Preserved: Who are the Cover Artists?

Billy K.

Been listening to "Preserved" a lot lately.There are people that are obvious to many of us -- Ken Sharp is a major Raspberries fan; Scott McCarl used to be one, on "Starting Over" and the Rubinoos have some noteriety, especially in San Francisco...

But WHO are the rest of these people? I'm sure some are regional favorites. Anyone have some idea?

I'm listening to "Preserved" as I write. Boy, that first song is just bad! What a terrible thing to do to "I'm a Rocker". The group that does it is aptly named "The Rank Strangers". It's definately a stinker. They owe the 'Berries an apology! "Goin' Nowhere Tonight" by Bill Lloyd is pretty good and I really love "Nobody Knows" but, hey, it's by Scott McCarl! No surprise there. "Cruisin' Music" by the Rubinoos is loads of fun. No complaints there. "Cry" by Bunnygrunt (where do these people come up with these names??!) well, what can I say other than it makes me want to CRY!

Oh, and what's with that "Let's Pretend" by Brad Jones? Sounds like he was recently castrated and in need of pain killers....

"Hard to Get Over a Heartbreak" by The Swarays captures the essence of the original. It's a good listen. Oh, and, I'm sorry, but I thought Ken Sharp was a man. He sounds just like a woman on "Waiting". Am I missing something here? Is this the same Ken Sharp that we read about on the website??? Is it just a boo-boo on the CD cover? I'm on standby with an apology if I'm in error here.

So, I'm not a professional music critic or anything, and these are only my own opinions and observations. I don't want to offend anyone. (Well, I guess I don't mind if I offend "The Rank Strangers". They deserve it.)--Julie

I've never heard Preserved, but it sounds pretty awful. Were the "artists" really trying to cover the songs, or were they trying to parody or make them sound bad. What I mean is, were the "groups" making a sincere effort to perform the songs because they liked them? And are SCOTT McCARL and KEN SHARP really singing on the CD? If so, I at least those two were sincere. As for the others, are they just terrible performers? I have to listen to this one! --Darlene eek

No, "Preserved" is not a parody album. I believe it's intent is sincere.

Yes, it really is Scott McCarl. I really like that one a lot -- I'm going to burn it onto my favorites for the car. I'm waiting for a reply to the Ken Sharp question. That is a woman's voice -- it's not a gruff voice (like Bonnie Tyler for instance -- it's very feminine). There really are some enjoyable cuts on the CD. I like "Hands on You", "Rose Colored Glasses", "Might as Well" and some others as well (there are 21 tracks!) I really can't believe though that they chose to put such an icky version of "I'm A Rocker" on there--especially in the #1 track. The back of the CD states: "We also want to thank all the bands who contibuted tracks for this CD especially the bands who didn't make the cut. We received too many songs!"

So...apparently they got worse songs than "I'm A Rocker". That my friends, is indeed a scarey thought..........--Julie

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of highlights on the PRESERVED CD ... IMHO, the Rubinoos cover is the clear winner. But then again, the Rubinoos are a GREAT band in their own right. (FYI, that is Ken Sharp on the CD. I never thought his voice sounded feminine. Think: Nick Gilder, and you'd be closer to my take on Ken's voice.) --Bernie

PS: I happen to like quite a few of Nick Gilder's album tracks. "Hot Child In The City" doesn't even come close to the power-pop splendor of a number of his toe-tapping gems. A pretty good songwriter with plenty of catchy groovin' guitar licks.

I mentioned this before and pretty much got torn apart, but I think I actually like the Rubinoos version of "Cruisin Music" better than the Raspberries. Don't get me wrong; I like both versions. It is the clear winner on the CD, but some of the other songs offer unique takes and I am glad I own it.

I'm surprised that Kyle Vincent never participated in the "Preserved" cd. He's been pretty clear about his admiration for the 'berries and Eric Carmen, and one of his own cd's he does a fine version of "On the Beach."

Marvin

p.s. Bernie, I have Nick Gilder's "City Lights" album (the one with "Hot Child in the City"), and you're right, it's very good Power-pop (before there was such a word!).

The Kyle Vincent "On The Beach" sounded great, he recorded that in Tommy Dunbar's living room. It should have been on Preserved. When Kyle was doing radio appearences to promote his 1998 LP he would often perform Raspberries covers in the radio studio. I can remember him doing "Go All The Way" and "I Wanna be With You." Kyle also said the very first song he ever recorded was Eric's "Boats Against The Current." I would love to hear that.

Ron

I have this dilemma of some stuff locked up in storage...my CD player is working but some of the CDs are in a box somewhere. And the reverse is true...all of my Berries and Eric vinyl is here but the turntable is in San Francisco...so, kind of a default thing since I needed a some of those tunes rather quickly, and the "Preserved" CD was handy...Soon, though, I will have those (thankfully) up here. Plus I am missing a couple of Eric's albums, so I may has well pick up those CDs in the meantime.

Some more comments...I think we all seem to agree that "I'm a Rocker" is really RANK!...Actually, I have been skipping the first song most of the time.

Really like the interpetation of "I Reach for the Light"...actually been listening to that track more than most. In fact, I like it equally well, if not better than the original. As for "Hard to Get Over a Heartbreak" -- basically like the feel, but the guitar solo is a lot more convincing played slower (on the Berries version).

I kind of appreciate the IDEA of what Bunnygrunt was TRYING to do...some songs can be interpeted in different ways with a different feel...(as in "Do You Wanna Dance" Bobby Freeman vs. Bette Midler), "You Keep Me Hangin' On" (Supremes vs. Vanilla Fudge vs. Kim Wilde -- all three versions hit #1)...and the list goes on...but I think you get my drift...Still, the song could still been done much better. Perhaps someone like Veruca Salt doing it. And I personally think the original is the best, though...

Did see Nick Gilder live once, a long time ago. He was the opening act for Detective. One of the better opening acts, I much say.

And does any of you Rubinoos fans have the "Spitballs" album...the Spitballs was a BIG (as in number of people) band...this included the Rubinoos, Earthquake (Dunbar's brother's band), Greg Kihn, and (I think) Jonathan Richman, as one big group together. Never heard their music before but certainly heard OF them...anyone out there have that album?

Getting back to Bunnygrunt...I happened to be on MP3.com, and looking at some band's page (I forget which one)...had to really get a laugh...these guys cited Bunnygrunt as one of their main influences! Apparently they had been somewhat well known locally in Missouri.