Capitol Records Is Beginning To Recognize The Rasperries

MikeC

I was listening to Kola, 99.9 F.M. radio in California. At 6:48 A.M., west coast time, they had a contest. Someone won a Raspberries CD. The DJ said, "You win the digitally remastered Rasperries Hits, courtesy of Capitol Records". Yes, me too, I couldn't believe it, either. The California station is at (www. ImAKolaNut.com) The next song was "Tugging The Line". I'm off to a conference, since last night, that goes today and tonight, then part of sunday. What a way to start off! Maybe, this is just one of the surprises for this year. spin

I think it's one of the best ways for promotions, when you give a C.D. away. People start asking,"Who was that?" "Are there more songs?". "Where can I get it?" A friend of mine, gospel singer Jon Gibson, gave me a greatest hits C.D., last Christmas and Hanukkah season. He has the record for a new song most played on Christian radio, "Jesus Loves Ya". When he saw me, he said, "Give this to someone else,and bless them with it". He thought I had it, already. I've listened to it alot, and I'll buy it, since I didn't have it. I saw him walk around and say, "Do you have this one, yet?" I'll give it away at a study in a week-and-a-half. Jon has recorded with Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, etc. He has, also, played for The Nelson Riddle orchestra. He played for an after party for The Golden Globe Awards, last year. (Michael sang backgrounds on a song called "Wake-up". The story is that when Michael showed up at the recording studio, at the height of his career in the late 70's, with those record-setting albums, hard-working Jon was asleep, after already recording most of the song). A side note, I've met the drummer on the record-setting album, Ndugu Chancler, or something like that, at an after party, for an all-star concert. I think he's played on two of Jon's CD's.

This is cool, indeed! Thanks for sharing it with us! Any time Raspberries is mentioned on the radio, especially in connection with one of their cds being a prize in a contest, it's impressive. I hope Capitol will be doing a lot more "recognizing" the guys. I think they will REALLY recognize their * big mistakes* when the next *new* RAZZ cd comes out! laugh

smile --Darlene

I agree with you, Darlene. And, thanks to everyone for your interest in this. A tip about the latest in music business: Artists are finding that it is no longer necessary to sell millions of CD's, because some of them are going to smaller labels. What I'm really saying is that they don't have to be the most popular people to get their good music out. Talent can be found in several music labels, now. There is not as much pressure, as in times past, to sell so much. Instead of "pressure-music, or doing too much, it's more like "Let's do good songs, and everyone can have a good time along the way". With a few artists on a label, the very best attention is now given to them. The artists sing and promote their own music as they go along, with interviews, concerts, etc. And, TheScentLady, thanks alot for the link. Someone is passing these CD's around, and I felt it was a very good thing to do, on Capitol's behalf. If some of you don't know, Capitol put alot of time and effort in putting out CD's in celebration of Las Vegas's Centennial. They put out individual CD's by famous crooner's- Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Liza Minelli, Wayne Newton, etc. Some of these were entirely live, before an audience. And, they put out a separate CD with singers who performed in Vegas in the past- Connie Francis, Kay Starr. I really enjoy these two singers, and they are not played enough to people who like music. I, personally, had a chance to participate in a world-record cake, but I would have been about three hours late. I celebrated by buying CD's; Reading the stories of each artist inside the cover. I gave one to my friend who went to visit her parents, in Argentina. Her dad loved the Dean Martin CD, and The Rat Pack, Live from the Sands Hotel. I felt like the orchestra is right there- On the car stereo, at home, or on my portable CD player, because each instrument is heard so well. Oh, I should have mentioned that it was The Rob Mullin's All-Star Band, that Ngudu Chanclar was part of. We all went over to Jon's former Cafe, in Costa Mesa, California. Both Jon and Rob have websites. Rob played at Brad Pitt's first wedding. And, he played for actor Bruce Willis, when Bruce toured a bit, singing jazz at places like Planet Hollywood, a restaurant. I've talked to Rob a few times. He is called a walking record, having recorded for so many singers. Jon once gave me four soundtracks to sing live to. He said I could have more, then. I'll be teaching Jon a little bit of the Country music style, since I'm learning from a huge book called Totally Guitar. It covers alot of styles, and has pictures of almost every guitar ever made, including Paul McCartney's, plus Classical, etc. It's one-and-a-half tall, by one foot wide. cool

Who's to say, in fact, that the guys won't just start their own label? Creative control on their own music and a great outlet for their song writing and production skills to launch younger careers!

Toby Keith is the latest to do it that I know of, and out of the block he has his own top forty (country) hit and a female solo act (whose name eludes me at the moment) is climbing the charts right behind him on his new label too!

Imagine a label that could have done justice to the Raspberries as well as maybe Euclid Street or the 'Ducks...

