berries and baseball

Marvin,

Cleveland Indians had their break out year in '94. The fans came out in '95 and the club had 435 sonsecutive sell outs even though we all siad we were through with baseball. When you wait 35 years for a paennat race you swallow some pride. Remember we had to wait 31 years to see the 'Berries again. Some things are worth the wait.

In the span of two years the Expos lost Pedro Martinez, Marquis Grissom, Moises Alou, Larry Walker, Jeff Fassero, Ken Hill, John Wetteland, and Delino DeShields. This is off the top of my head so I'm probably missing one or two other players. In any case, that's the makings of an all-star team and I doubt that any teams' fans would continue to support a team that had to let go of so many stars in one fell swoop.

The other part of the story is, Cleveland had a brand new spanking stadium set in the downtown area to draw the fans. Montreal had the horrible archaic Olympic Stadium situated miles away from the center of the city. Plans had been drawn up for a new stadium right next to the hockey arena -a perfect location, but MLB in it's ultimate wisdom ruined the franchise and effectively ruined any chance for the stadium and the chance for the future of baseball in Montreal.

Marvin

Marvin,

I know the feeling. Cleveland lost Rocky Colavito, Roger Maris, DOn Demeter, Mudcat Grant, Dennis Eckersly, Graig Nettles, Chris Chamliss, Lou Pinella to name a few in the lean years..some just to meet payroll. Everything goes full circle. I watched the box scores year after year to see the players we got rid of win games and championships for other teams. Tomorrow is always another day with new hopes.

Peace

yes, it's *the* Rosie O'Donnell. You may recall before she was "famous", she was a VJ on VH-1. She mercilessly crucified Eric every chance she got, and one day she said something like "does ANYBODY like this guy?"... needless to say I saw red. I wrote a really miserable letter to her, then tore it up. Then I wrote her a nice one and mailed it. I told her about the berries (she didn't even know EC had been in a band previously), and how multi-faceted EC really was, that he wasn't just another boring artist. She hated EC's hair and relentlessly made fun of it, and she started making fun of ME on VH-1, saying things like "my friend Julie from PA LOVES Eric Carmen, she oughta get to a hospital soon". :rolleyes:

Anyway, Rosie replied to my letter, I replied to her, and before I knew it, we were writing constantly. I have a boxfull of letters from her. One day on VH-1 she said she would be performing at Rascals in NJ, and I went to see her. She introduced me to every comedian there, and when she started her VH-1 tv show "StandUp Spotlight", I was in the front row of the audience for the first 11 shows. She invited me to the wrap party and gave me a crew jacket. We truly did become friends (oddly enough, back then she didn't seem to have been gay). I even hand crocheted a dress for her sister Maureen's daughter, Katie, and Rosie showed it on camera on VH-1.

Then she was in Madonna's movie "League of Their Own", and suddenly she became a superstar. I have no clue why meeting Madonna seemed to catapult her career, but it did. Before that movie she was Rosie O'Donnell, nice person. After that movie she was Rosie O'Donnel, too important to bother keeping up a friendship with someone like me. She abruptly stopped writing, she got her own tv show, and she turned against her father, a man whose praises she always sang to me. She changed so drastically it was weird.

I still have the jacket. In fact, I'm considering selling it on ebay.

Wow JuliaD, That's one interesting tale! Who knew that you and Rosie used to be buds??!! I'm glad you set her straight about EC and the Berries. I thought maybe you met through a crafts connection. Remember how she used to invite crafty people on her talk show? I thought maybe you were one of them! Thanks for sharing!

Julia, Don't sell the jacket. Instead, let it remind you of the fantastic experience you had with the "real" Rosie O'Donnell.

Instant fame or success really does "spoil" most people, unless they figure out what's happening to them and become more grounded. Some people never can surmount dealing with it. Case in point, poor Andy Gibb. You see, before one becomes famous, it's easy to say, "I would be happy if...(I had more money, lost the 27 pounds I need to, found the right man (or woman), got a better job, was more appreciated, could buy my dream home, etc. etc. etc.) When people become famous, they think they "should" feel completely happy, not realizing that it probably only makes them feel more insecure. They feel as though there's something REALLY wrong with them, because they SHOULD be happy, but they're not. Worse, some people believe they're suddenly invincible, spend money wildly and get into financial trouble or start worrying about how to top that last performance, movie, album, or what happens if they CAN'T! Lastly, some actually feel GUILTY because they feel they don't deserve it all, or that it came too quickly or easily.

Rosie probably realized (like some politicians do) that she had to "play the game," and was so busy being with the "right, important" people that she didn't have time for anyone who couldn't offer her more success. It's really not her fault. It's just what happens a lot of the time.

She'll probably always have fond memories of you, and I think it's marvelous that you got to know her as well as you did. Besides, ya never know...you just may get a call one day and she'll pick things up where they left off. If not, you'll always have a nice jacket, and really neat memories.

If she doesn't mend her fences with her Dad, however, she's the one who will regret it later.

Success may come and go, and one can always "reinvent" oneself, but we only get one set of parents.

--Darlene

Nah, I have no desire to get back in touch with her, whatever friendship we had, she killed. When I knew her, she was a nobody. I supported her, I drove hours several times to see her, and when I knew her, she would have dropped dead of flattery if someone asked for her autograph. Now she's too snobby to sign autographs, and thinks she's too good to bother with the people who were there for her at the beginning. Believe it or not, when I knew her, I had more money and a fancier house and car than she had. Now she has a net worth of 2 million. I hope money buys happiness, cuz she trampled her friends and family on the way to the top.

Julie, when I knew her, she had two left thumbs when it came to crafts, in fact on the same clip where she's showing the dress I made for Katie, she says "I'd make Julie something, but I don't make stuff, I'm not good at that".

They were fun days, but I really do not consider her a friend anymore. She moves around a lot and has had several new addresses and phone numbers since I used to keep in touch with her. The last address I have for her was in Laurel Canyon, CA and I'm pretty sure she mostly lives in NY and FL these days. I haven't moved, if she wanted to, she could have contacted me at any time. I'm just not interested.

Anyway, here's a pic of us singing together at Rascal's, and I'm holding the jacket she just gave me

rosie