great fun going to the shows at the Auora. For the guys too, I'm sure. Anyways, I wish I could have been there. Thanks to Bernie, some of us got a little peep show. June happy

What was great about the early Berries is that they only performed material that they could copy to perfection. I remember jammed packed clubs and watching a band play dazzle the crowd. Eric screaming out Jail House Rock by Elvis or one of many Beatle tunes. Wally did a good Mick Jagger and they performed a lot of Stones. Jim is an electrifying drummer and did a great Keith Moon. I also remember a 15 minute version of All Right Now by Free and Wally's killer solo.

I started listening to them when I heard GATW on the radio. Still have all my original LP's and probably can find a few cassettes yet too. I remember I traded a Eagles cassette with an old boyfriend for a Raspberries cassette. Wish that I had heard them in the early days. Thanks to Bernie I have been able to experience some of the older stuff. laugh

I do remember seeing that first Raspberries album back when I was a 'tween at McCrory's (a 5 & dime in Omaha). And, I remember hearing GATW and Don't Wanna Say Goodbye on the radio. I was also at that time buying "Tiger Beat" and "16" magazines as I was deeply into "Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods" at the time. What I remembered most about the 'Berries back then was this promotion that they were doing for a VW that was outfitted like a Rolls Royce. Thought that was pretty cool at the time.

Didn't have a clue that Eric was even in that group until after I heard "The Way We Used To Be" on Days of Our Lives (the soap) and my best friend said, "hey, that sounds like the guy that does 'All By Myself'.....you know, the lead singer from the Raspberries!" I guess she was a closet "Berry" fan from all the way back. Funny.

As for the message board, I was on the one before this one. Eric was the very first thing I ever "Googled" on the very first day I was ever on the internet! Cool, huh??

--Julie

I became a Raspberries fan in the early '70's, I guess 1971 when GATW hit the airwaves......I remember asking my old childhood friend..."who is that band with that cool guitar part?" My girlfriend got the single which her mother hated!!! (for good reason!) I listened to it many times, but was very unimpressed with the B-side "With you in my life".....not one of Wally's better tunes....a bit schmaltzy for me. However, given their name and the white suit thing, I wasn't too hot on saying I was one of their fans. I remember having a hard time finding their albums, because I waited too long.... But finally found all four in a 2nd hand record shop in Maryland in the late '70's when I was visiting the same childhood friend.....now in the navy. I took them back his his place and played them constantly......at one point, he said, "I'm really getting Raspberried-out!" Still have these old albums, in good shape to boot. Nice to hear all the other songs that never came out as singles. Really impressed at the melodic inventiveness and power of the group, but also a bit irked at some of the obvious 'lifts'....like the bridge of "Going nowhere tonight" lifted directly from the Beatles' "I don't want to spoil the party".

Kind of funny, when I missed their first few albums, and sort of forgot them, along comes "Overnight sensation" the fourth album which got rave reviews from Rolling Stone (that was a shocker).......and then it got album of the year for Rolling Stone.......and then the band breaks up!!!!

Never saw them live, but after seeing my DVD and remembering the early TV shows, I can honestly say this was the only band who could match and even top The Who for plain out excitement and power in a show! And no busted gear! Chew on that, Hollies!

And as far as the DVD goes, until something else comes along, this is mine! Legal or not. This is for the love of it.

I still wonder what Carmen/Bryson/McCarl/McBride could accomplish had they stayed together. Like John and Paul, I still say Eric needed Wally and the others to keep him on edge and provide the competition to keep the songs vital and rocking. And good. Like Paul, Eric is a genius, but I still think he was better with Wally...... wink