Donna Fargo "Change Of Heart"

Don_Krider

A couple of old Donna Fargo albums were released as a 2-for-1 priced CD on Collectables Records in February of 2006, "Shame On You" and "Fargo." That's the label that put out the inexpensive Eric Carmen "All By Myself" collection a couple of years ago (with the color "Hungry Eyes" video cover shot).

The Eric Carmen connection is on Donna's 1980 album, "Fargo," which contains her cover of Eric's "Change Of Heart".

There's a short clip of her cover of "Change Of Heart" at: http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7016696/a/Shame+On+Me+%2F+Fargo.htm

Though Donna Fargo is best-known as a country star, she had some big pop hits back in 1972 with "Happiest Girl In The Whole USA" (#11) and "Funny Face" (#5), and she had a syndicated TV series in the late 70s that was produced by The Osmonds.

The CD is available from various sources (she's selling autographed copies on her website at http://www.donnafargo.com/index2.html ). It's also listed at Amazon.Com, among other sites.

Just wondering how she came to record "Change Of Heart" (for that matter, I'm wondering how "Dukes Of Hazard" star John Schneider came to record Eric's "Sleep With Me" as the retitled "Stay With Me" in 1981 on his "Now Or Never" LP).

I find it kind of interesting to see the number of country stars who are Eric Carmen fans (Louise Mandrell is obvious, but you've also got Hank Williams Jr.'s cover of "All By Myself").

I often think that 70s pop music can now be found on the country charts. I'd love to hear Faith Hill cover "I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips" (actually, I imagine she could sing any of Eric's ballads quite well)...

Don smile

Cool comments, Eric.

I've got that Floyd Cramer LP ("Class Of 73") with "Let's Pretend" and I think it's pretty cool that he chose to cover "Let's Pretend." Loved your comments on Nashville, too.

For the folks wondering who Floyd Cramer is and why it's cool that he covered "Let's Pretend", a few quick comments.

Floyd Cramer and Chet Atkins are often credited with creating "The Nashville Sound" back in the 1950s. Cramer was the "house pianist" at RCA Records.

I imagine Elvis Presley fans are well aware of Cramer's session work on many of Presley's songs, including "Heartbreak Hotel." He also had three Top 10 instrumentals of his own in 1960 with "Last Date" (#2 for four weeks), "On The Rebound" (#4) and "San Antonio Rose" (#8).

From 1964 to 1974, he released his "Class Of..." albums featuring his instrumental covers of what he considered to be the best songs from that year's crop of hits.

So when Floyd Cramer covered your song, it really was something to be very proud of.

If anyone is interested, there's a neat bio of Floyd at http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/bio/0,,418317,00.html#bio .

Don smile

Quote:
All it would take would be a little push and a little luck, and several songs from the Carmen Catalogue could be peppering new releases out of Nashville.

True. And for the up & coming country artist who uses some of these great tunes would no doubt come a whole new fan base! coolThink about that, you wanna be honky-tonker, when you choose material for your first CD! wink

A friend of mine was a session guitarist in Nashville in the 1980's. He played on Gatlin Brothers and Judds records at times as I recall. I went to down to visit him and we had a great time in that town. (Still hung over 20 years later.) But I remember him telling me that it would always blow his mind that guys would come into these sessions to play chewing tobacco, beers in hand, cowboy hats, dirty jeans,arguing about their Ford pick up trucks and then be completely conversant in written music and be able to take on country, jazz, and even classically oriented stuff at the drop of a (cowboy) hat. He said it always blew him away how many "good ole boys" were totally into Miles Davis, Coltrane, Gershwin, Motown etc. etc. and he was very surprised by it. Shows how easily we're misled by surface impressions sometimes. Just shows great music is great music and stereotypes are stereotypes I suppose.

Steve, I'm also a fan of that tune --- Eric has that "country sound" down on the demo and the chorus is wonderfully catchy.

