Eric almost losing it at HOB Chicago concert

sterling

I was at the HOB Chicago concert and there was a very funny incident that took place in the latter part of the concert. I do not remember what song it was, but Eric went back to play the keyboard and either something Wally said or did got him laughing so hard. I really did not think Eric was going to finish the song but he did regain his composure and did the song. Does anyone remember what song it was and what it was Wally did that got him going? It was rather humorous and I did enjoy it. Great concert. Does anyone else keep thinking about how good it was and cannot wait till the DVD/CD is available?

Phil

I don't know, sometimes he is not too funny when he says things to me during the shows.

In all honesty, Wally is a lot of fun to be around all of the time and is very quick witted. He takes the music and the performance very very seriously, but has the uncanny ability to keep it light on stage.

I don't think it was when Eric was talking about listening to the radio in bed. He then said that he was talking about that to stall for time while Wally changed guitars. We probably won't determine what it was about. I think the main message is that Wally is really funny and says a lot things that get people laughing. Its good to know Wally and Eric can laugh about things and have a good time while performing. Obviously that was not always the case. It was really fun in Chicago to watch and listen to the band. Damn..they're good.

Phil

I might have it Phil--of course, I could be wrong.

It might have been when Eric was playing "I Can Remember"--during the line "hurting so badly, that I thought I would die."

As a preface--on the orginal recording--Eric does that knowing painful chuckle/laugh right after he sings "hurting so badly."

So, during the Chicago show performance--and being the perfectionist that he is--Eric did the knowing chuckle right after he sang "hurting so badly."

Wally gave him a look as if to say--"you're STILL doing that? How PERFECT do we have to be here?"

Eric caught the look and did start to laugh--cos I think he felt a bit embarrassed about being so perfect--but he quickly regained his composure and finished the song.

Again--the DVD will prove me correct/incorrect--but that's my take anyway...

Such fun to notice the comraderie the band still has--even after all the time apart.

--Larry

Larry,

Thanks for your thoughts and recollections. I think you may be right. It was my understanding what was said on this message board that the Chicago concert was not filmed. I do not think I have ever heard "I Can Remember" on CD or vinyl. Obviously I was at the Chicago concert so I did hear it. I certainly am looking forward to the DVD/CD when it is finally available.

Phil

I don't recall the "hurting so badly" incident, but then again my memory may be poor, so I'm willing to believe it happened!

I do remember the other incident of Eric telling about how "Overnight Sensation" was based on his memories of lying in bed in night as a kid with a transistor radio under his pillow, and Wally saying "So, what ELSE was he doing under the pillow?" But that wasn't during a song, so it wouldn't have broken him up during a song. So I suspect LarryGL is right.

Hey Phil - you're right - the Chicago concert was not filmed, so we'll just have to rely on each other's recollections for any clarification ... AND...if you click onto the Merchandise Banner at the top of the Message Board page and check out the "Power Pop Vol. 1" CD you'll find the studio recording of "I Can Remember"...I think it was the last song on their 1st album - at least as far as I Can Remember...

I always marveled at that Haaaccch! on the record. The first time I heard it, I had to go back and replay it, because I thought it was someone in the studio reacting to the line. It was only after a couple of hearings that I realized it was Eric doing it. I love his Haaachhs and his HA! s.

smile --D

Trindy, That's pretty funny! It probably would indeed! He used to prance around the stage doing those, and they were very entertaining. I used to LOVE to watch Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes on A&E, (for those who don't know, Jeremy Brett was Freddie in My Fair Lady, the movie!). Whenever Holmes really "got it," he would get all excited

and say "HA!" That's exactly what Eric's "HA!"s remind me of. Once or twice, I've caught myself doing it. What great influences I've had!

The whole band was pretty entertaining in the old days. They sound even better and are just as funny on stage, maybe even funnier, NOW, than they were then! "HA!"

smile --Darlene