Truth, Freedom of Speech, and the like

JuliaD

Marvin,

Beautiful Sunday brought back a memory deep in my brain. I was standing outside a pub in Stirling, Scotland...(I live in Sterling, IL) in August 1972. It was in the daylight but the sun doesn't go down in Scotland until after 11pm. I hear this band playing through the open windows.."Beautiful Sunday" by Daniel Boone and 3 little girls probably about 8-10 were bouncing up and down clapping and singing to the lyrics. If camcorders were invented at that time I would have had a Kodak moment so to speak. It was priceless! Many years later I became the father of my own 3 girls so it is a neat memory. Thanks Marvin and all.

Phil (Sterling)

"Beautiful Sunday" charted pretty high. I have all of the KHJ radio charts from whenever the Raspberries had a song in the top 40. "Beautiful Sunday" is on there, don't remember what it topped out at, though.

In the early days of ericcarmen.com I might have been the first to mention my dislike of an Eric Carmen song, "Lost In The Shuffle". Although there could be no doubt about my appreciation for Eric's music when I posted that, I expected to be vilified for saying that. You can imagine my relief when Bernie jumped on board and said he didn't care for the song, either. What a great message board spin Kirk.

Do you guys have a death wish?

The last time I criticized Eric's music, Bernie sent down a couple of his LA "Connections" and beat the crap out of me. Then they implanted some sort of chip in my brain... crazy

Now I'm the "Manchurian Carmen Fan"

I love every single Carmen and Raspberries song ever recorded! Eric is King! Eric for President!

MAM and Darlene, go get a brain scan. I have flashbacks of you guys in the same room as I was! crazy

Mike, (MAM) Back to my tedious cliche: That's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

Of the tunes I like on a CD (by any artist) it's usually 2 or 3 (and with luck as many as 5) but that's about it. The difference with the Berries is it's usually 7 maybe 8. It's the only group that even comes close to approaching that number but I can find at least 2 maybe 3 on every CD that I just skip over.

Is this a great thread or what?

Ted

Honestly I think most bands are so jaded that they could care less what a bunch of folks on a music forum write about them.We really are not that important.The ones the people they will listen to are the ones that can get them on MTV or VH1.Has anyone in here ever recieved a public response from a berrie on this board?

my my my...i was referring to fess parker...not the 'beautiful sunday' fella (that song reminds me of a wonderful tune from the same time period by vanity fair called 'summer morning' ... only heard it a smattering of times -- and only on WOTT (FUN) radio on the beautiful shores of Chaumont Bay...)

Honestly I think most bands are so jaded that they could care less what a bunch of folks on a music forum write about them.We really are not that important.The ones the people they will listen to are the ones that can get them on MTV or VH1.Has anyone in here ever recieved a public response from a berrie on this board?

You yourself may have recieved a public response. Are you 100% certain they'd post with their own names if they posted?

And several of us have chatted with one or more of them in the chatroom.

And yeah, we *are* that important. I don't think VH-1 or MTV are gonna be playing Raspberries OR Eric tunes 20 times a day anytime soon. If they wait for them to promote them to any great degree, they might as well retire. It's *us* that keeps the music alive, not VH-1 or MTV.

Marv, not to nitpick, but I'm pretty sure it was...

HEY, HEY, HEY, it's a beautiful day.

And speaking as a musician, I don't think it's ever easy to take criticism from "reviewers" that can't do what you do. Especially when it's mean spirited. Music is like food. Not everyone likes the same things. There has never been a song that EVERYONE agrees on. So the guy writing the music can never win.

I think it must be tough for Eric to come up here and read posts from people ripping on Winter Dreams. That CD has "Born To Love You," "Forever Tonight" and "Top Down Summer" on it. Any of us “critics†written anything better lately?

So my motto is… be constructive or be silent.

Stut5, You're much more important than you realize. And, yep, some of us have had responses from Berries on the board through Bernie, and some have received e-mails and letters. And Julia's right, they are VERY interested in what we all think and have to say when they chat with us. They are also VERY excited about what's going on and what we think about it. It sounds like YOU'VE become a bit jaded, and, with the world we live in, it's no wonder! That's why I come here for a breath of fresh air, although I've been extremely busy playing and teaching lately. (Rehearsal tonight--and lesson plans--that's why I'm on so late!)

I know some people think I'm "Sweet Susie Cream Cheese" and make lemonade all day, but the truth is I've put a few claws out there. Like MAM, I love just about everything Eric and the Berries have produced. When I've learned to write music like they do, I'll be sure to give them some suggestions. But I can't, and their songwriting and virtuosity just knock me out! I agree with Ted, in that constructive criticism provides helpful suggestions in a positive way. Destructive criticism for the sake of tearing down anything is pure negativity. Artists avoid negativity like the plague. Honesty in a nice way is great.

I choose to be positive. I don't feel the need to "kiss up" to anyone or anything, but what I say is basically a reflection of what I am thinking. Negative thoughts in my head bring me down and negate my accomplishments. So I keep positive. With the boss *I* have, I MUST. Banishing negative thoughts has helped me avoid ulcers, asthma and all kinds of things some of my friends have grappled with, and I could never have accomplished anything without it. It works for *me*!

smile --Darlene

• 2 weeks later...

Well, folks, everybody has a right to an opinion...after all, most of us don't make movies either, but are more than quick to share our opinion of the latest one we saw...but, that having been said, our right to express our opinion doesn't mean that our criticisms are always going to be heeded or paid attention to.

It's part of the artist's job to decide which criticism is worth listening to, which is not, and then to give each kind all the attention it is worth.

Oh, and does anyone have an mp3 of "Lost in the Shuffle"? Unfortunately all I have of the TYM album is vinyl and I no longer own a turntable.