He and Seth Swirsky ( http://64.34.106.128/discography_landing.html ) did a great job on that one (I always thought Eric could have another country hit *himself* with that one, or it might be perfect for Faith Hill and Tim McGraw as a duet).

If anybody hasn't heard it, Seth has the demo on his website and you can hear it here: http://64.34.106.128/pop_eric2.html --- I truly love it! (And the picture of Eric is cool, too.)

Might be worth shopping to Faith and Tim, Terri Clark or Martina McBride (I'm starting to realize that I've been listening to more country music than I thought I did)...

Don smile

We recorded some of our albums in Nashville at Porter Waggoner's Fireside Studios and those are some of the fondest times I remember. The session musicians *are* absolutely amazing. One of our former band members is a session musician (trumpet) and when I was younger, I wanted to quit teaching and become one of the Sheldon Kurland string section. I still have a sketch Ronnie Drake made of me while I was playing on a recording of one of my arrangements during a session. Ah, memories of Nashville...

smile --Darlene

This is interesting. Did Floyd Cramer's version of "Let's Pretend" sound particularly countryesque? Because I know that when I went to a wedding reception somewhere near Dayton, Ohio in 1976 (I will never forget this) I heard playing somewhere on a hotel music system a piano version of "Let's Pretend." Just curious.

Trindy, I suppose Floyd Cramer's version of "Let's Pretend" might be called "countryesque." It's a very pretty version and the only recorded instrumental version I'm aware of.

I've tried to find a clip on the internet to post here, but no luck (since Floyd died in 1997, I guess there's no official website for him, unfortunately).

Getting off the subject, but one of these days, I just hope Eric Carmen sits down at a piano all by himself and cuts an album of his tunes with just himself as a vocalist playing the piano. It could be a simple, inexpensive package, pretty much done live, with some sheet music reproduced inside. I think that would be something special just for the fans (whether most critics will like it, who cares?) - but something like that will please the fans, and I think it has a broader appeal to music teachers, piano students, and others. The big selling point is that it wouldn't be very expensive to make, wouldn't need a lot of production, and could be very profitable for a major record company to release. I personally think such an album would work, even in today's market.

Again, off of my own topic here, but I've always wondered if Eric couldn't have a hit with a newer version of "Let's Pretend" with a mix of the original version and a newer, more modern piano ballad version --- that concept worked pretty well for Neil Sedaka when he took his 1962 #1 hit "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" and redid it in 1975-76 for a #8 hit.

It would be the kind of deal that slaps a radio listener with the old version ("I remember that song; I loved that song") and then blows the listener away with an alternate, slow, even more romantic version of the tune.

I also think Raspberries 1975 (it was probably recorded in 1974, but it aired in sundication in March and August of 1975) "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" medley of "Let's Pretend"(Eric singing the tune as a slow ballad while playing it on a synthesizer)/"Starting Over" should have been recorded --- that live version itself would have been a monster hit single in 1975; I've played that version for Radiohead and Coldplay fans in recent years (since my son's friends are college musicians) and I always get comments of "Wow!" from them, so I think it could still have chart potential, too.

I know, Raspberries have a chart hit now? Some might say that's not possible, but look at the people who didn't believe Raspberries and The Choir could still sell out concerts all these years later!

Don smile

Unfortunatly, I don't think Eric could have a hit again with this song because it's kind of a younger man's lament. The song would be great, but it needs to be believable by the artist performing it. The great thing about All by Myself is that line "When I was young" can be used by anyone past puberty. It's like "I wanna be with you" and starting with "If we were older...." It just doesn't work so much if you already are "Older"

For anyone interested, I just posted a new Billboard magazine review of The Choir reunion concerts in the Cruisin' Music section of this board (mentions Eric attending the two concerts).

The internal EricCarmen.Com link is: http://www.ericcarmen.com/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000123

Sorry for the thread interruption here. I noticed all The Choir threads had moved to the Cruisin' Music section, so I posted the new Billboard article there as well.

Don smile