Showdown: Part 2

marvin

Well I can't say that I understand the allure of "IWtHIFYL." The song has never done anything for me, possibly because I hate the production and the 'fake' instrumentation. How about moving on to two other songs? I suggest (and there's no loser here either):

1. My Girl

2. It Hurts too Much

My opinion? "My Girl" is a slice right out of Beach Boys heaven, and a perfect example of how well Eric can write in a Pop style. I know that he's said that he's never been happy with the production on the song, but that aside, I still believe that it ranks among his finest. "It Hurts too Much" should have been a huge hit record. Why radio never picked up on it when it was released as a single is beyond me. It was head and shoulders better than most anything else that was in the Top 40 at the time and it is an overlooked, forgotten masterpiece.

Regards,

Marvin

I guess they're pretty much gonna all be hard choices, huh? I love "My Girl," but my nod has to go to "It Hurts Too Much. I simply LOVE the production on this song, the way it rocks with those lush acoustic guitars blew me away the first time I heard it! I can still remember my brother and I crowding around the turntable as the needle landed on it for the first time. Ahhh, those were the days ... remember how cool it was to hold and study every inch of that large record jacket in your hands as the disk spun out it's magic on your record player? So, count my vote as one hearty Steve Marriott inspired "Hah!" for "Tonight You're Mine." Great song. Great album. --Bernie

I love IHTM, but -- "My Girl" is one of those songs like "I Wanna Be With You" for me: Whenever I hear them, it's like taking an "upper" -- I just start singing and dancing around and get in just a super good mood. I can't explain it! So I have to vote for "My Girl," even though I LOVE "It Hurts Too Much." All of Eric's music is like a mood elevator, but those two songs take me right to the top floor! --Darlene

Didn't <HUNGRY EYES> start the showdown thread, that was supposed to run Saturday to Saturday. I think it was a great idea, but just because the voting isn't going the way you wanted, doesn't mean you should interupt the showdown in progress. I don't like "Lips" as much either, but at least wait until Saturday.

Oh, Marvin, Marvin, Marvin. What a difficult choice this is! I have to agree with Darlene about the "mood elevator" eliment in "My Girl". You just couldn't ask for a happier tune or a more "feel good" sound all the way around. But....beat for beat, I think I gotta go with IHTM. It's Eric's "rocker voice" that sends this one over the top. It's really a timeless rockin' classic. It sounds as fresh today as it did the first time I heard it. (Wouldn't "My Girl" have sounded great in a musical like "Grease"? I guess that's another topic though laugh )

Oops! Sorry I didn't know that there was a "Saturday to Saturday" rule involved in these Showdowns! In any case, I didn't see any further discussion about "IWtHIFYL" or "MMLC", so I thought it was time to move on to two new songs.

Marvin

Good choice of songs ... staying away from the obvious hits. As for my choice, I once had a relationship go "south" ... guess which song I reached for first...

"Lotta empty words that i've already, heard ... aint gonna work tonight.."

As for future showdowns ... I would put "Heaven Can Wait" against "almost" any Eric ballad.

"Now that i've found a love that's forever, heaven can wait till then..." What a sentiment!

cbenfer said:

Didn't "HUNGRY EYES" start the showdown thread, that was supposed to run Saturday to Saturday. I think it was a great idea, but just because the voting isn't going the way you wanted, doesn't mean you should interupt the showdown in progress. I don't like "Lips" as much either, but at least wait until Saturday.

Thanks! but actually Marvin's comments about "Lips" is the perfect example about how we can feel so strongly about a song. Some real strong feelings to hate a song so much that you cannot discuss it for another minute, the need to have to move on and talk about something else. WOW! Well, that's what it is all about. Well, actually it is about EVERYONES opinion.

It is time to choose. I will choose It Hurts Too Much. I really love how Erics voice sounds so rugged, so rough, grrrrrrrr.... Ok, now can we talk about something else ???

Just kidding. :P