Raspberries Preserved

Tiggsherby

I just got a copy of the Raspberries Tribute CD and heard it for the first time this week. The first time through I was like...yuck, but after playing it over again I think it's really starting to grow on me. Actually, I can say I LIKE it!!!

I'm sure the board has covered this topic in the past but I'd be curious as to what others think of these songs.

I reviewed this one when it was originally released in 1996 and recently gave it another spin for research on another project I'm working on. I guess I pretty much think now what I thought then: there are a bunch of excellent tracks but the bad ones are REAL stinkers. Favorites include Ken Sharp's fragile "Waiting," The Rock Club's "Rose Coloured Glasses" (they make it sound like Badfinger!), Bill Lloyd's rockin' "Goin' Nowhere Tonight," superproducer Brad Jones' "Let's Pretend," the Rubinoos' sublime "Cruisin' Music" and the Gladhands' powerful "Play On."

The fatal mistake I feel the producers made was putting two of the worst tracks at the head of the disc: The Rank Strangers' sludgy "I'm A Rocker" and Tiny Lights' fey, sloppy "Go All the Way" (learn the words, people!). And the less said about Bunnygrunt's "you SURE these aren't runners-up from the seventh-grade talent contest" version of "Cry," the better.

Still, the success rate for me runs from 60-70% and it's nice to have a 'Berries tribute out there. Sure wish someone would give it another shot, though.

Right you are, Marvin...I believe you're referring to the group I moderate, which can be found at:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Raspberriestribute/

Marvin, I'd love to resurrect this idea if people feel the time has come. My own efforts to get something going diminished due to lack of participation, but I did get one submission, "Hold On" by the Khaotics, which was excellent.

If the time has come thanks to renewed interest spurred on by the reunion, I'd be delighted to work with you (and all our Raspberry buddies) on this project.

Howard

Good deal, Marvin.

I'll send a message to the group and try and rustle up some interest.

The original idea was to put together a CD of original songs inspired by EC/Raspberries to avoid copyright issues.

Any thoughts on this? I was involved with a fan tribute CD for another band...it started out as an all-original project, but ultimately did include some covers of the band's material, with the band's consent. Since it wasn't sold, and no money was made on it, the band had no problem with including covers.

Incorporating covers and original contributions could increase participation, so as long as the band would be OK with it, that might be the way to go.

Your thoughts, Marvin?

Howard

Howard I'm all for orinals or covers - anything that captures the feel and/or sound of the band - anything that increases participation. It's all for fun and a tribute to our favourite band.

Andy and I did something similar on a Beach Boys' newsgroup, with all funds raised from the sale of the disc going to cancer research in the name of Carl Wilson. I'm guessing that there wouldn't be any opposition if we could set up another donation-to-charity type of arrangement.

Marvin

there is an entire catalog of more than 40 tunes which someone wrote for me to sing. to date, i've cut 2 tunes and had a third one about 1/2 thru when i canned it. these tunes are written with Eric Carmen in mind, but he's not available so the writer presented them to me. they sound so much like EC that when i play them i have to try to _not_ sound like him.