Hungry Eyes

Have you given any thought to how you would have done the video? How about your other videos --- satisfied or not? Did you really like doing videos and feel they showed your work at their best? Just curious because you've never really indicated that you feel this is the best format for your work as you have with live concerts and such.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Type in Eric's name at VH1 --- they have Make Me Lose Control and Almost Paradise.

I was going to include the link to Make Me Lose Control, but the suggestion to just search Eric Carmen is a good one and that search will still pull up the MMLC video. And just in case I missed it in all the previous posts on this topic, the IWTHIFYLips video is posted. So many members wrote that they had never seen it, but I just didn't see anyone post the fact that it is now on YouTube. If this is redundant, I apologize-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoNZJSaMosQ

Paulie,

It was a musician who created MTV, Michael Nesmith of The Monkees. Prior to that, there were videos which were limited released at some kinds of mysterious whims by executives, as "promos" which actually rarely saw the light of day. Yet, bands and artists made the promos, which mostly were of concerts or studio performances, sometimes artsy, and sometimes plain. MTV was that just a step up, and the market for it came which brought the attention of directors who, as Eric has stated, are film director wannabes, and they have limited connection with the art of music as such.

The problem with these videos, as Eric has brought to light here, is that the input of the artist is nil, unless the artist takes the time and pulls out all the stops of assertion, beating on desks, burning the phone wires, and all of that, to get what seems like a worthy piece. This process is the problem.

Since around 1978, there have been music videos as a reality in the music production for the mass market. As such, musicians are already aware that they are supposed to think of the video, along with the song. It isn't a long stretch, for someone to ask an artist what he envisions the scene for his song should be, and have the professionals, the film director wannabes, work around that. There needs to be sense in the making of videos.

insane taking my pet smiley "Herbert" on a post

OK, this must have been posted during one of my damnable computer crashes...

I know Michael Nesmith is the "grandfather of MTV"... when his record label wanted to release a video in Japan of his single "Rio" (from the album "From A Radio Engine To The Photon Wing") he asked for and received permission to do an artistic video instead of the usual concert clip.

While "Papa Nez" has never gotten his fair due in the states, the Japanese market embraced him in a powerful way (much like they do Eric.) And apparently Japan already had a form of MTV as they were set up to broadcast videos of songs if they were provided by the record labels.

You can actually hear the story in Michael's own words and voice in this interview from 2000.

Papa Nez on World Cafe

• 5 years later...

I hope you're talking about I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips number two. If that first video ever sees the light of day I might just move to Argentina and change my name. That's how much I hate it. I'm hoping not even Bernie could find that one. Blech! ec

Blech!????

I'm sure that video must be awesome! I'm still waiting for that first video to see the light of day...

Where The F*H* is that 1rst video? angry Anyone? smirkprayhaha

Originally Posted By: Eric Carmen
I hope you're talking about I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips number two. If that first video ever sees the light of day I might just move to Argentina and change my name. That's how much I hate it. I'm hoping not even Bernie could find that one. Blech! ec

Blech!????

I'm sure that video must be awesome! I'm still waiting for that first video to see the light of day...

Where The F*H* is that 1rst video? angry Anyone? smirkprayhaha

Andie...could this possibly be it??? Jean :liplick::liplick::liplick: