Raspberries Feel the New York Love

Holy Shit. They topped the New Years Eve show!!! I thought it would never happen but that's how great they were tonight. I’d bet the house that the band would tell you it was the best gig they ever played.

What a difference a day makes. Tonight the sound problems were fixed. Even the piano sound was deep and rich. The place was just as mobbed as Saturday night, but tonight the crowd was ELECTRIC. The band got standing ovations on nearly every song and chants of WALLY WALLY could often be heard above the roar. Bryson was in high spirits all night, laughing and joking with the crowd and the band and having a grand old time. He and Eric were carrying on, and the camaraderie was impossible to miss. Jon Bon Jovi was there to enjoy the show and the band did not disappoint.

They were SO TIGHT. Eric should sing two nights in a row more often as he was absolutely superb. Screaming his head off like the old days, there was just no vocal gymnastics he couldn't pull off. And the crowd egged him on every inch of the way. Dave laid a strong foundation with his bass guitar and the vocal blend on his songs sent shivers down your spine. There’s just something about a Dave Smalley song with Eric and Wally singing backup that is magical. Jim pounded his drum kit into submission in the most satisfying way. He was having a ball and you could see it on his face. They changed the set list A LOT, but I don’t think it mattered a bit BECAUSE THEY WERE SO F**KING GOOD. I'd love to give you a highlight, but there were too many to mention. Everything was amazing. If you put a gun to my head, I might say that Ecstasy absolutely killed, but then again they were blowing us all away all through the night. If there is ever going to be a DVD, it should be of this show.

We got three extra songs tonight. Can't Explain, and an additional two song encore including "Slow Down." it was obvious that just like the audience, the band didn't want this night to end. I will always remember the hot summer night in New York when Raspberries burned down BB Kings.

"If we close our eyes and believe it might come true..." And tonight, it did! Playing to an audience that included rock stars and celebrities, "the best band on the planet" rocked BBKings in New York City off its foundations. If last night's show was magnificent (which it was), then tonight's was out of this WORLD! Seeing Jon Bon Jovi rockin' to the music of Raspberries was the moment of a lifetime! Watching him applaud vigrorously when Wally asked if the band could still play made my heart stop! Pierson and Brian hit virtually every point of the SPECTACULAR show DEAD-ON. The sound was crystal clear as Raspberries showed New York they are worlds ahead of their electrifying performances of the old days. And the crowd went WILD! The most perfect dream could never have measured up to THIS NIGHT IN NEW YORK! WELCOME BACK, RASPBERRIES! You're rewriting the history of rock 'n roll!

Incidentally, "the best band on the planet" was a quote from Jeopardy star, Ken Jennings, who attended tonight's concert. After congratulating him on his recent success and discussing Raspberries, I said, "I'm Alex Trebeck. The answer is 'Raspberries.'" He looked up at the ceiling, paused and responded, "What is the best band on the planet?" I said YESSSSS! and gave him a big hug! If this is a dream, I hope I never wake up. I haven't had this much fun since the '70s, when I acted out the lyrics to "Taxi" by handing Harry Chapin a $20 bill for his charity and saying, "Harry, keep the change."

smile Darlene

P.S. Raspberries fans are among the most kind and generous people I know. At the end of the concert, a lovely lady stuffed something into my hand, and over the noise in the room, shouted, "Here are two tickets to the after-concert party. You looked like you were having such fun at the concert, we want you to have them." Although the noise made it impossible to hear exactly why they weren't going to attend the meet-and-greet themselves, after several attempts, I was able to get their names: Kathy and Robert Arrico (I hope I've spelled your name correctly), thank you so very much. I don't know your screen name(s), but I wanted to thank you again and tell you how much we enjoyed the meet and greet. Your tickets were well-used and VERY much appreciated! We hope to see you at a future show and get to know you better.

smile --Darlene Brandt

This was not only the BEST RASPBERRIES CONCERT I have ever seen, it was the BEST CONCERT I have ever seen! Raspberries LIT THE FUSE and B.B. King's EXPLODED! To RE-QUOTE a review Raspberries received 32 years ago after knockin' them dead at Carnegie Hall: "LORD, RASPBERRIES ARE GOOD!" There was NOTHING they couldn't do last night!

