Best Remakes

James

i could go on forever.... but I'll do the ones that come to mind first...

1. FLASHCUBES: Hello Suzie (The Move), Do Anything You Wanna Do (Eddie & The Hot Rods)

2. POSIES: Song Of A Baker (Small Faces), Beck's Bolero (Jeff Beck)

3. PRETENDERS: Windows Of The World (Burt Bacharach)

4. TRASHCAN SINATRAS: Alfie (Burt Bacharach), Junk (Paul McCartney)

5. NANCY SINATRA: Let Me Kiss You (Morrissey)

6. DREAM ACADEMY: It'll Never happen Again (Tim Hardin)

7. PARASITES: Die Trying (New Math)

8. GARY CHARLSON: Hey Deanie (Eric Carmen), Do Whatever We Want (Vance Or Towers)

9. THE BONGOS: Mambo Sun (T. Rex)

10. DAVID BOWIE: White Light/White Heat (Velvet Underground), Don't Bring Me Down (Pretty Things)

11. EVEN JOHANSEN: Dancing In The Moonlight (Thin Lizzy)

12. MATERIAL ISSUE: Cowboy Song (Thin Lizzy), Blockbuster (Sweet)

13. CLASH: Police & Thieves (Junior Murvin), I Fought The Law (Bobby Fuller/Sonny Curtis), Police On My Back (Eddie Grant/Equals)

14. ENGLISH BEAT: Can't Get Used To Losing You (Andy Williams)

15. DUSTY SPRINGFIELD: What Are You Doing For The Rest Of Your Life (Barbara Striesand/Shirley Bassey), Spooky (Classics IV)

16. BEATLES: Money (Barrett Strong)

17. ELVIS COSTELLO: What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love & Understanding (Brinsley Schwarz)

18. DAVE EDMUNDS: Girl's Talk (Elvis Costello), Crawling From The Wreckage (Graham Parker)

19. GRAHAM PARKER: I Want You Back (Jackson 5)

20. RAMONES: Indian Giver (1910 Fruitgum Co.), R.A.M.O.N.E.S. (Motorhead)

21. DRAMARAMA: Memo From Turner (Mick Jagger), Candidate (David Bowie)

22. REM: Crazy (Pylon)

23. FRANK SINATRA: Misty (Johnny Mathis)

24. VELVET CRUSH: Remember The Lightning (20/20)

25. LIGHTNING SEEDS: You Showed Me (Turtles)

26. FLO & EDDIE: Afterglow (Small Faces)

27. THE JAM: David Watts (Kinks)

28. THE WHO: Leaving Here (Eddie Holand)

29. MATTHEW SWEET: Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)

30: BAUHAUS: Third Uncle (Eno)

31. REDD KROSS: Deuce (Kiss)

32. CHEAP TRICK: Speak Now Or Forever Hold Your Peace (Terry Reid)

33. DAVID CASSIDY: Tomorrow (McCartney)

34. GOLDEN SMOG: Love & Mercy (Brian Wilson)

35. DEEP PURPLE: Hush (Joe South)

36. LED ZEPPELIN: When The Levee Breaks (Kansas Joe & Memphis Minnie)

37. YARDBIRDS: I'm A Man (Bo Diddley)

38. TRACEY ULLMAN: Terry (Kirsty Maccoll)

39. ACTION FIGURES: 9 O'Clock (Snips), Dandelion (Stones)

40. SEARCHERS: Love's Melodies (Duck's Deluxe)

Dear Marvin, I misunderstood the original thread:

I thought it was "What songs would you like to hear remade?" Sorry. I think I've had too many "very" late nights on the board! I'm not reading straight.

Kirk, It's complicated because the harmony goes briefly to a key which is the flat third step of the scale in the verse (which makes it all the more beautiful), but I'll find a link to it on the net. Do you read music? If so, I'll write it out in manuscript and you can private message me with your snail mail address and I'll send it to you. It is gorgeous. Somehow, knowing you (at least knowing what I *think* you're like!), I KNEW you would ADORE it!

smile --Darlene

Excuse me, I'm not exactly batting a thousand today: Jake Holmes did "So Close," but TIM MOORE did "Second Avenue." No WONDER I couldn't find it!

I used to listen incessantly to both their albums in 1970 and 1971, and now they're inextricably linked in my memory. Kirk, I went to artistdirect.com and found Tim Moore's album with Second Avenue on it. It can only be found on the search by looking under the "Album name" category and typing in "Tim Moore," which is the name of the album. It was an import--never released in the US. Anyway, I e-mailed the little snippet of "Second Avenue" to you, so you'll remember what it sounds like. They did play my favorite part. ("I won't be shaving in your looking glass...) Actually, my very favorite line in "Second Avenue" is "...frost on the windowpane, where I wrote 'I am you,' on Second Avenue." "I *am* you." Wow, that's what we called a "heavy" line in the '70s. It *still* does it for me! Enjoy!

smile --Darlene

Jeff, didn't even know about the Crow/Yoakum compilation

Most of everyone's picks are good...but have a few to add to the list......

