Questions For The "Out-Of-Towners"

John Shaft

I didn't get to spend an awful lot of time there, and I'd love to go back in summer, when the place is a bit warmer!

My hotel (Renaissance) was fabulous, the very description of "elegance". The food in the hotel was good, and very reasonably priced for the quality, too.

I went to the Rock Hall, but didn't do the $20.00 tour, I only had about a half hour there, and to spend $40.00 for a half hour stay just wasn't justifiable, so I spent my time (and money) in the gift shop, getting stuff for my son. happy

I have to say, I was astonished at the number of street beggars I was approached by, I guess I'm just not used to that sort of thing. If I gave everyone who approached me just $1.00, I would have emptied my bank account.

Parking is horrendous there, it's not a place I'd want to have to deal with on a daily basis. One odd thing, to me at least, was the signs saying "Cleveland Corps Limits", "Independence Corps Limits", etc... what is that? I've never seen a sign saying "corp limit". Is that "city limit"??? That was new to me.

I liked visiting, and it's a place I'd like to visit again, but no way I'd want to live there, it's just too busy for me, I'm not used to that. I've spent a lot of time in the D.C. area, and even that isn't as nuts as Cleveland was, I feel more capable of handling D.C. on my own than Cleveland. I didn't hate it or anything, it's just very far removed from what I'm used to, and I'm not sure I could adjust to the "busy-ness". But it's a cool place, and the people were very nice. smile

Cleveland is a great place! A few years ago, Cleveland ranked #1 in a study about where the greatest place to bring up children/raise a family was. We agree:

1) Culturally, it's the place to be. It seems to

have most of the advantages of New York, but

far less dangerous, as far as crime, etc.

I have always loved The Cleveland Orchestra,

much better than the New York Philharmonic.

And I have two very dear friends (great violinists) in the Phil.

2) There is so much to do in Cleveland. And everything is pretty easy to get to. But not as huge as New York, which can be a pain as far as transportation.

3) People were fabulously nice. We were very impressed with store owners, and the general public. People in general were marvelous.

4) Cool, crisp air compared to New York and NJ.

We give Cleveland an A+!

smile --Darlene

Hi John, It was my very first time to visit Cleveland.

I always wanted to see Eric's hometown,so I was very excited. I took RTA from the airport ,but only I was in the train. Maybe it was because of the thanksgiving,but I was a little nervous and asked myself "Am I in the right place? It's Cleveland isn't it?" Anyway,the train took me to Tower City .

Unfortunatelly,I didn't have enough time to see around the city ,but I think Cleveland is very beautiful and clean city.

Kazumi smile

I agree with you, Darlene. The people were wonderful. I made the trek by myself, and was thankful there were friendly people along the way. Everyone from the taxi driver, who pointed out interesting things along the drive to the hotel, to the bellman who greeted me at the Wyndham, (which is lovely), were very nice. The city, in my mere 15 hours of being there, impressed me as a large city with a bit of a small town feel. I can't wait to visit again with a little more time to spare.... Marlene

I agree that there were way too many beggars. I actually saw one harassing a guy doing his shopping...following him around the Tower city mall. If security sees it, they stop it, but they cannot be everywhere. I guess that is why I have not been able to convince our prof. engineering society to hold a meeting in CLE. They know the cities, being stationed in the Midwest themselves.

Now the good stuff...I thought the RTA train system was pretty good and cheap. It got me everywhere I needed to go in a relatively short time, including the R&R museum. I liked the Christmasy feel of the Tower City mall and free internet access (so I could look at the Eric Carmen board the morning after the concert (heh heh). Downtown isn't bad and good proximity to food.

It was GREAT to meet so many of you.

Steve T from Leland, MS.

Obviously, there will be some negatives in any city, but if there's anything you didn't like about Cleveland, you would HATE it in New York!