Jim—Ohmygod! He is a MONSTER! A better drum sound and faster hands have NEVER been heard nor played in New York City! Can you believe this guy was a "retired" drummer?!?

Dave—the crowd was on its feet and chanting his name after every song he sang and nearly carried him off stage on their shoulders after "It's Cold Outside!"

Wally—What can I say? His nailed every GUITAR SOLO and "Party's Over" was one of the BEST SONGS of the night! I GUARANTEE that every single person leaving B.B. King's last night are now TRUE BELIEVERS in something I have ALWAYS said, "Wally Bryson is one of THE GREATEST guitar players who ever lived!"

Eric—WHAT THE F--K? How does he do it? Where does it come from? He effortlessly sang EVERY SONG with an unbridled passion and incendiary energy that made me want to JUMP and SHOUT! This night was one of HIGH NOTES, and ERIC HIT 'EM ALL!

Bernie (Pinch me I must be dreaming!)

Oh, one more thing… the OVERDUBS: Derek Braunschweiger, Jennifer Lee, Paul Sidoti and Billy Sullivan. You guys should be SO PROUD! It is BECAUSE of the solid foundation YOU provide that Raspberries are able to CLIMB THE HEIGHTS of ROCK AND ROLL and walk effortlessly to the EDGE without fear of falling!

You guys (and gal) ROCK!

Bernie

PS: "Hey Paulie!" spin

They did. Before the show even started Jon was saying he might have to leave early. He stayed for about half of the band's set, leaving after "Overnight Sensation" (where he played "air piano" along with Eric on his tabletop and pumped his fist a few times along with the rest of the crowd.) Just before he headed out he asked one of the sound people to show him a set list and it looked like he might have had second thoughts about splitting for a brief moment when he saw "Ecstacy, "I Don't Know What I Want" and "Go All The Way" scheduled for the end of the night :-)

Bernie

PS: Seated in the same booth was songwriter/producer Desmond Child.

I still can't breathe!!! What a show! So that WAS Ken Jennings I saw singing along with every song!! I was standing next to Kazumi, Darlene and Bernie and couldn't help but sneak a peek at Bon Jovi's reaction to each and every song. His favorite (from my POV) was definately 'Overnight Sensation'. As bernie said, played air piano, air drums, and air guitar thru-out the song. But the funniest thing was watching him 'conducting' the transistor radio part. He loved it. As did 600 other fans from NY, NJ, NE, Canada, Japan, England, and Cleveland. What a frickin night!!

Dave

Even better than watching Bon Jovi grooving to the tunes was watching Jennings. He sang the words to EVERY SONG including album cuts like "Last Dance." He truly is a Jeopardy champion!

Bernie

PS: I checked around his seat after he left with hopes that he might have accidentally dropped a hundred dollar bill or two, after all the guy did rake in a couple mil on that Game $how!

How about Eric throwing in "obviously" and giving us that mischievous grin when he sang "but I'm not in it for the money." When people talk about the best concert Raspberries ever gave, it will still be New York, just 30 years later. They eclipsed Carnegie Hall on 7/24/05. It was THE show.

MY NEIGHBOR JIMMY J. WHO IS HIMSELF A FANATIC AND A CELEBRITY(HIS PASSION FOR THE COLTS LED TO HIS LETTER BEING READ LAST YEAR IN A DIRECT-TV COMMERCIAL BY JOHN GOODMAN-HIS HORSE IS EVEN NAMED PEYTON-)JUST INFORMED ME THAT SCOTT SHANNON THE A.M. D.J. ON WPLJ 95.5-OUR 80'S THROUGH TODAY- TOP 40 STATION(HE WAS INTRODUCED AS BEING IN THE CROWD ON SATURDAY NIGHT) RAVED ABOUT THE RASPBERRIES ON THIS MORNING'S(MONDAY) SHOW AND KIDDED THAT HE HAD TROUBLE LINING UP A COMPANION FROM THE STATION TO GO WITH HIM(MOST SAID THEY WERE 3 YEARS OLD IN THE70'S). SHANNON IS A REAL BIG DEAL, HE RESTARTED TOP 40 RADIO IN N.Y.A NUMBER OF YEARS BACK WITH Z-100. ALL IN ALL I THOUGHT YOU'D ALL LIKE TO KNOW THAT A GUY WHO CAN'T EVEN PLAY THE RASPBERRIES ON HIS SHOW WENT ON TO TALK ABOUT WHAT A GREAT BAND THEY ARE.

