Band(s) You "Discovered"

Keith Nivan

Ok I'm guilty of straying off the thread, but one final note re my previous message: If you look closely at the back cover of the Eagles' "Desperado" album, the group of bandits lying on the ground include the band members and some of their friends: Jackson Browne, JD Souther and Dan Fogelberg.

Marvin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

during my college days at seton hall in south orange nj 1974 to 1978 my friends and i went to new york city many times to clubs like cbgbs and max's kansas city. we saw some truly great punk bands before they had record contracts. my favorites were Television, Talking Heads, Blondie,The Dictators and David Johanson.

Some local band called the Squares playing in Berkeley.....the lead guitarist later cut all his hair off, and became a guitar legend....Joe Satriani!!

Kansas playing a college show before really hitting it big.

Bob Seger opening for the Beach Boys in Oakland, CA......at that point, basically unknown outside of Detroit, for the most part. Was yelling for "Rosalie"(which occasionally got played on the FM stations in SF)....which didn't happen. But an excellent version of "Turn the Page" from the same "Back in '72" album.

Yes, and actually talked to Seger for a minute, as he went to the concession stand to buy a coke as the second band was setting up.

Ironically, Metallica's cover of "Turn the Page" is well-liked here in Seattle, yet many people don't have a clue it is an old Seger song.

Yes Bob was slugging it out in Michigan with only one national hit ("Ramblin Gamblin Man" - featuring Glenn Frey on back-up vocals) in the late 1960's before he hit it big everywhere in the 1970's. Interestingly, his last couple of albums have included Michigan'ers Craig Frost and Don Brewer on keys and drums respectively - former members of Grand Funk.

Marvin

Obviously the best I ever saw was the Cyrus Erie in the late 1960's before they were the Quick and the Raspberries. I saw Todd Rundgren as a member of the Nazz in the late '60's. (First heard "Open My Eyes" by Nazz played by the Cyrus Erie. That's what made me go see the Nazz). I saw Ted Nugent as a member of the Amboy Dukes at Geauga Lake Park. In 1976 I saw Tom Petty open for Meatloaf at the Painesville Agora.

Jeff Engel

Jeff: Artful Dodger disbanded in 1981, about a year after their 4th (and outrageously great) LP 'Rave On' was released. Lead singer Billy Paliselli, one of the most charismatic lead singers I have ever witnessed live, went on to record some solo demos that were never released (some really good stuff too). The group re-assembled 10 years later for a set of reunion shows in Cleveland to mark the 25th anniversary of the Agora (as you know, AD was always well received in Cleveland). The band released some powerful music over the course of a 5-year period (3LPs on Columbia; Rave On was on Ariola Records) but never broke through, despite the major label and high profile management (Leber Krebs). They remain, next to Raspberries, my favorite rock 'n roll band of all time. If you can find 'Rave On' anywhere you will know what I'm talking about...one listen to 'Come Close to Me,' 'She's Just My Baby,' and 'Get In Line' will do the trick. God bless Artful Dodger.

This may be dating myself, but I saw several posts about Bob Seger. I was lucky enough to see him in a band called Bob Seger and the Last Heard at the old Mentor Hullabaloo which at this time was called the Torchlight. They had just released a 45 called East Side Story. It was the first time I had heard a Gibson Fuzztone in a song. I was too young to understand what I was seeing! We needed fake id's to get into the place! The club was a 10 minute walk from where I lived. Then another "brush with greatness" happened in 66 or 67. Several of us went to see LA before we were to get drafted and wind up in Viet Nam. Well, the draft didn't call me and I wound up in a town called Manhatten Beach. One morning I went to the beach with a bottle of wine to watch the sunrise. Well, I'm sitting there drinking my wine and smoking and this skinney, long haired guy walks up and says hi. We talk and I say I'm new to the city and what do you do? He says I'm a poet and sing in a band called The Doors! Come to the Whiskey and see us! I had not heard of the band, they were just releasing the first LP and I said, sure I'll try. Well, the next time I saw him was back in Cleveland at Musicarnival. He didn't remember our encounter on the beach. Oh well!

