Chatting with Eric's mom

marvin

So since Smittie asked:

I saw Mrs Carmen (that's Eric's mom not Susan) standing by herself and I wanted to go speak with her but was unsure about how to initiate the conversation. I didn't want to appear too forward. So I did what any other person who loves children would do - I struck up a conversation with her grandson - Eric's son Clayton. I asked Clayton if he was happy for his dad, and he replied, "Oh yeah!" I then said, "Give me a high-five for your dad." Clayton willingly obliged. While this was happening, I glanced over at Mrs Carmen, and saw that she was smiling. "Aha! Here's my chance!", I thought.

Taking advantage of the opening. I walked up to Mrs Carmen, introduced myself, said that I had come from Canada for the show. She looked quite impressed by this, waved over Aunt Muriel and Mr Carmen and said, "Muriel this person came ALL THE WAY from Canada!" She then thanked me for making the trip and for supporting the band. I told her that it was a thrill for me and everyone else to have this opportunity to meet with Eric. I then said, "You know someone as talented as Eric should be writing more music and recording. It's a waste of talent." She nodded her head in agreement. I then asked her the million dollar question: "Do you think that an evening like this will be the impetus to get Eric writing again?" She looked at me somewhat forlornly and said, "Eric has spent the last few years at home with the children because they are so young. He's been great with them, taking them everywhere, doing things with them..." Her voice trailed off a bit and then a smile formed on her face and she said, "Now that the children are older and have started school, he has more free time. I have no doubt that he'll write again." I wanted to hug her right there and then, but with Mr Carmen and Fred around, I showed a bit of restraint and said, "You know, you should tell him that", to which she replied, "Don't worry, I'm going to have a nice long talk with him later!"

When I had a chance to chat with Eric later, I relayed the conversation to him. He rolled his eyes and said, "Oh no. Gotta do what my mom says!"

So Eric if you're reading, not only will you make many fans around the world happy if you write/record again, but more importantly, you'll make your mom happy!

Marvin

Now I understand what you meant about his mom soon "putting a bug in Eric's ear." I think playing with Wally and feeling the exhilaration of Raspberries again is the biggest prod toward new music. Eric's and Wally's creative energies always really fed off each other. I have no doubt that will awaken as things go along. Eric and Wally could always best Lennon-McCartney, and they *still* can.

smile --Darlene

Wow, Marvin sure does know how to work a room! smile . That was very clever of you to break the ice with Clayton and then initiate a conversation with whom I'm sure must be his adoring Grandma. Wasn't it great to see all of the band's family at the meet and greet? You could just feel the love bouncing off the walls!

It's exciting to learn that Mrs. Carmen thinks Eric will have a little more time to devote to songwriting now that his kids are older!

I'm sure she will encourage him, because Bernie told me she has always been one of his biggest fans! And we all know how anxious big fans are to hear new material! Thanks Marvin!

Prior to the getting into the sound check, Jennifer and I were joking, saying that we should have brought our university "Press Pass" to get us entrance into the hall, etc. As it turned out, we probably received better reception from people because we weren't part of the Press.

Marvin

I have two letters Eric's mom wrote me years ago, shortly before Clayton was born, and she is a lovely person. Had I known she was literally in the room at the meet and greet, I would have loved to have thanked her in person for those letters, alas, I'm not in the loop, I guess. :p