Agora Tapes - Cleveland's Lost Treasures

sterling

There is a great website about Cleveland Music at the following:

http://www.esquirerecords.com/default2.asp

On left side click on "CitiMusic-Cleveland"

Then click on IV. Talkin Cleveland Music

Not being from Ohio, this website is very interesting. To summarize part of it..It talks about the Agora opening on the Case Western Reserve Univ campus in 1966. It became one of the best rock clubs in the nation. Many groups and individuals played there including: Springsteen, Boston, Kiss, Paul Simon, Grand Funk, Yes, Fleetwood Mac, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Toto, and the list goes on.........

In then states " In 1970 Eric Carmen disbanded Cyrus Erie and formed the Raspberries. The Raspberries came to the Agora and requested an audition. They knocked everybody's socks off! The Agora put them on stage and they were an immediate smash. They became the regular Sunday night band at The Agora. The Raspberries held that spot for the next 2 years, generating the largest crowds in Agora history."

Scrolling further down we find:

"Agora Tapes - Cleveland's Lost Treasures"

"Guess what? While all those great groups performed at the Agora the tape recorder was running. That's right, we've got them all. Releases are presently being sought from the Boss to the Raspberries to bring these tapes to you on CD."

This sounds unbelievable to read. I really question the authenticity of it. How could they record all those acts and not encounter legal problems? Is it possible that these tapes of the Berries could become available and we could hear the band as it was in its infancy? It sure would be a real treat if they were decent quality. Any Clevelanders reading this who can add anything to all of this? The website is quite interesting to read if nothing else.

Phil

Phil,

Your not dreaming, it's true! the Agora has MASTER RECORDINGS of many ELECTRIFYING live performances of Raspberries, and the best part is they belong to the Agora, not Capitol Records! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that only royalties from the sale of album tracks get sent to unscrupulous ex-agents, while any royalties from live material would go right to the boys. These tapes could reap rewards for everyone involved!

Bernie

Bernie,

This is too much to believe! What can be done? Would pressure exerted from all us crazed EC and Berries fans do any good to get them released? Or will these tapes most likely sit in a vault and collect dust forever? Seems so sad. I would certainly pay the going price to have a copy. Just imagine all the great cover songs that are included! I guess it gives me something to dream about while I am trying to fall asleep as I see and hear the Berries entertaining all those baby boomers so many years ago!

Phil

Phil, *this* contribution of yours is AMAZING! My heart stopped when I read your post, now it's pounding! (Excuse me, while I go into my shower with my shoes on and jump up and down SCREAMING!!!) smile It DOES just keep getting better and better.

I'm on pins and needles awaiting Bernie's answer about what we can do to make this happen.

I always knew they would be back together and have always felt that somehow they would get the proceeds they so richly deserve. And now there are the "Agora tapes"! I *know* this will happen! It was just a few months ago that I said in some thread, "You ain't seen NOTHIN' yet!"

smile --Darlene

Darlene,

To tell you the truth, if I knew the recordings would be released and were credible, I would contribute $200 to the band and then buy 10 copies minimum no matter what the price would be. I guess that qualifies me as loony tunes but that would be so awesome to have that time capsule captured and be able to go to it and give it to friends.

Phil

You're not a-loon. (nor a-LONE!) We've all at one time or another wished it were within our power to make all of our dreams concerning Raspberries come true. And look, it HAS been within our power. We've all helped make so much come true already! What people call "Darlenism" has been around forever. Faith the size of a mustard seed, belief, intuition, positive thinking, "Lemonade," whatever. It works! Read Claude Bristol's "The Magic of Believing" if you're not convinced. *I* "believe!" I've seen it work too many times to doubt it now! And if you STILL don't buy it, reflect upon the reunion concert only nine months ago...

smile --D

The quality of some, if not all, of the Agora tapes is outstanding. The Agora had a full recording studio in building and mixed the shows very well. The Springsteen show is a classic and A1 quality. WMMS used to broadcast live shows from the Agora as well.

There was an article in the Plain Dealer a few months ago talking about the Agora tapes and the treasue they are. I hope they do get some sort of release for these recordings.

It was at the Agora that I first saw the Berries live. I walked in and the place was packed and I heard Beatle songs coming from the stage and thought to myself "my god, are the Beatles doing a secret reunion show?" Thats how good the band was and of course those who have seen them this past 8 months know what I am talking about.

believe it or not,i remember listening to wmms and hearing the later lineup of the berries..they did some covers like chuck berrys "little quennie" and stuff from "starting over"..all thru the night,play on..i thought i was the only person that remembered that!!! how cool would it be to hear that again,it would transport me back in time to my parents house in my room w/my stereo crankin live berries out!!!chris

believe it or not,i remember listening to wmms and hearing the later lineup of the berries..they did some covers like chuck berrys "little quennie" and stuff from "starting over"..all thru the night,play on..i thought i was the only person that remembered that!!!

I not only remember it...I have a tape of their July 1975 Agora show, recorded directly off WMMS. "Little Queenie" is not a part of this show (so there must be more than one), but "Play On," "Cry," "Party's Over" and "Rose Colored Glasses" are. And also, a live version of "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine" that's much more powerful than the studio one.

The whole thing ends with (as Wally says) "old" Raspberries -- an extended workout on "All Right Now" on which Mr. Bryson nearly levitates right off the stage.

This show has given me much pleasure over these many years.

The supposed July 1975 Agora boot is actually mis-labelled from July 1974. This boot was circulated as "Back Home Again" on the Strider label. It's an FM broadcast recorded on cassette tape and transferred to CD with "tape hiss" and signal fade intact. It was also called "Go all the Way" on the Japanese Tendolar label which lists it as 1975 soundboard recording (What a joke!). The sound is far inferior to the "Back Home Again" recording. Most Fans know the group played their last Concert in April 1975 in Scranton, PA. So an Agora show that Summer was not possible; unless it was recorded in 1974 and re-broadcast in 1975. In spite of the sound quality issues. "Back Home Again" is a nice slice of Live Raspberries from 1974. Worth a listen! I'ts the only Live recording I've heard of "I can Hardly Believe You're Mine"; which sounds incredible!

Don

Mike M wrote: I not only remember it...I have a tape of their July 1975 Agora show, recorded directly off WMMS. "Little Queenie" is not a part of this show (so there must be more than one), but "Play On," "Cry," "Party's Over" and "Rose Colored Glasses" are. And also, a live version of "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine" that's much more powerful than the studio one.

The whole thing ends with (as Wally says) "old" Raspberries -- an extended workout on "All Right Now" on which Mr. Bryson nearly levitates right off the stage.

This show has given me much pleasure over these many years.