Was in Manhatten Beach, Hermosa Beach and torrance for about a year and half. Don't remember the eatery you mentioned, but used to go to a place called incredibile edibiles, or something like that. Had great organic omelettes! Also walked into a jazz club and I forgot the name, in Hermosa, just before the pier and saw lionel hamptom playing vibes with his band. One of the reasons for going to LA was to check out the music scene, but quickly found that Cleveland at that time had much more going on!

There are still several jazz clubs in that area, if that's what you're in to. Anyway, the Bay 90's would be pretty hard to forget. Picture a saloon type setting, kind of zany; the bartender would occasionally lower spiders from the ceiling right down into the middle of your table! They had this one cut of steak called the 'Mysterious Masterpiece'. Only 2 steaks of this cut available from each steer. Most expensive steak on the menu. Funny thing is, whenever you would order it, they always had plenty on hand! I think they went out of business about 20 years ago. Sigh. Kirk.

• 3 weeks later...

In 1974 I became a classmate at school with bassplayer Dick Kemper. When there was an end of the year party at school I saw him for the first time performing, he was playing with his brother Paul on guitar, Bert Heerink leadvocals and drummer Jan Maurik. They were called Threshold. I always kept in contact with him and later on Dick Kemper and Bert Heerink went to the band of guitarist Adje Vandenberg, and with that group Vandenberg they hit the American Top 40 charts in 1983 with "Burning heart". They toured with Kiss and Ozzy Osbourne through the US and were also famous in Japan. Anybody knows the song?

Bob Allen's brother Tommy, discovered Kara's Flowers in 1995/6 in California... they've now since become Maroon 5 & have more money... i saw them (as KF) open for Save Ferris at Irving Plaza...

others:

Jane's Addiction (at Fenders in Long Beach)

My Chemical Romance at The Loop Lounge (their 1st live show)

Oasis at Maxwell's

Radiohead at Tramps

Bob Allen

Thanks for the Information on Artful Dodger. They are one of my favorites also. I have all four of their albums. Rave is great!!

I saw them "live" in Cleveland several times. They played the Agora two or three times and Cleveland State once. They were a great live band. Too bad they never hit it big. At least we have four albums to "rock" with.

"...when you really, really need it the most... that's when rock and roll dreams come through."

Jeff Engel

I saw Artful Dodger in Georgetown at a bar called The Door on the night before Thanksgiving in 1981. They were unbelievable. The first set was mostly new stuff, then the second was like a greatest hits...which was pretty much all four of their albums. I guess they broke up shortly after that. You guys are right, Rave On is an outstanding record. I remember Rolling Stone reviewed it, and they said something to the effect that Rod Stewart would give his soul to do an album that good.

Oh, I "discovered" John Eddie (used to see him every Monday night at a little bar in Cherry Hill, NJ in 1981); and Tommy Keene (saw him play for about 20 people at City Gardens in Trenton, NJ in 1982). Unfortunately, hardly anyone knows who they are even now, after 20+ years of putting out great music.

See you in NYC.

Before he got signed to Columbia in 1985, he had this great band called the Front Street Runners. They used to play the Philly area all of the time before they developed a following in the Asbury Park area. I saw them open for Beaver Brown at (Clarence Clemon's bar) Big Mans before Beaver Brown recorded the Eddie and the Cruiser Soundtrack. Great show...and I have pictures to prove it. But JE dumped the Runners and went to LA to record his first album. He hasn't been the same since, at least for me.

I have that first album - the only one I've bought. Some of it was pretty good, but most of it was too slick and no where like the John Eddie I saw live. I know that he's back recording and touring on a much smaller scale, and I've heard positive reviews.

Marvin

I would recommend you get his album "Happily Never After". You can get it on his website. His new one, "Who the Hell is John Eddie" is pretty disappointing, although there are some good songs on it. His lyrics are great. You're right, his first CD on Columbia was way too slick. His site is johneddie.com.

.....early, i agree w/ your john eddie assessment.....i saw the front street runners at cbgb's in the early 80's and was blown away by them......they did a brilliant cover of the crystal's "he's sure the boy i love",(changing the gender, natch).....i think he was never better than before he landed his first record deal......it seems to me his record companies tried to fix what wasn't broken.........