Raspberries at B.B. Kings in NYC this summer??

AnniekNY

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Natalie Merchant (whose music I love) and the press, Gulliani turned New York into a police state.

Is it possible I was duped?....that the "fascist" Gulliani actually did some good?...that enforcement and respect for law and order can actually create a more peaceful and beautiful city?

confused

James, there was a lott of controversy over the stuff Giuliani did, and I question some of it myself, but one thing that cannot be denied was that he focused on those little "quality of life" things that bother tourists so much, and as a result, I believe, a lot of things visitors used to see and be bothered by in NYC are now gone (however they were gotten rid of)...it seems to me that whenever I have been there, I have not seen or experienced the kinds of things that I remember being warned about by people who went there or lived there years earlier.

I agree with Dave and Trindy.

In the 70's and early 80's New York indeed was a scary place in the daytime, let alone at night. I've been to the Big Apple 5 times in the last few years (I saw the Letterman show twice and Who Wants To be A Millionaire once, and three other times for various reasons). It's clean and there are usually plenty of the City's Finest around to reassure you.

As in any big city, be part of "the" crowd and never get your guard down. There is safety in numbers. We'll all stick together and have a great time.

Bring some cash too, out on the street you can buy most anything...there will probably be a "bootleg" copy of the show just witnessed being sold for $10.00 as you make your way down the street!!! spin

If I can get two tickets for each of the NYC shows, I'll fly in from Amsterdam again, but this time I'll not travel alone. My wife is coming along with me, she got excited after I returned from Chicago and heard all the great stories I told her. So the only need is to become tickets, that will be the difficult part. How many people will they let in at the place, anyone knows?

NYC is a big city and as such there is good reason to be cautious, especially during the summer when tourists abound and are more interested in the "sights" than what is going on around them.

It sounds as if most of you will be in a large group, which is good - so just use common sense (e.g., if taking subway, choose the middle cars). The jewelry snatching is not as common as it was years ago, but something to keep in mind.

Anne

I have spent much time in the Port Authority Bus Terminal and while I would say it's not my favorite place in the world, it is also not as unpleasant as I heard it was in the past. I heard it used to be full of homeless people who had essentially taken up residence there, along with panhandlers. This is no longer so. The place is full of cops any time of night or day (and I have been there pretty late at night so I know of what I speak). The neighborhood it's in is not savory at all, so truthfully if I had my choice of being in the terminal or just outside, I'd rather be in the terminal...

Also remember that a whole chunk of what was some of the worst real estate in NYC, the red-light stuff David Letterman used to make fun of, was bought up and Disneyfied a few years back.

This is not to say that NY is a completely safe place to be, but it's not nearly as bad as it once was or the stories I heard about it. Sometimes you can actually afford to "be stupid" there, although I wouldn't recommend it (I had a woman once warn me that my purse was unzipped--hey, the fact that she warned me, rather than just taking my wallet or letting someone else take it...)

Of course, the wisest route is to to the smart stuff: always walk with a purpose, know where you're going, don't flash anything you've got, look confident, and don't allow yourself to be seen staring up at buildings or consulting maps--the true mark of the tourist. (Any time I got lost in the city, I always pulled off into a store somewhere and hid in a quiet corner to consult my map, rather than pulling it out on the street.)

By the way, there is an upside for this event ... The city is DEAD in mid July during the weekends (as everyone gets away) ... so traffic, and general getting around withing the city will be much easier than, say, now. The downside is, since the Jersey Shore is one of those places people get away to, i think we need to leave extra time whoever is driving from Bernies' to the city, as Sunday traffic back to the City starts in the afternoon ...