How were Eric's vocals at the House of Blue show ?

Lawyer fan

I saw Eric in concert several times when he was on Ringo's tour (not that long ago) and he was in FINE voice every time! He also always wore a white shirt -- just like the Raspberries Reunion concert. Someone must've told him he looks really great on stage in a white shirt! Whoever they are, they're sooo correct in that observation!!

smilie

I agree that Eric was in FINE voice for the Ringo tour, but having seen him in action at the reunion show, too, I must say that his voice was EVEN BETTER! That, in combination with exceptional backing vocals and extraordinary musicianship, made each song sound as good (or better) than the records. Quite a feat!

Bernie

The best thing to me about this whole show was that Eric proved to everyone he still knows how to rock! For all the melancholy reviews over the years from people about his ballads (which are great, BTW)they all need to pick up the DVD when it comes out and get set to hear a big...TAKE THAT!!!!! (I may buy two, so when the first one wears out, I will have it handy!)Too bad Lester Bangs wasn't around to hear it.

Eric,like the entire band, was absolutely awesome. I never in a million years thought I would attend a concert better than Paul McCartney's last US tour, but the Raspberries did it.

You know what is really amazing to me? I have always listened to the Raspberries music several times a week for over thirty years, but since the concert, there are certain songs that I either get a tear in my eye or literally get goosebumps hearing now.

"If You Change Your Mind" brings the tear and "Overnight Sensation" and "I Wanna be With You" bring the goosebumps.

It's been two weeks and I still smile like a goof thinking about Jim standing up clacking his sticks during the radio part of "Overnight Sensation" and the crowd just erupting! You could just feel everyone thinking "how are they gonna do this part?" and it was just fantastic when we heard it!

What a fabulous moment for everyone involved!

Well, what I felt was, the sogs at the show were far better than the records. But, honestly, I feel that was due as much to improved technology, as the "maturing" of all the guys playing and their fuller, more resounding voices. I think that, unforunately, the original records were slightly tinny in production, and the songs at the show were full, with booming harmonies, bass, treble, and lush musical arrangement. I just watched one of the DVDs I have of old 'berries on TV shows and live, and the harmonies and tightness of the band were far better now than possibly they ever did live in the old days. I am still smiling 1000x a day thinking about it!

Lawyer fan, I agree with everyone who's already posted. The vocals couldn't have been better. Every note sounded "right on" and the emotion in Eric's voice is unbelievable ! Everyone was in fine form....and the background vocals brought it all together...ever heard the old irish saying "the older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune"? wink Marlene

I agree with Jeff. I've noticed among singers that men's voices tend to continue to get deeper, fuller throughout life, not just in their teens and twenties. I think it's made Raspberies sound even better than when they were youngsters, in addition to the equipment advances. Can't wait for the DVD! Then everyone can hear it, and I can re-live it!

Jennifer

Like Pat I, too, have continually listened to Raspberies for over 30 years. The advances in sound technology made for a perfect blending of instruments and voices that night.

When you listen to their music as long as I have you get to know, and anticipate, every note, every vocal inflection and every nuance of sound from the supporting musicians' instruments. So, when you see a band (any band) peform live the essence of the sound does not always translate from the studio to the stage. The live performance, for me, is a significant measure of the performers' real talent(s).

In that regard, the Raspberries performance at the reunion (that includes all performers on the stage) far exceeded my expectations (I have seen both lineups of the band perform live).

Add to what I have said above, these guys are in their mid-50's . That alone puts them at a disadvantage in my mind. As I have said before, from the opening song the hair on the back of my neck stood up. They were electrifying.

If you haven't bought a ticket for NYE - WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Eric's energy and vocals were amazing. Wally's vocals and musicianship were far better than EVER before - he didn't leave anything on the bus, he brought it all. Jim was dead-on and perfect - he too sounded better than the recordings. Dave's bass sounded great (I'll bet he's still smiling like a kid). You can tell he was having a blast.

So, does that answer your question?

See you on NYE - ya better be there! winkspin

Ted

You've all probably read before that I always loved the timbre and texture of Eric's voice. It's rich and velvety, and, when blended with Wally's, the combination is nothing short of magic. The mixture is so smooth and beautiful that it most likely shaped how the other two sang when they entered the mix. (Sort of like playing violin duets with Hilary Hahn or Ithzak Perlman--just playing with them would make one's tone worlds better--to match theirs more evenly--or like playing golf with the best players--one's game would improve almost by osmosis).

Eric sounded amazingly beautiful on Ringo's tour when I heard him in New Brunswick. The anticipation of hearing his voice after all those years was very exciting, and I was thrilled when he opened his mouth! I know Bernie, Kathy and Ken (and Terri) Sharp were at that show.

But he topped even that on Nov. 26th! He showed he still has it--even better than ever. And I've seen Eric in everything from blue to white, and he looks great in everything. He especially looks great in white because he has the tan thing going on.

smile --Darlene

I will say that I was absolutely speechles after

seeing/hearing him that night. I have to admit that

I was surprised that he still could rock like

that haha Really, I knew it would be different from seeing him on the Ringo tour, but was very impressed he is still a rocker. Wowie!

I know that Jim and Wally still had it. Maybe I just listen to way too many of his sappy songs haha

G spin

I saw Eric 4 times when he toured that summer with Ringo. He was good....very good. But the reunion concert was different It wasn't just a very good singer plying his trade, it was a performance that was truly from the heart. Eric gave it everything he had, and the bottom line is...HE STILL HAS IT. Can't wait for NYE.

Eric's voice was absolutely stunning.... and these are "near-impossible" songs to sing live... the fact that he did it in his mid-50s is one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed...

Most rock and pop singers go soft as they age or, as in the case of Paul McCartney (and definitely Elton John) their voices change and do not sound like the way they did when they were in their 20s...

Eric's voice sounds basically unchanged, maybe a little bit deeper/fuller, but tone wise, it was unmistakable.... Wally and Dave were also blessed with the same luck and really sounded like the records...