In a New York state of mind...

marvin

So why do we do it? Why do we leave our families, leave our homes, our jobs, and travel across cities, states, the country, the world, to see Raspberries? Why do we pour our hearts into this band? Why do we care so much when for the longest time no one else even knew or cared? Is it because Raspberries have been our little secret that we are proud we were smart enough to discover?

I've had this discussion with a number of fans, but on the flight from Calgary to Montreal to New York, I sat there trying to find answers to these questions. My mind went blank. Is it because of the music? Maybe after that first concert in November, but what about the others that have followed? Is the music so important that it makes us spend hundreds (and in some cases, thousands) of dollars *just* for a close-up? Or is it because the music is a link to those youth-filled days gone by - days that are slowly receding into the rear view mirror, days that we're not quite yet ready to let go off? Suffice it to say, questions were many, but answers were few.

Then just when I had given up trying to figure this out, just when I gave up on finding an answer, New York City happened. November 26th in Cleveland was emotionally exhausting. December 31st in Cleveland was magical. January 15th in Chicago was phenomenal. And then just when I had given up on finding an answer, New York City happened.

As most of you know by now, in my life, my passion for music is equaled only by my passion for my family. Many years ago, I believed that music had the power to heal and to save. Music was my air, it was my food, it was my lifeline. Over the years, though the passion has always been in existence, as my life moved into different directions, the passion naturally waned.

For 30+ years I've struggled trying to understand why it has always been Raspberries that have fueled that musical passion. On Saturday night when the band silently took to the darkened stage while *that* montage played, I knew that my life had come full circle. Here once again in the greatest city in the world, Raspberries were ready to prove to everyone that Carnegie Hall was not an aberration, they were ready to prove to the audience that lightning would strike twice in the same place, 30+ years later.

It took one weekend in New York City to re-confirm my belief that yes, music does have the power to save and to heal. That in a world filled with emptiness and loneliness, there is still hope. Music is that hope. For one weekend in New York City, strangers became friends, and friends bonded closer. Just when I had given up trying to understand why I travel across borders to see and hear Raspberries, one weekend showed me that this band has something that no other band I've ever come across has. There is a power and strength, so innate and overwhelming, it grabs your heart and compels you to believe. It forces you to have faith that music WILL save. That music WILL heal. This band has made a connection like nothing I've ever seen or heard before. Will others come aboard, will others understand? I don't know the answer to those questions, but I do know that I no longer ask "why? Just when I needed an answer, New York City happened.

Thanks Dave, Eric, Jim, Wally, Billy, Paul, Jennifer.

Marvin

Marvin,

Perhaps the full meaning of why music is so universally appealing and important will never be understood. Clearly music has impacted society from the ancient time, and it's not limited to us humans (animals also have a sense of rhythm and tone). A beautiful symphony can make one weep in public, and even the novice listener can detect a dissonant note. Music has a near infinite range of responses. I'm sure Darlene will chime in here about the healing powers of music!

As to the other question - as to why the subset Rasberries are so appealing - I think each one of us has an answer for that (even if it's a vague shrug of "it makes me feel good"). And that is part of the appeal to music - it is subject to different interpretations as well as effect.

Perhaps we could gather a written "tribute" to the band for those of us who don't compose - a chance to thank them for being important to us, and for also being there now.

Anne

Hey Marv, it's a great thing to be caught up in this vortex called "Raspberries", ain't it smile Remember, not so long ago, when all there was to do was to compare this person or that group to the 'berries or Eric- and not have anything to back it up? Those of us that had heard and seen had to have a lot of patience for those who hadn't. Very eloquent piece on the current state of affairs. Next stop? Kirk.

Anne,

You've got it. I have started to write something, along the lines of the Reflections that Marvin started, but more of an observation coming to a conclusion. I wrote on the Raspberries site of "Little Victories" and Raspberries, and subsequent music by it's members have been a major part. It is amazing how music can be such an important part of one's life.

Marvin, well-said. But equally interesting is the peripheral effects on my life. The energy of this

Raspberries deal has taken a life of its own, especially after this trip.

To make a long story short, the past year and a half or so has been a rough one for me, on a number of levels. I have been a bit mentally burned out after all of that.

But you know, this Raspberries reunion thing has got me all fired up....hearing that they reunited was one thing. Being there Saturday brought it up a notch, and then going to Bernie's. But Sunday's concert raised it way up there.

Waking up this morning and getting ready for work

felt totally different than every other day. Something had changed in the past few days.....

Work went smooth....accomplished a lot at home..

and still have energy right now......plus this past week I have gotten the best sleep in months, despite the fact that I have flown for hours and changed three time zones.

Just what the doctor ordered.....

The energy coming off these concerts, meeting my longtime heroes, and being around a truly worldwide group of fun people really made a difference.

Thank you Raspberries. And thanks to all the

friends I have made on this board. It truly means a lot!

Dave, Eric, Jim, Wally, Billy, Paul, Jennifer and Derek. We can *never* forget Derek! Individually, each is a consummate artist Together, they are magic!