I love New York, but Cleveland has all the advantages, and less of the disadvantages, because it's smaller. We definitely want to come back when we have more time, like in summer, when we can leisurely walk around the city and explore all types of musical and cultural opportunities.

smile --Darlene

It was a great experience in Cleveland. I took a tour of Science Museum before I went to the Hall of Fame on Saturday and thought it was "world class". The parade on Saturday didn't match the Philly Thanksgiving Day parade but it was certainly a nice touch to the visit. As far the beggars were concerned...I've seen a lot worse in downtown Philly. At the airport, it's certainly a loooong walk from the entrance to Gate 17 in Terminal D. I wouldn't mind returning in the summer for a Indians game and the Cedar Point amusement park!

I hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings, but I got around most of downtown and I thought Cleveland was probably the least attractive city I've ever seen. There are some interesting buildings from an architectural pov but I found the city lacked any real character and was overshadowed by an industrial look. There was a lot of dilapidated buildings in the area of the HoB but it does look like they are trying to revitalize the area. I went to the Flats on Saturday night and it looked like a ghost town. The East side had a strip club and a seafood restaurant open but that was about it. We walked all the way around to the west side (There were no water taxis) and it was only a little better. We ended up at Howl at The Moon and had a good time but the Flats didn't live up to it's reputation. Maybe things don't get going until 1:00am?!? Anyway, this probably sounds far more negative than I intended. I didn't get to the Playhouse area or University Circle which I hear are nice and I imagine there are great areas in the suburbs, but I found downtown Cleveland to be pretty much like the stereotype most people have of it. Still, I had a great time and would like to come back in the summer sometime for some more Raspberries and an Indians game with Harry!

The Flats are not what they were a few years ago. Summer is better down there as they have live music and such but the entertainment establishments came upon some rough times after a couple of accidents (drownings) from drunk patrons that fell off the piers and then another incident when a drunk ran his boat into a docked vessel at a pier.

I was there by myself, and I don't think I would have felt comfortable walking alone in that area. I was glad the HIE was as close as it was to the HOB. I did walk back from the HOF on Saturday, but I knew that the route I was on was busy and lots of traffic with the Xmas tree lighting and parade. I thought about walking down to the square for the lighting, but again didn't want to venture out by myself at night. I tend to take taxis if there is somewhere I want to go at night. Being a small town girl, I don't even walk around my town at night!

I wish I had realized you were there alone and I would have made it a point to stick around you. There were so many people floating around I never noticed you were solo. I'm sure with a couple of tough he-men like Rick and myself your fears would have been dissipated. Seriously, though, it's not a good idea for a lady to walk around alone, particularly at night. It may sound sexist, but it's a fact that a criminal is more likely to prey on a solo lady.

I have mixed feelings about Cleveland. I see a city trying to regain its glory - but from my view it's a long journey, but doable. The number of street beggars is shocking. Actually, it's inexcusable.

If I was to color it , I'd color it "Drab." Perhaps, too, it's the time of year when every thing (except the lights) is either gray or brown.

I was in Cleveland 2 years ago and it doesn't look much different today. The potential is there but it will take a major committment to turn it around.

Like BadfingerBarb, I'm not trying to be mean, just reponding to the question.

If it's any consolation, it won't stop me from returning.

Ted

After reading all these posts about Cleveland, I wish this show would have happened in late May. I have traveled all over the USA and Cleveland is just as good as any other major city. Every city has there good and bad sides. Cleveland during the day is far more interesting than at night on a holiday weekend.

Here's a few things that werent pointed out to the visitor. The HOB is just a stones throw away from where the term RockNRoll was coined. The Terminal tower was the second largest building in the world when it opened. John D Rockefeller lived at East 40th and Euclid just down the street from the HOB. The world class art museum is still free and is one of the five best in America. Civil War General and President James Garfield is buried in a gorgeous tomb. A must see in the summer with a beautiful view of the city from its third floor balcony. Also, Lucy is on display at the Natural History Museum. ( A Very important link in the line of evolution).