I think you got it, Paulimississippi. That's exactly what my friend, Jon, has done. By doing this and having your own label, whoever wants your music goes through the artist/s-owner/s. Technical, here: The artist who wrote the song, and doesn't give up publishing rights, or total rights to their own song, gets more of their own just share of the music pie, so to speak. The main part, I believe, is owning the publishing rights. I will be doing this for myself, because I'm studying film. I already know how to record my own songs, through friends and my own practice with this. But, I will create my own production company, and probably a film company. I can then sub-contract Director, Producer, and Writer myself, depending on what a studio needs. But, I will be ready to do all three myself. And shortly, to start studying animation. I need to be ready to put out my best, in everything. I will reach out for help to a friend who, also, studies film, when I need to. I wrote something up for Jon, one time, and he was surprised how I wrote. He said that I should be in this(film) business, and voila!

When I reviewed "Greatest" for another site, I got the nicest email from someone at Capitol Records, which means some folks at Capitol are paying attention (they should --- that review ranks at #31 among the more than 642,000 reviews ranked on the SITE and is also #1 among the 2,200 Capitol EMI Records album reviews - http://www.epinions.com/Music-78195-Capitol_EMI_Records - listed on that website, meaning a Raspberries review is getting more hits than any other Capitol Records act, current or past, which is amazing when the competition includes The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Pink Floyd and others).

Capitol donated 10 copies of the album to Raspberries.Net for a giveaway trivia contest last year, too.

But things at Capitol are far from perfect. At their official website at http://www.hollywoodandvine.com, go to "artists" and then to "Raspberries" --- except for a listing for "Greatest," there's no biography of the band, never was any tour info, and there are no links to EricCarmen.Com or Raspberries.Net. That irks me --- I've written people there about that situation and gave them links to the two sites, but nothing has changed.

Luckily, with the internet, fans can find information on their own, but it would be nice if Capitol got all of its resources running in the same direction. The interest is there, and luckily people find the websites like this one where they can be informed and unite behind the band.

Not trying to stroke my own ego on that review (anybody can write for that particular site, but it does get 2 million unique hits a month) --- just trying to indicate why Capitol Records needs to take advantage of the potential of "Greatest" (just wish they would redo that darn awful cover shot...).

Don

Die-hard Raspberries Fan

DON-WHAT A GREAT PIECE OF WRITING.THE YEARNING STRAINS OF "LET'S PRETEND" -DEFINED-FOR ME-ADOLESCENT ANGST AND THE DREAM OF ESCAPE INTO A BETTER,LESS PAINFUL WORLD -"ALL THOSE YEARS AGO".WHEN THAT SONG WAS NOT A SMASH I KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING TERMINALLY WRONG WITH TOP 40 RADIO, OR SOCIETY, OR POP CULTURE OR SOMETHIN'.TO MY MIND ALL OF US 'BERRIES FANS WERE RIGHT.HOW MANY WEBSITES TODAY ARE EXTOLLING ON A DAILY BASIS THE MERITS OF "ELP'S "BRAIN SALAD SURGERY"-BUT THIS STUFF-"RASPBERRIES " STUFF- REALLY HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME.-THANKS AGAIN DON.-IRA.

Paulie and Ira, thanks for the kind words. The thing that is most important to me is that there's a ton of people out there looking for Raspberries info, which bodes well for Raspberries next project.

Ira, I think it's a common thread among fans I've encountered that we all thought we were "the only ones" as far as people who liked Raspberries. It's great to know our numbers are much larger than we ever would have guessed.

Paulie, thanks for the hollywoodandvine.com catch, buddy.

Don smile

Thanks, for that link, Don. I needed to clarify that I heard a small record label representative speak. He said that only 200,000 CD's sold keeps his company going. And, Bruce Willis sings The Blues, too. The Raspberries are "catching on" again, and they deserve it. Let's keep that music going, that new people, including myself are discovering(I really only knew about some of Eric's music).

It seems that alot of singers, and some bands have gone to smaller labels. Let's start with Country, because of it's popularity. Dolly Parton has done that, now. She couldn't get a deal with a large record company, again. When I think about it, she's one of the best songwriters in her style, so I'm glad she is still doing new music that she likes. It seems that the large company's are going for individual popularity(volume sales; or total forcasted sales), but disregard the talent of the musician. And that's why I really like the smaller record labels. They are incredible. They bring each musician along, and help them play better, or whatever is needed. It's more like a family.

Two of my favorite classical artists, cellist David Finckel and his pianist wife, Wu Han started their own label--ArtistLed. ArtistLed was their response to the pressure some "big" labels place on artists to record certain works, which have been over-recorded, or those they don't want to do while suppressing the artists' desires of what they really want to record.

ArtistLed has attracted many fine artists and is putting out a substantial amount of fine previously unrecorded music with great success. Their standards are extremely high and, like the artistry of both David and Wu Han, the quality of their recordings is very fine.

Cheers to them!

smile --Darlene