"Let It Be"

Raspbernie

Bernie,

THAT'S why I was so insistent about one of those early covers. I've been a loyal fan since I heard the first note. NEVER missed another gig.

Thanks for the cool .mp3. God, I wished I had been a recording guru back then instead of now.

Boy, they just nailed that break, eh? Everything sounds so AMAZINGóthe piano, the backing vocal harmonies, Wally's guitar. Speaking about Wally's guitarójust remember back then it was all up to the musician's six-string prowessÖthere were no stinkin' guitar/amp modelers.

Is it just me or did Wally just nail George's guitar sound on his solo? Man, he was great!

Bernie

PS: Not to mention Eric's spot on, letter-perfect McCartney!

That's the cool thing about Wally. All these different sounds from his guitar. And that's it, him & his guitar. No effects. It took me a long time to realize that it's the technique that gives you a certain "sound". Didn't matter if he played the "V", the SG or the Strat. He sounded like Wally. Eric did a great McCartney, Wally did a great Lennon & Jagger. I remember Dave having REALLY short hair & perfect harmonies. Must have just got back from the service. And Jim, well Jim was (still is)one rock solid drummer & great harmonies also. If I recall it right, he had "Rootin' Tootin" raspberry on his drum head. The whole band was a major inspiration to me. I've had some very memorable music moments in my life/career, but being 18 and watching them go from bar band to stars is near the top of my list. Hey, maybe sometime you could post the other half of the song & I can edit them together (for my own enjoyment of course!). laugh

Hey Bernie, I'd like to be able to thank you for the new mp3 but all I get is an error message that says internet explorer encountered a problem and it sounds like someone is trying to start their car. Am I the only one that this happened too? Kirk.

Bernie, Bernie, Bernie! Wherever do you get these recordings from?!!! Though I had a notion that the 'berries had covered some of th Beatles' material, I would never have suspected that "Let It Be" would have been one of those songs! For those of you who saw the band way back then, what other Beatles' songs did they do?

Marvin

Believe me, those of us who got to hear the 'Berries live DO very much realize how immortally blessed we have been. I think I can probably make that statement for everyone just by virtue of the fact that they were so unbelievably ALIVE!!!! They say every performer has a bad night, or at least one on which they either didn't do as well as they wanted to or didn't feel good and didn't do as well..I've had one or two in my life when I had something really virtuosic absolutely nailed, and then fluffed it. But these guys never had anything like that happen at any performance I attended. Not only that, but as I told you before, they were absolutely ELECTRIC!!!! They were always so ON, that uyou could just feel it as electric perfection throughout the room!

The MP3 is brilliant! Thank you a thousand million times for it! A cover is a cover, but a cover by Raspberries is something else!

As long as that recording is around, the Beatles will never be gone. I'm just loving it....

:)_ --Darlene

PS I forgot to add that I felt so blessed having heard them live, that when they broke up I was so ANGRY at "whichever one of them was responsible" in my head for months! I was absolutely depressed that they were no more. Whenever they were even remotely near my area I would go. I never did that for any group or performer in my life! All I can say is that the LUCKIEST people are those like Michael Miller, who are from Cleveland and got to hear them in their heyday at The Agora!

smile --D

I just played the MP3 for my husband and asked him who he was hearing. He stopped and said, "Beatles...." then he said, "wait, no it isn't because I don't hear John and Paul. It must be McCartney later on. Let me hear it again." I did and he said "You can't fool me--it isn't the Beatles. It's Mac later on, and he really sounds great!" Then I told him who it was and he was amazed. He said he had no idea Raspberries could cover THAT well. He said it was not easy to do that in the old days without all the technology available now. I told him that no matter who they covered, it was that great. He was amazed.

smile --Darlene

Mike thanks for the info. If only was there a way to go back in time and see some of those shows that you and others had a chance to see.

I'm sure that other people who have been in bands can relate to this: For any musician or band coming out of the 1960's and early 1970's, it was almost expected of you to cover Beatles' songs. For the 'berries to be doing this was not so uncommon. Throw in the fact that Eric was/is a huge McCartney fan, and the picture becomes even clearer. So why are people surprised that the 'berries were able to capture the Beatles' sound so effectively? The 'berries were good musicians, so no surprise to me that they were able to do a good job on covers. I've heard that their repertoire of covers was very varied - a further testament to their talent.

Marvin

Hey Marvin...I played in bands that would make it a point to play as close to the original as possible...even sound. We would actually have a song down note-for-note and still throw it out cause it just didn't SOUND like the original. Man once I was gigging at "The Commons" in Morin Heights and had a guy come up to me and give me the "two thumbs up" during a song...it was Michel Pagliaro, who walked in thinking the DJ was playing his hit "J'Entends Frapper" ...he was actually laughing *at me*...I thought..Who's this jerk?...After the set I was told it was PAG..

*Blush*..I went up and chatted......as for The Beatles, they were almost impossible to imitate as a "sound". You should know...you and I both played lots of Beatle numbers...we did them pretty well, and I could pull off Mac's voice pretty good too, but capture the Sound...that is tough...

What I heard here is a fabulous audio re-enactment of the Beatles, not just a cover.

By the way,...the same thing happened to me while singing "Go for Soda" by Kim Mitchell, who had a gig across the street. He was one pleasant fellow.

It is easier to duplicate the 'sound' of some groups than it is their vocals. And sometimes it's the reverse. The Beach Boys come to mind as an example of a group whose vocals are almost impossible to duplicate. In the Beatles' case, it was easier to capture their vocals than their 'sound.' I've always thought that Oasis in the earlier stages of their career, did a great job of capturing the 'sound' - mainly because they were using Vox amplifiers and Gretsch and Rickenbacker guitars. No doubt the 'berries do a fine job as well and this is certainly a credit to not only their abilities but their dedication to the Beatles.

Marvin