Here There and Everywhere

darlene

It isn't just me. Looking at threads on both the Message Board and in Community, I see members talking about references to EC and the Raspberries popping up everywhere. GATW at RFK stadium, hearing EC and Razz tunes in stores and shopping malls, on the radio. Seeing 8-tracks of a Berries album in a car commercial, deejays starting to talk about and play Raspberries, their reissue gets reviewed in music mags, EC Marathon Man gets reviewed, I start hearing first Hungry Eyes on "The Breese 107.1" and now they're beginning to play Raspberries songs! And someone mentions the VH-1 reality show "The Barkers," in which a character was wearing a tee shirt that said "Rasberries." Then Dave's magical visit to the New York record shop that had Raspberries' stuff featured prominently all over! And I haven't even begun to cite all the examples!

No, it isn't just me. Anyone else starting to believe in magic?

smile --Darlene

Kirk--You have to remember that I've had a lot of practice believing--I've been doing it since 1975!

I *definitely* believe Los Angeles is closer than you might think! New York City was my big dream after Cleveland. Now that it's a reality, I can only believe LA is the next big one after that. I don't need ruby slippers for that one, although I *did* wear raspberry sandals to the reunion concert! Who are these lunatics from NJ and CA who are up at this time of night????!!!! Sleep well, my dear Kirk. We'll *both* get to see them in LA soon. Goodnight...

smile --Darlene

Just this past Saturday, I heard Hungry Eyes, then Monday I heard Go All The Way and Never Gonna Fall In Love Again. Then, driving to orchestra I heard Make Me Lose Control AND Go All The Way, just after which the deejay said, "That's the feedback you LOVE--! That was Eric Carmen and (the) Raspberries singing "Go All The Way." I forgave him for putting a "the" in front of Raspberries, because he seems to just love that song!

Prior to just recently I hadn't heard EC nor Raspberries songs on this station. Now, they're both lining up on the playlist!

As Chris de Burgh says, "Timing Is Everything," and it's all coming at the right time!

smile --Darlene

I went out to lunch with my oldest daughter today. We were put next to two "tables from hell". One was a group of 10, 8 were children under seven and the other 2 were mom's who didn't care how much their children screemed and tour up the place. The other table was 2 women who complained about everything. As my daughter and I were trying to have a nice conversation amidst all this mayhem, the first few notes of "Make Me Lose Control" started playing from overhead. The two of us looked at each other and couldn't hold our laughter in anymore. Then Athena said she has been hearing EC and Raspberries songs all the time now.

I think there's a really logical reason for it all. If you're not into rap or Latino, there's nothing much new to hold your interest. People interested in pop don't have many places to go but to the "oldies". It's a case of being in the right place at the right time, and having enough talent and charisma to sustain your sound over many decades. Quality is quality, it doesn't get old.

Darlene,

What's wrong with announcing the group as "the" Raspberries...that's the way I've always described them myself. There are a lot of groups where you just automatically put a "the" in front of the bands name based on the grammatical nature of the band's title. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's fine to say "Raspberries" or "The Raspberries".

A few other examples that I can think of which sometimes you see the "the" and sometimes you don't: Rolling Stones, Carpenters, and Spinners.

I grew up thinking my favorite group was Eric Carmen and "the" Raspberries...have I been wrong all these years!?! frown

I agree with you, tiggs, if you have an apple tree with lots of apples on it, and you say to someone "look how red and delicious they look" and they say "what?", your answer wouldn't be "apples", it'd be "the apples", even tho technically when you buy them at the store they're not marketed as "the apples". I know some people don't like it when they're referred to as "The Raspberries", but I don't see it as a big deal. *shrug*

I wasn't being serious--I was poking fun at the "controversy" of the "the." "The Raspberries" comes out most naturally, it's true. However you say it, the music's great.

Speaking of music, there isn't much out there to be into now, but there are so MANY oldies. My point is is that of ALL the things to play, deejays are just latching onto Raspberries and EC like they're all just spontaneously discovering it (or REdiscovering it). Nothing explains that except "magic." It's their time--Raspberries was meant to be NOW, of all times, even more than THEN.

smile --Darlene

"Raspberries" or "The Raspberries" doesn't matter.. people in any decade just need to hear their music in a vacuum without social influences.

My high school teenage daughters, who listen to the worst rap/crap/hip hop, but popular stuff, still when we get them away from their friends on the boat, love both the Raspberries and EC's solo stuff.

I must be old, when I was their age, I liked what I liked, and didn't care who else did.. and btw in college I turned more people around by not presurring or influencing social pressure but by merely playing this music in the background at a party, and more people came up to me and said who the hell is this.. it's great. I sold more EC/Raspberries albums than Tower Records back then. Did nothing but said...listen.

SS

Steve: You're great at educating people, and it sounds like you did a great job with your daughters. You also have great musical taste!

The music often appeals to young people as well as those in older age groups. There was a young man in the chat room several months ago whose nickname was Pugdogpearl, and he was only 20 or something and was wild about Eric's music. Hope he comes back.

smile --Darlene

I'm playing a concert tomorrow night and one of the pieces is "All By Myself." Actually, it's the Rachmaninoff Second Piano Concerto, but I'm thinking more in terms of Carmen than Rach these days! I've been playing since I was 11, but I've NEVER played as much Rachmaninoff as since the Berries reunited. It's gotta be connected somewhere in the Cosmos...

smile --Darlene