Questions For The "Out-Of-Towners"

John Shaft

My family and i were impressed driving into Cleveland - I thought it was empty because of the holidays but very clean and I liked the architecture.

I didn't like the boldness of the beggars...I guess in New York City, they have so many more people walking by on a daily basis, they don't have to say much of anything to make a "living."

The prices are much better than NY!!!!

We walked back from the HOB at 2 a.m. and felt fine - then again, I was with a 6'6" tall man.

When we all make it back for the NYE concert, all the single ladies will hook up to go from place to place.

Peter the hubby would definitely go for the historical aspects of Cleveland - he would be the first to drag you....I mean TAKE you to Grant's Tomb on Riverside Drive in Manhattan. It is a beautiful mausoleum, refurbished recently. We were there one day and a tourist came inside, and looked down at the sarcophagi (Grant and his wife, Julia Dent are both there) and said

"we just came off the Circle Line (a tour boat up the Hudson River) and the tour guide said that grant isn't buried here. His horse is!" (the horses' name is Cleveland!!!)

We just about fell over the railing into the tombs!!! That's a NY tour guide for ya - full o' s***!!!

You can't believe the number of people that do NOT believe the park service guides when they promise Grant and Julia are buried there!!!

Grant was buried at a plot to the north side of the current tomb while it was being built. Then he was re-buried at the current site. Julia used to visit him and not many people knew who she was but she always left a red rose for him. ahhhhh...so romantic.

We too, were approached by beggers, but we didn't feel unsafe at any time. All the Americans we encountered were so polite and laid back. On the RT from the airport, a guy saw us with our suitcases and said, “Welcome! Are you Italian? Enjoy your stay”, which I thought was great. You wouldn't get that sitting on the tube with luggage in London, no way.

This was my third trip to Cleveland but I really didn't get to see much of it any of the times I have been there. I have gone to the R&R HOF twice and really dislike its layout so now I stay away. Traveling alone I did find the beggars made me a bit cautious but not overly so. I was amazed though that I asked a women standing outside the Arcade how to get to the bigger mall and she pretty much walked me there! That was so nice. I hate to admit it, but here in Boston they'd take for a ride on that one and you'd come out somewhere in Rhode Island!

If you want to take a cab ($25+ tip)from the airport (vs the RT), I strongly recommend Red Sparrow Transportation 216-387-7593. Go with a friend and split the cost. Ask for Sean and reserve the pickup time. He'lll be there

Spotless Grand Marquis, clean cut articulate owner/driver (Sean looks to be either ex military or FBI type). Very impressive.

Ted

I agree. It's a pleasant journey which takes about half-an-hour and a bargain at $1.50. As we approached the exit barrier at Public Square, we were asked if we needed directions to our hotel. A policeman guy (he looked very official!) went into great detail with a lot of enthusiasm, but I was too busy absorbing his wonderful accent to be paying proper attention, and told him so as well!

Those of you who remember the big Christmas tree in Pubic Square may be interested in visiting cleveland.com today to learn of its terrible fate! :-) The high winds yesterday were just too much for it! Now Cleveland doesn't have a Christmas tree, it just has a Yule Log! LOL!

Anyway, I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say there are good and bad things about Cleveland (one of them being the panhandlers, but they were not so bad this summer as they are right now...it's like running a gantlet every time you hit the Square...personally I think they're trying to take advantage of people's holiday spirit right now), but it is still home for me and it was realizing that this past year that made me decide to move back. I will put its "beauty" up against some truly ugly cities I have been in any day, and say that what it lacks in aesthetics sometimes it makes up for in other ways...such as that culturally it is not the back of the beyond like some places I have known. There are many fine things about it despite all the flaws (yeah, we really do need to do something about being the "poorest" major city in the US). And as you all know, it has one particularly fine thing of which it will always be able to boast...long may they wave!

That's okay, Trindy. One of my friends has a sister who is a music teacher. Her big "Public Concert" at the mall was accompanied by a printed program and the school secretary made exactly the same error you did--no L in public. So in HUGE letters on the front of the concert program, there for all to see was, you guessed it! We laughed so hard! My friend pointed to it and asked, "What IS that? I've never been to one!"

smile --Darlene