Wow! What a piece of information that is! When the next Razz cd comes out, EVERYONE will be able to play it! It's pretty great that Scott Shannon was praising Raspberries! Thanks, Ira!

When we were talking to Ken Jennings, he mentioned that, although he had never posted, he had visited Raspberries.net. He was not aware of EC.com, so we filled him in about the website and the chatroom. We may have some "intelligent" chats one of these nights...ya never know!

smile --Darlene

Hey everyone!!!! First time posting here, and I must say, you guys are the coolest bunch I've ever met at ANY gig, powerpop band or not!! Darlene, you're awesome!!!

Been waiting a LOOOOOOOOONG time for these 2 Raspberry gigs...never thought I'd ever see them happen...now I can die happy, YOW!!! Originally, I just had a ticket for Saturday's gig, didn't intend on going back on Sunday (I don't think I've EVER seen a band 2 nites in a row, as usually it's the same set, plus the price was a tad high for my budget)....but, there was NUTTIN going on, I met some cool people like Kazumi there on Saturday, and my friend Bruce was going back, so I debated, and I was like FUCK it, I'll go back, it wasn't sold out.

One of THE best decisions I've EVER made in my life, bar none!!

POSSIBLY among the top 5 gigs I've ever attended in my life, PERIOD!! The 'Berries just tore ROOF off the joint, YOWZA!!! Better sound from the board, the band was both looser and tighter than Saturday, having even more fun in the process, the crowd just went nuts!! The exuberance and energy was just infectious, rubbing off of everybody. TWO encores instead of just one!! Too many highlights to mention...a fave moment was during their raveup "I'm A Rocker"...Wally was all smiles playing his Flying V, and Eric did a CIRCLE around him!! Everyone was just having a BALL!! It was just obvious.

Saturday, it was awesome to hang out with Matt Pinfield, and it was cool Scott Shannon, Little Steven Van Zant and Gene Cornish were there too, although didn't get to meet them. Sunday, wow, it was great to say hey to Jon Bon Jovi and his wife Dorothea...missed Desmond though (as, but a highlight, it was great to connect with Kyle Vincent, awesome dude!!).

Sorry my friends Eliot, Larry and John missed Sunday's gig, best Raspberry gig ever...I'm soooooo glad I went, woohoo!!!!

Now, September 17th, Atlantic City, shall tell Eliot!!

Hey, Larry. Glad you had a great time! Raspberries are indeed awesome! There's a little word in your post that could afford to lose some letters. All you have to do is click on the little pencil and pad and put the cursor in the box and replace them with --. This isn't a good time for the "internet police" to become alarmed at EC.com.

smile --Darlene

Darlene, Larry....Even Wally backed away from the mike when the "S-word" was supposed to come up on "Party's Over", while on the subject of censorable items.....

I'm A Rocker....and Lennon and Bowie showed up at a Elvis Presley concert in the early '70s for the exact same reasons. But I think if we had a West Coast or Florida gig, Tom Petty would definitely show up, likewise....

Oh, my !! Everything everybody else has said, and some !! spin I think all my Christmases came at once. Just when you think it can’t get any better ~ it does! The whole Raspberries experience is phenomenal. I loved absorbing every moment. Stevie can’t stop saying how superb it all was, especially Sunday. I thoroughly enjoyed both nights. Two consecutive days of Raspberries ~ what more could anybody ask for! Wow!! It was amazing!! Seeing and meeting the BEST band in the world, meeting up with wonderful fans and even the fantabulous party at Bernie’s. I think we are all just so lucky to be sharing this out-of-this-world rollercoaster. I want it to go on forever !!

spinhappy

Julia, it was wonderful to have the chance to see you and Stevie first in Cleveland (we even did lunch!) and then in New York. Marlene, we got to wave to each other (!), maybe next time we'll get to talk. This fabulous "roller-coaster ride" *will* keep going, giving us even more thrills in the future.

smile --Darlene

It was SO nice to see you, too, Darlene...even though we didn't get a chance to talk in NY. We'll have to make it a point to catch up in Atlantic City !!! I have a very cute picture of you peeking out over the Raspberries banner I'm going to send you !! happyhappy M.