Raspberries on the Tour of '74

LC

Yes, I did. It was in Sheeps Meadow, Central Park.

By the time I got there the crowd was so huge that I thought I would never get near the stage. Nothing stops a true Berries fan, however. It took me awhile but I got to the first row and literally crawled under a police barricade...and what a concert!

smile --Darlene

This has nothing to do with the 74 tour but the 72/73 Tour.I was dying to go see the Berries at Robinson High school in Burke Va.I had just heard GATW that year and could not believe they were coming to our school Grades 7-12.However my mother thought I was too young. My brother did get to go and I still have yet to see the Berries.I almost got to Atlantic City but was unable to.Maybe they'll come around the Va area sometime.

While unable to see the "first" Raspberries and according to the Marathon Man book and Scott McCarl recollections (via diary), I was still under age by a couple of years for that Stillwater, Minnesota show. If memory serves me correctly, some of the kids from school went over to the Boom Company for the show. I had my fake ID confiscated in Hudson Wisoconsin prior to the event. What great memories, it was a much more uncompilated time in many respects. I guess that would be a reason for more shows in 2006!! Then we can now see Raspberries at their best.

My sister, Maryanne and I went to see The Raspberries twice. First we saw them in Albany, NY at Rudy's. I was the only one in our group who was LEGAL, but the only one who got carded to get into the club. The guys were amazing and even came out to mingle with the crowd. I was on leave from the US Navy at the time, and had a minor car accident on my way home from Albany..totalled my car, but everyone was OK.

Next, saw the guys at FACES club in NJ...still in the Navy, and met Eric during one of the breaks, but was so blown away by his talent...that I didn't know what to say, so I just stood there, and then he walked away. I still regret not saying anything to him.

The 2 shows last year were so amazing...words cannot even express what I felt as I experienced the talent of these 4 guys. I do hope there will be more opportunities for all of us to experience their music.

Robin

Sounds like a memorable time, Robin. And now --- 30-some years later --- you can finally tell Eric what you would have told him that night if you hadn't been speechless. I think that's awesome! And it's one more reason that EC.com rocks....

(Your story reminds me of Eric's line about meeting John Lennon for the first time.... Great anecdote, as related on the "Hangin' With" VH1 show. Sometimes, words escape....)

• 17 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I hope KathyC comes around again. I love that she found this older thread and bumped it. The crazy 1974 Raspberries tour referenced in the opening post is so interesting to me. I can't imagine the chutzpah of the tour manager to show the zig-zag itinerary: "Guys, I know it looks a little chaotic on paper, but don't worry. It'll be fun!"

1 hour ago, susie b said:

Aww shucks...

Kirk is THE moderator extraordinare.  

You're being too modest, Susie. You bring CLASS to this joint. Actually, all the moderators bring a certain skill set to the message board. LC's writing skills and in-depth reporting, Lew's ability to find anything and everything on the internet regarding Eric and 'berries, and then there's some guy named Bernie...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1