Eric Carmen Rock Hall Poll

Paul Sidoti

Van Duren's 'Are You Serious' stands the test of time like nobody's business (not unlike Dwight Twilley's 'Sincerely'). 'Oh Babe' was the best, never-heard tune of '78...it remains a classic (not unlike DT's 'You Were So Warm'). And, of course, 'New Year's Eve' has graced whatever turntable/CD player I've been near on virtually every single NY's Eve over these past 27 years or so...it's tradition dammit(as is giving a spin to the Flashcubes' '4th of July' on that particular holiday). Pat knows of what I speak.

I was never really much of an Alice Cooper fan.

per: rock & roll, Alice is deserving of the inclusion (i.e. 'School's Out," "18,' "Under My Wheels," "Caught In A Dream," "Elected," "Billion Dollar Babies").... as Eric C once said: "That's Rock & Roll...."

If you can name more than 10 people who have tracked down Van Duren's "Are You Serious" i'd be pleasantly surprised!!!!!

p.s. Looks like Bob "Lefsetz" will be seeing the boys in LA via Eric's invite.... NICE!

It has always struck me funny that the Ramones could get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the category of pioneers for "punk rock" when if you look at it, they actually owed much to bands like Raspberries and Badfinger in their song style. Bands such as Raspberries, Badfinger and Big Star created the Power Pop formula that many so called "rock bands" took inspiration from to start their own careers. To me, it seems that many who are deserving do not get their due and that is a shame. Eric could go in as a solo, but more importantly, his work with Raspberries, as well as the rest of the bands is equally if not more deserving. They are deserving on the strength to their music, and more importantly, the growth that they showed with each new album they made. Unlike many recording acts, the maturity level and evolvement of their music was happening from album to album. Another band from the 60's who never get a mention, but deserve one is the Lovin Spoonful, again another band that kept getting better and better. Perhaps with the Raspberries performing again, and now with top recording artists such as Bruce Springsteen giving shout outs about the band, some serious consideration can be given about Clevelands favorite sons and they can get the reward that they truly deserve.

Agree with Hosskratz - The Ramones basically took power pop songs, dumbed down the lyrics, and turned up the amps to "10", creating "punk rock" in the process. (an early critic referred to them as "Beach Boys in black leather jackets, playing at a deafening level"). While I was (and still am) a huge Ramones fan, they owed a great deal of their sound to the Raspberries, Badfinger, etc. (and a large debt to fellow New Yorkers The Dictators, as well).

The Ramones got into the HOF on the strength of other, more commercially successful bands influenced by them who followed in their footsteps (and were publicly singing their praises)...plus the fact that Joey R. was dying at the time. (Here's hoping that Mike Smith's health issues help the DC5 finally get into the Hall! God knows, they deserve it!).

Agree with the Spoonful comments as well...both they and the Raspberries belong in the HOF. (Too bad Zal Y. won't be around to see it if it ever happens....)

TOMMY T - The Dictators live CD, "Viva Dictators!" has been out for a couple of months already - it was done from a couple of NYC area shows (Maxwells in Hoboken and the Bowery Ballroom, I believe). It's excellent! It appears they've gone back to being a 5 piece band again most of the time. (Scott Kempner or Top Ten moved to LA about 2 years ago, and they had been playing as a 4 piece until Scott returned last August at Little Steven's Underground Garage Fest at Randall's Island.) Scott's definitely on the new live CD. After the Fest, BTW, literally hundreds of us crammed into Manitoba's for drinks and Hell-raising. - John