Has anyone here contributed to the Eric Carmen Wiki Entry?

VAB5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Carmen

And for those who don't like to click:

Eric Howard Carmen (born August 11, 1949, in Cleveland, Ohio) is a Jewish American singer, songwriter, guitarist and keyboardist.

In 1970, he formed The Raspberries, a rock and roll band who were amongst the chief exponents of the power pop style. In 1975, after the breakup of The Raspberries, he started his solo career, deemphasizing harder rock elements in favor of soft rock in the style of Elton John.

His first solo single, "That's Rock 'N' Roll" failed to chart, but was later remade as a hit for Shaun Cassidy. His next two releases were both hits in 1976. Both were based on melodies by Sergei Rachmaninoff: "All By Myself", based on Piano Concerto No. 2 hit #2 in the US (and #12 in the UK, where it would be his only charting hit); "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again", based on Symphony No. 2 reached #14.

Carmen followed up with three more albums (and declining chart fortunes, though the singles "She Did It" and "Change of Heart" broke the top 40) between 1977 and 1980, before temporarily withdrawing from the music industry. Five years later, after Mike Reno and Ann Wilson topped the charts with the Carmen-penned ballad "Almost Paradise," he resurfaced on Geffen with a second self-titled album and a further top 40 hit, "I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips." A track from that album, "Maybe Your Baby," later became a country hit for Louise Mandrell.

However, it was a few more years before Carmen made a real pop culture comeback with two songs: 1 from the 1987 movie Dirty Dancing with Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey, "Hungry Eyes" and also "Make Me Lose Control". Both songs became Top 5 hits on the music charts. However, Carmen did not follow these hits with a new album, and disappeared from view for the next decade.

In 1997, Celine Dion remade Carmen's "All By Myself" for a #4 hit.

1998 finally saw the stateside release of a new album, Winter Dreams, which had been previously released in Japan. Carmen eschewed the use of a band on the recording, playing most of the instruments (and programming the drum parts). The album did not find a large audience, but Carmen has continued to enjoy success placing songs with other artists over the years.

In 2004, Carmen, along with original Raspberries members Jim Bonfanti, Wally Bryson and Dave Smalley, reformed the band for a series of sold-out live performances in cities across the United States. Carmen has stated that he planned to write new harder-edged songs for the band to perform in the same vein as those which the Raspberries performed in the 1970s.

I didn't contribute to it, but I was so tempted to add what's happened since the band reunited. I decided to leave it to "Carmenologists" and "Raspberryologists" like Bernie and Ken. I would love to read new information about Eric and Raspberries added by Eric and the other guys.

smile --Darlene

I've found wikipedia to be pretty inaccurate (for instance, it says that "Winter Dreams" was released stateside in 1998, which is actually the year it was released in Japan; it later was released in the USA without "Caroline No", as we all know, as "I Was Born To Love You" in 2000).

The same with entries on the Internet Movie Database (IMDB). A lot of online sources are pretty bad.

As far as "That's Rock 'n' Roll" --- it wasn't ever an A-side USA single, but it was the B-side of "Make Me Lose Control" in 1988. In Bernie and Ken's "Marathon Man" book (also known as "the precious" among EC fans) beginning on page 207, there's some interesting comments by Eric Carmen and Clive Davis on why they chose "All By Myself" as the first single over tunes like "That's Rock 'n' Roll" in 1975.

Bernie's got a unique source on this site in his "Discography" section --- http://www.ericcarmen.com/music/discography01.htm --- it lists every Eric Carmen and Raspberries album and single by year of release. Tremendous resource.

Don smile