Eric In Concert

guitaroxx

Hi, all,

This is my first post to the EC boards.

I'm helping the Webmaster of a site dedicated to the touring history of Rick Springfield, who, as most of you probably already know, toured with the Raspberries in the spring of 1974.

I'd seen folks mention Eric's Marathon Man book and the fact that, from what I can glean, it contains his touring history with the Raspberries, including the 1974 dates. I'm wondering if someone who has the book might be kind enough to reply to this message and list the dates and venues for the Raspberries shows that Rick was on the bill.

So far, I have the entries below:

• May 22, 1974: Valparaiso, IN, Valparaiso University Gymnasium
  • May 24, 1974: Erie, MI, Mason Consolidated High School
  • May 30, 1974: Pawtucket, RI, Saint Raphael Academy Gymnasium

Any additional info you can provide would be most helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance, for your assistance,

Bert

Hi Bert,

Ken Sharp's book, "Overnight Sensation" and later Ken and Bernie's "Marathon Man" have a list of dates, venues, and amount the band was paid for the "Starting Over" line up of Raspberries, which would include the 1974 tour.  The lists are very similar- they are both compiled from Scott McCarl's personal archive.  However, they do not include information on who else played on the bill with Raspberries.  Perhaps Bernie has more info than you have already collected...good luck with your venture.

Kirk 

• Like 1

Kirk,

That's great info. Thanks for the pointers!

I think that, if I can see the 1974 listing, I could probably pick the Rick Springfield/Raspberries dates given the context of what I already have. Poking around a bit on the boards here, I was able to find that Rick and the Raspberries played another show I don't have in our archive: Howell Cheney Technical High School in Manchester, CT. The poster didn't mention the exact date, but I can probably find it with a little digging.

Of course, I will certainly verify any and all dates sent to me via the usual methods (newspaper archives, etc.) before adding them to our tour archive. That said, every clue, no matter how small, definitely helps.

It would certainly be helpful to hear from Bernie regarding the 1974 dates. Here's hoping...

Thanks, again, Kirk!

Bert

A few more of the May dates are:

5/11  Hilton High School, Hilton NY

5/12  Capital Music Hall,  Wheeling WV

5/14  Alderwood High School,  Seattle WA

5/15  Washougal High School, Portland OR

5/18  Stardust Ballroom, Russells Point OH

5/19  Xaviera University, Chicago IL

5/20  Zion High School, Chicago IL

5/23  Holy Cross Seminary, Toloedo OH

5/28  Cheney Tech

5/29  Barre High School, Barre MA

6/1  The Gables, Margate NJ

6/2  West Gate High School, Scranton PA

6/4  The Stone Balloon, Newark DE

6/7  The Tea Store, Sharon PA

Craig,

This is excellent and very helpful!

Firstly, it gives the Howell Cheney Technical High School date (May 28, 1974). And, I'd lay odds (although I will certainly verify) that every entry with the words "high school" was probably a Raspberries/Rick Springfield show. I say this because I found several articles written around this time that explain that the shows in question were sponsored by Carefree Chewing Gum and awarded to the high schools whose students sent in the most of the company's gum wrappers to a certain address. I can only imagine that more than one post office must have smelled pretty minty around that time.

At any rate, I'll see what I can unearth, first on the high school shows, and then, later, on the others. I think I heard, somewhere, that the Carefree contest included twelve concerts, which, looking at the four I have already, and adding in the other high school dates from Craig's list, adds up to about that number.

So, thanks, again, Craig! I'm off to do the research. And, of course, if anyone else on the boards happened to have been at one of the shows, I'd love to hear from you as well.

Until then...

Bert

hob '05 raspberries with rick springfield.jpg

Bert, did you know the Raspberries/Rick Springfield connection continued on 30 years later?  Here's a backstage photo from one of the Raspberries reunion concerts in 2005; this concert turned into the Live On Sunset Strip cd/dvd that was released a couple of years later.  Rick was in attendance at this show.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kirk said:

Bert, did you know the Raspberries/Rick Springfield connection continued on 30 years later?  Here's a backstage photo from one of the Raspberries reunion concerts in 2005; this concert turned into the Live On Sunset Strip cd/dvd that was released a couple of years later.  Rick was in attendance at this show.

Kirk,

I did run across the 2005 co-tour when I was searching on Rick and the Raspberries. I can only imagine how cool those shows were.

Bernie, 

Man, the folks at Carefree sponsored a whole lot of really great shows over the years. I worked on the Hall & Oates tour archive and saw that they played a few Carefree-related concerts in 1980. Thanks for posting your cool pic. And, by all means, if you happen to find more info on the Carefree tour (especially, which dates Rick was/wasn't with Eric & Co.), that would be super.

Thanks, all!

Bert