Raspberries Greatest CD

steve-o

My wife got me the "new" Raspberries Greatest CD for Christmas. Although I am please with the sound quality and the overall song selection I am somewhat annoyed that "Play On" was not included. This same slight also occurred when Capitol did not include the song in the Raspberries Collector Series CD.

It's not my intention to start a "Which song is more deservering" controversey but I must wonder aloud why Capitol keeps deep sixing this song? First they don't release it as a single when Starting Over was released back in 1974 (When it was clearly 1 of the best 3 tunes on the album)then they fail to add it to the aforementioned CD's. I must ask "What in the hell is wrong with these people?"

Steve-O

I've also always wondered about why "Play On" wasn't released as a 45, or included on the Capitol Greatest Hits LP. I thought back in the 70's that maybe it was because Scott, one of the new guys, sang lead on it and co-wrote it. This made sense back then, and was consistent with the rumors that the rest of the band wss pissed off about all of the singles being Eric's songs. A friend of mine thought thst it was perhaps a little too Beatles-ish/derivative to be a single....which I never particularly agreed with.

Good one,Marvin. Capital really srewed this group over back then as well as now. I,too, also have several questions for them. Wouldn't that be an interesting evening for Bernie's chat room !

Hope your family and you had a wonderful christmas and happy new year. Drop me a note off line sometime, when you get a chance.

Regards,

Steve-O

Hi James: I couldn't disagree with you more. On the Starting Over Album I think Hit Record is #1 (no pun intended), Play On is #2, Cry is #3. Don't forget Eric penned Play On and Cry with Scott. I think it is some of his best work. Wally always felt Cry should have been on the Collector Series CD instead of Crusin Music. With the exception of Tonight, and maybe Estacy, there better than anything else on Side 3. Fresh and Raspberries songs aren't in the same category, there more pop than rock. Why do you think they are not?

Steve-O

"Play On" definitely should have been on the new Capitol collection, what a poor decision. Im sure all of us as fans look back in amazement that Side 3 and Starting Over weren't big albums. They both have "big album" written all over them with the quality of the material. Its been said many times but the Raspberries music on the four albums,in terms of sophistication and melody, did not fit the image of a "teen group." The music has stood the test of time. Clearly, there havent been many teeny-bopper groups that have also had country rock in their musical arsenal. I still say that if the Eagles had done "Making it Easy,"

"Should I Stay","last Dance" etc. they would be recognized as all time country rock classics.

oh and I might be in Winnepeg for Hannakuh.

James: Hope no offense was taken, just trying to stir up a little interesting conversation.

Raspberrywine: I'm still amazed that no country act today has found these gems. They have hit written all over them, not to mention a nice royalty for Wally & Dave.

Steve-O

Steve-O, I sure agree. And "Seemed so Easy" also.

Eric's great Berries material aside, I think it filled out the Raspberries musically to have these other types of material going on. It's made the live shows really interesting too. Side 3 is a very diverse album and it makes it a very interesting, as well as enjoyable album, to listen to.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me about the career of the Raspberries is how Capitol appeared to have no clue whatsoever regarding how to promote 4 good looking guys/heart-throbs for teenage girls, who also just happened to make great music. ("Do we put articles on them in Tiger Beat or Crawdaddy?" "Do we cater to the teenyboppers of the old bearded rock critics?")

It's not as if Capitol hadn't already faced this situation a decade earlier with the Beatles! And they seemed to do alright promoting them....although Beatlemania was a force onto itself, and Capitol just happened to be their American label.

I can't help but wonder what might have happened had Eric & co. signed with Columbia or Elektra, for 2 examples......

Tim - Excellent idea, but they'll never go for it. On the Barracudas Yahoo list, dozens and dozens of great names were suggested for their comeback CD (and first in about 15 years), but they eventually settled on the mundane "The Barracudas". The best name I've actually seen so far on a comeback LP after decades of inactivity was The Pretty Things' "Rage Before Beauty" (with most band members in their 60's now)....