Steven Tyler & Eric Carmen

Raspbernie

"I went to see Aerosmith last night and they ROCKED!!! I'd have to put it in my top five concerts of all time. They were that good! The stage and the lighting were absolutely incredible and the band was tight, focused and powerful. And Steven…well, he's simply one of the best rock 'n roll front men ever. Mick Jagger is still terrific and a great showman, but he never really had a great vocal instrument. Steven has the voice AND the style (I'd like to get his tailor's phone number). And he's a Prince of a guy.

Note to all the EC.com readers: If Aerosmith is headed your way, don't miss 'em. They are one of the last, truly great rock bands."

Talk to you soon,

Eric

• Like 2

Eric's absolutely right on. While the Stones have been in parody mode for, well it seems like eons now, Aerosmith has managed to retain more than its fair share of rock 'n roll integrity (albeit with a few miscues along the way, but hey - they've been in the game for more than three decades). Like a '65 Mustang, Aerosmith's an American classic.

PS - I always thought 'Jaded' sounded like a Raspberries/Badfinger amalgam. Great single.

Real quick story of mine that ties in Eric Carmen and Aerosmith. Back in 75' when I was a freshman at Towson State College, I had an on-air gig at the schools station, but also wrote music reviews for the school paper. "I can remember" one issue doing reviews for both EC 1st solo effort as well as Aerosmiths "Toys in the Attic". They were and still are two CLASSICS.

I too was at the concert and must agree with Eric. The show was incredible . Lenny Kravitz opened the show and the energy was great. The lights and sound were provided by Upstaging who is the # 1 company in the U.S. Aerosmith rocked ! Also at the show Jim and Barb Bonfanti and Al and Denise Kaston. As mentioned before if this tour comes your way go !

So many fond memories of Aerosmith. What a great rock n roll band in the genuine sense, the real deal. Eric makes a great point, we saw the Stones a couple months ago and while it was still great Jagger has now taken the melody out of most of the songs. Its because his vocal range is so limited. It sorta talks or shouts alot of the tunes and removes the melody line. Still Aerosmith was really in the Stones tradition. Great guitar hooks, cool singing.

One of my top bands of all time also...I saw Aerosmith last year (Cheap Trick opened) and thought they were fantastic!

They have truly been forces in Rock and Roll for over three decades and I'm not sure there is a band that can compare!!!!

Since you mentioned it, Eric....what were the other four "concerts of all time" for you?

I'm in absolute heaven! My two all time favorite singers together in one incredible picture! Thanks so much Eric. I also love Aerosmith and have seen them 5 or 6 times over the years. I once stood in line (outdoors in January in Boston) for 8 hours to meet Steven and have him autograph my copy of "Walk this Way". Ah, the crazy things we do... Steven's voice, like Eric's just keeps getting better and better! Rock on guys!

Margaret

I just went back and reread Eric's message. Do you think the line about getting the tailor's number is a hint of more Raspberries shows on the horizon? My dream is that they are taking a break to write/record some new music and will be back on the road to test it out on us! Eric, shall we all start sending you scarves for your microphone stand? haha

Margaret

I was shooting a commercial in Boston a few years ago. Aerosmith was shooting a video in the adjacent studio. I went over to see if I could meet Steven Tyler. I looked in the studio, he wasn't there. I looked in the dressing room, he wasn't there. I looked by the crafts (food) table, he wasn't there. So I gave up and went to the men's room to pee. I walked in and was shocked to see a woman standing at the urinal doing her business. She turned around...it was Steven in drag! 'Don't worry, man, it's just me!' he said with a laugh. And so we pee'd together; me and the dude who looked like a lady.

Dave