Opening Band for the 'Berries in San Diego

popdude

Same here. I heard the Rubinoos were begging to open! I think they'd be a much better choice. Heck, Rubinoos bassist Al Chan has already been to two Raspberries reunion shows (and does a KICK-ASS Eric impersonation when the band performs a cover of "Tonight" on stage!) If this is already a done deal, then how about Rubes and Razz in Hollywood?!?

Bernie

I have officially put Kyle's name into the hat before, but those who decide decided otherwise. Kyle even volunteered to tune guitars and help pack-up equipment after the gig :-) What I was told back then is any act opening for the band needed to be guaranteed to sell a certain number of tickets themselves. That makes sense. But, outside of the Knack, I'm not sure any of the other openers really had that ability -- and you could argue that the Knack added just a small number of tickets sold to the Cleveland Scene Pavilion show. But, what am I piping in on this for? I don't know anything about the dynamics of hiring an opening band, so I think I'll just go back to reading the other posts!

Bernie

The Shambles are a great band! The leader Bart Mendoza, has been a looming presence on the San Diego mod scene since the early 80s, when he was in Manual Scan. When he worked at Off The Record, we would talk about our mutual fanaticism (sp?) of Squire, The Jetset, The Times...I believe he even played with various members of said bands in the legendary "supergroup" Boys About Town. He's an excellent songwriter, and a huge Berries fan. I guarantee you won't be disappointed with the choice!

Brett

Agreed, Brett, and Bart is one heck of a nice guy, to boot (and he and his band are THRILLED to be opening for the 'Beries!)!

And speaking of Squire - WOW! Now THERE'S an underrated band! Not too many people remember them, but they made some great power pop records, filled with jangly guitars and excellent tunes. BIG fans of the power pop genre, too, as they covered songs by Shoes and Big Star. LOVED 'em!