Downtown Cleveland on a Holiday weekend mustve been deserted. Euclid Ave is about to have a public transpostation corridor built all the way down to the University Circle area. Unlike NYC where parking our band van cost over $40, Cleveland is tremendously less expensive. I will admit that out of towners have to pay higher near their hotels for lack of knowledge.

But most importantly, Cleveland is the home of the Raspberries! NIN, O Jays , Pere Ubu, Levert, and Daddy Dewdrops!!!!!!! Now eat your hearts out!

The Natural History Museum was one of the top things I wanted to do on my visit but there was no way I could squeeze it into my itinerary. It was either the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame or the History Museum and you can guess which won out. Where is Garfield's tomb? That sounds like something that would interets me. Is there anything commemorating Bob Hope?

The Lorain Carnegie Bridge was renamed Hope Memorial Bridge a few years ago. It is located near Jacobs Baseball Field. The Garfield Tomb is an impressive monument. It is all gilded with a beautiful statue on the main floor. The casket is still on display in the lower cyrpt. His Civil War flags are also down there. The Cemetary is only a few minutes drive from University Circle. Elliott Ness is buried there too and the Chapel was designed by Tiffany of NYC. You might get the idea that I am a history nut along with my love of music!

I'm likewise a history buff. I actually walked halfway across that bridge while I was having a walkabout. I took some photos of downtown from it. I didn't notice any signs or plaques referencing Hope so I never realized it was named for him. I also took some pictures of the grounds crew inside the Jake. I was disapointed the didn't give tours of the ballpark in the offseason. I took a tour of Fenway in Boston last November and really enjoyed it. Seems like a lot of things close down in the Winter in Cleveland (USS Cod and Mather Steamship Museum for example)

My wife Lisa and I took a 2 hour ride around Cleveland on "Lolly the Trolley" Friday afternoon. It was fun. I got to see many things I otherwise wouldn't have on such a short stay. The R&R Hall of Fame was somewhat dissapointing but that has nothing to do with Cleveland (They need more stuff. Two floors of Mary Wilson's dresses? Come on...) After all, it's the city that gave us the 'Berries. How can it be bad?...

I, too, thought there were too many beggars. I walked to the HOF on Saturday by myself, and although I didn't feel unsafe, I was approached by no less than 5 beggars. However, a few hours before the show on Friday, I walked from the HIE a block east to a drug store to pick up the local paper for the Berries article, and a few other things, and I didn't feel safe in that short walk at night. Not really scared, just uncomfortable, and I'm a 6'1" man.

The city has a lot of potential...I hope they keep working on it. Also, Will, the taxi driver that the door man at HIE called for us was great! He gave us a mini tour of downtown on our way to the airport. Drove a nice newer Lincoln Towncar and had a lot of great stories.

I grew up in Milwaukee, which is very similar to Cleveland in many ways, and I can tell you, even in the winter, downtown is much more hoppin and lots of nightlife going on. It just feels more secure than the feeling I got in downtown Cleveland.

I thought the Hall of Fame was excellent! That lower level had tons of stuff. The movies were great and just an overall great experience. I spent 3 hours there and could have spent three more. It was cool seeing Wally's Flying V missing from its hanger, knowing I saw him play it live the night before. As for the 2 floors of Mary Wilson dresses...it was not really that big since those floors are small. I only quickly walked through it, as it didn't interest me either. That bottom floor was amazing in itself. I felt too hurried, but I had a plane to catch.

Overall, a great trip, but I think the Raspberries had more to do with that than anything.

I believe the top two floors of the HoF change out pretty regularly. My pal Rick was telling me that it was all Beatles' stuff when he was there before.

Milwaukee is the city that Cleveland most reminded me of only Milwaukee is a better looking city and has more character in it's landscape. Kansas City is another city who's downtown sort of drys up at night and on the weekends but I never felt unsafe in Cleveland. I can't say the same about KC. It was a ghost town on Sunday in downtown Cleveland. There were a lot of beggars downtown and on the train but what surprised me was how many tried to sell me chocolate bars?!?