My reaction to hearing "that magical blend" called Raspberries on my car radio back in the '70s was to go into a trance, forget to stop my car and almost cause an accident. I had NEVER heard such a rainbow of tone colors and timbres blended so smoothly. And I'm a violinist--timbre and tone color are my stock in trade. I didn't know who they were, but I was drawn to that sound like a moth to a flame. When I did find out, in short order, I bought the albums, and I'm more in love with their sound now than ever.

The sound drew me, and the music hooked me. It wasn't just the sound, nor the rich harmonies, but the artistry of the music and the electricity of their live performances. The music, as they wrote and performed it, said to me, "You're not alone in your feelings. *We've* been there." And I haven't been alone in my feelings now, for well over thirty years. Raspberries (and later, Eric's solo music as well) was there to say, "I've been there too." It made every difficult event in my life easier to bear and the happy ones a thousand times richer. Raspberries music *always* helped me mourn or celebrate.

When Raspberries broke up the first, then second times, and Eric no longer made solo appearances, I was desolate, but at least I had the records. I always applied Elton John's lyrics from "Your Song," to the music, thinking "How wonderful life is while you're still in the world." But I always believed that Raspberries was meant to be, and knew it would return someday.

Anyone who was at the November reunion concert in Cleveland last year had Marvin's question answered with the first chord. The answer is: "Because they're *THAT* good!" That statement also explains why Raspberries has been cited as a major influence on some of the greatest artists of our time. Four young men who were blessed with artistic gifts of sheer genius got together and created something that just *had* to be. Their music is crafted and performed with a divine magnificence that no one can deny. That is, no *intelligent*, talented being can deny it. And such artistry never goes away, not even after thirty years.

So we do whatever it takes to see the next show. Because we "get it." And we're in great company, if you count John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen, Jon BonJovi, Little Steven VanZandt...and the list goes on. RASPBERRIES IS BACK! AND THEY'RE BETTER THAN EVER! YOU HAVEN'T SEEN *ANYTHING* YET!

So, see you in Atlantic City?

smile --Darlene

Marvin. Very nicely said. You know, I was never a Berries fan. I could never understand Paula's passion. Yeah, I knew some of their hit songs, but that was a long time ago. Then, I saw them live on that Friday night in November, and I "got it". I think one has to see them live to really appreciate their music and the love they have performing. To see Jim master that beautiful drum kit of his in person....to see Dave always smiling and enjoying himself and never missing a bass line....to see Wally effortlessly play those legendary guitars as masterfully as anyone and to hear his humor....and to hear Eric's voice, and showmanship....well, it's unbelievable all put together. And last, but not least, the fans, and the electricity created is a HUGE part of why we do what we do, and why it feels "special" at their concerts. It's the family atmosphere, even with strangers. This is something to be experienced in person. Not listened to on an album. Not viewed with pictures and videos. Before we left for that November concert, I listened to the albums many times. I watched the old Don Kirshner Rock concert videos, I saw all the pictures. But it wasn't until I witnessed everything in person, that I "got it". And it's only spreading.

Harry, of course the music is great, but this thread was about why we travel and spend our good earned dollars just to see them live. There's lots of music I enjoy and even love and will go to a concert, if it's conveniently nearby. Raspberries have an almost cult following. We're sort of a smaller version of the "Dead Heads". Ha. I enjoy the music and now listen to it all the time. It's good stuff, exceptional. I'm a musician and appreciate great music. However, I don't travel all over the country to hear any band that I like. Raspberries are different. You have to witness it to get the full effect. We can't attend every concert because we just can't afford it, but we WILL travel again to see them. If we had the resources we, too, would have been in Cleveland and New York this summer. That's all I was trying to say....of course it's great music. It always will be. Thanks.

Raspberries has an electrifying effect on any crowd who comes to see them perform live. The electricity is present in the air long before they ever appear on the stage. Call it energy, karma, whatever you like. It's not just the music, but the raw, urgent way in which they create it. I can feel their energy in a building as soon as I arrive. It always *was* that way, and always will be. Greatness has an aura that cannot be defined. Raspberries fans *are* like a family, and are the best audiences, and the best people, one can find. But they're not *born* that way--it comes of loving the music, recognizing the greatness and then witnessing that miracle which is Raspberries creating their magic on the stage, and interacting with the crowd in a way that brings the anticipatory energy to a fever pitch. We listen to the music and fall in love with it, but, it's Raspberries' live performances that make them addictive. That's where it's at with them. And it's addictive to the band as well. That's why I knew that if they played together just ONE more time, they would remember, and never want to stop.

smile --Darlene

Seeing them live has been such a bonus, but at least for us, they have left their recorded legacy for us to play forever. For me I'm particularly please to see them come full circle and the band start to get the respect they always should have had. Face it they got screwed, the best band that coulda shoulda woulda. Perhaps the near future will prove very satisfying and cement their legacy to the rest of the world and ultimately get their collective butts inducted into that little Museum on the Cleveland shore.

Well spoken, everyone.

I think a common thread in all of us on the board and at the concerts is this:

a) our hearts and souls feed on music. can't go without and it consumes us.

B) we have realized that life is oh so fleeting and precious. we never want to be the ones to say "if only I had...."

c)we are the ones to grab the lusty, zestful notes

and words and energy given freely by this band and get "it" with every fiber of our beings. We click with each other so well because of it all.

AC, here we come!