(1)Blinded By the Light(Springsteen)-Manfred Mann

(2)Spirits in the Night(Springsteen)-Manfred Mann

(3)Top of the World(Carpenters)-Shonen Knife

(4)Women Don't Want to Love Me(Chicago)-Bataan

(5)Came in through the Bathroom Window(Beatles)-

Joe Cocker

(6)I've Got a Feeling(Beatles)-Pearl Jam

(7)I've Done Everything for You(Sammy Hagar)-Rick Springfield

(8)Twist and Shout(Iseley Bros.)-Beatles

(9)Love is Strange(Ian and Sylvia)-Wings

(10)Sea of Love(Paul Phillips)-Honeydrippers

(11)Ghostbusters(Ray Parker)---Pompidou(Reggae Version)

(12)Return to Sender(Elvis)--Roy Loney

(13)Take a Chance on Me(Abba)--Erasure

(14)Hang Onto Your Ego(Beach Boys)-Frank Black

(15)You Belong to Me(Doobies)-Carly Simon

(16)Little Sister(Elvis)-Robert Plant

(17)One Bourbon One Scotch one Beer(John Lee Hooker)---George Thorogood

(18)Little Wing(Hendrix)-Stevie Ray Vaughan

(19)All Along the Watchtower(Dylan)- Hendrix

(20)If Not For You(Dylan)--Olivia Newton-John

Let's not forget Bette Midler's "Do You Wanna Dance"......the Beach Boys cover takes Bobby Freeman's original one step further but the Midler version takes up a new dimension with it being a nice SLOW song....

Ditto for Bataan doing that Chicago song....really slowed down.......but smooth!

The Stones did a great version of the Temptations

"Ain't too Proud to Beg"...one of my fave Stones songs...

And I like the Waylon Jennings/Jerry Reed country-fied cover of Sam and Dave's "Hold on I'm Coming".

"I'll Cry Instead" by Billy Joel is pretty much faithful to the Beatles' arrangement but certainly worth a mention.

Johnny Kidd's "Shakin' all Over" was not only a hit by the Who, but also the Guess Who. (Both better than the original, in my opinion).

Rod Stewart does Tim Hardin's "reason to Believe" as if he owns the song...

And a few More:

Satisfaction(Stones)- Otis Redding

Oye Como Va(Tito Puente)- Santana

New York Groove(Argent)- Ace Frehley

Mama Weere All Crazee Now(Slade)- The Runaways

darlene.....i love that tim moore song, and the line you mention is also one of my favorite all-time tear-jerker sentiments!.....both he and art garfunkel released that song at the same time.....art's fared a bit better on the charts, but tim's original does the trick for me.......all of his records are worth finding, including his first band "gulliver" with daryl hall..................

I am NOT the biggest Rod Stewart fan in the world (saw him live a couple of times and the whole thing just seemed kind of flat and rote), but as Billy K points out Rod the Mod does own "Reason to Believe", especially the unplugged version -- yeeeeeesh!

Cover geeks whose thirst has not been slated by this impressive list should visit:

http://www.coversproject.com/

a huge database of who did what to whose song and vice versa, if you know what I mean.

Very much worth a bookmark!

"K"

So many have already picked my picks, but speaking of Bette,

it may be sacreligious, but her version of "Beast of Burden" rocks to me. Crank it up and take a second listen.

Concur with Billy K on Hager-Springfield

Think Brian Setzer pretty much nailed Louie Prima's "Jump, Jive and Wail"

Though the arrangement is entirely different, Harry Nilsson did a pretty good version of "Without You" from another group I think you've heard of.

Badfinger did a great version of "If You Want It" from McCartney though it was identical, but Macca was unreleased

(BTW BF "No Matter What" is in my Raspberries littered top all time top 10)

I've never heard a Beatles, Raspberries, or Eric Carmen remake I liked better than the original, but having said that... Scott McCarls "Nobody Knows" is right up there.

In the same vein... remakes I'd like to hear is Raspberries featuring Eric singing Maybe I'm Amazed, and the same doing their take on "No Matter What" with those Raspberries harmonies, Wally's guitar, Jim's drums, and Dave holding down the rhythm section with that constant smile.

I think both Wally and Billy do a great version of "No Reply" and Eric's harmonies kill.

Jennifer Lee needs a spotlight song.. I'll come up with it.. I did this whole post in about 3 minutes, so haven't thought.. how about a jam of Gimmee Shelter and let her go nuts... Wally too..

Having said everything above, my fave is Raspberries doing Raspberries...

Come west boys, throw us a bone..

Seattle Steve