Raspberries DVD............

Lawyer fan

I feel that singers and musicians can make more money through concerts on T.V., live concerts on stage, and satellite, now, because they don't have to rely on the record companys. Actually, they might make alot more, than just relying on their album/CD sales. As Bob Dylan said, "These times are a changing".

Does anyone know if someone like Paul McCartney actually made more money this year -on immense concert grosses in 2005 dollars- than in his best year as a Beatle? I'd bet The Eagles make more money now than when they were ruling the charts even if "Hole In The World" only gets played on AC stations in today's radio world.Mike Smith of the DC5 -the #2 group in the world for 2 years -second to the Beatles-is tragically handicapped and seemingly broke so I guess nobody made much on singles that you could buy for 69 cents in the 60's.-Ira.

Ira speaking from my experience, considering I paid over $200 (Cdn) the last time I saw the Eagles in concert in 2002 and $3.75 the first time I saw them in 1972 (yes folks I still have that ticket stub), I'd say that it's a pretty safe bet that they are making more money these days than when they ruled the charts. Another thing about the Eagles is, their back catalogue still sells over one million units on the average a year, with most of that coming from "Their Greatest Hits 1972-76" which continues to be the top selling record of all-time in the U.S.

Marv

What exactly happened to Mike Smith, I've never heard anything except for a benefit being held for him? He was my favorite in the DC5, back in the day. What happened to the DC5? You used to hear about Dave every once in a while, but nothing was ever mentioned about the band. Or, I may just have missed it. Mike always seemed to be the one having the most fun up on stage.

Mike is a quadripalegic.I believe he hurt himself climbing over a fence in Spain where he was living.I was shocked to learn that he even co-wrote some of the hits and yet he seems to need real financial help.Dave owns alot of valuable British Rock footage ala "Top Of The Pops" and /or "Ready Steady Go" from British "Bandstand" type shows.I've seen his name on the end credits of PBS and News documentaries as the source of archival footage.I believe this is valuable stuff and "he don't have to sing no more" P.S. -Michael Ochs-brother of folksinger Phil Ochs-seems to be like the #1 supplier of all sorts of old rock photos for everything from books to movies to news specials to boxed sets-Ira.

Ira, I had no idea. Thanks for the update and the information. I wonder if the other members of DC5 keep in contact with him. I seem to remember that he and Dave never got along real well, due to Dave taking all the credit for everything, but that may or may not be true as I read it in a magazine a looooong time ago.

About Mike Smith.

There is a Yahoo group dedicated to the DC5. It is possibly the most contentious, ill will group on Yahoo. Constant fighting and bickering.

Depending on who you listen to...Mike is either

a. getting better, slowly, but making progress

or

b. Near death door and a candidate for euthanasia

The there is the fighting over Dave Clark and if he drummed on the DC5 hits.

I remember that controversy even back then about Dave playing on the hits. I used to watch when it was televised an every once in a while it would look like he was playing to an entirely different song. But not being a drummer, I'm not a good judge of that. I remember one time when they appeared in Chicago, Dave demanded a separate dressing room away from the other four. They weren't happy about that. He never got it because it was being used by Rock Hudson at the time, who was appearing at a movie theatre downtown and requested the space.

Mike Smith sent a taped message that was televised at the benefit shows for him at BB Kings in August (the week after the Raspberries shows). He appears to be making very slow progress, and at least has some use of his arms now (which he didn't have for about a year after the accident). If Dave C. would ever get off his butt and FINALLY release the DC5 material on CD, while it wouldn't mean much money up front for Mike, it could raise the awareness level of his problems to the point where he might be able to get more financial help. Also, a DVD is being prepared from the tribute shows (the Fab Faux, Denny Laine, Billy J. Kramer, Peter & Gordon (their first shows in 37 years!), and the Zombies), with the lion's share of the proceeds going to Mike's benefit.

NOTE: Had the DC5 finally been elected to the R&R HOF, this is yet another way that Mike S.'s plight could have been made more widely known.

On the other hand anyone looking for some classic Raspberries TV appearences this may offer hope:

Historic Films Archive of Greenport, NY, has recently purchased all rights to the 1970’s premiere live rock & roll concert television program, “Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert/In Concertâ€, and has secured exclusive excerpt rights to the ground-breaking “David Susskind Showâ€.

The rock concert programmes, originally produced by legendary song publisher and producer Don Kirshner, were a US Saturday night television staple from 1971 until 1982. Except for a brief airing of 12 episodes by VH1 a few years ago, the programs have long been off the air and unavailable for licensing purposes.

Historic Films President Joe Lauro states “We are delighted to have this great addition to our music library. I don’t think there is another program which documents Pop music from that period as well as the 'Rock Concert’ programs. Another great thing about the program is that most of the performances are live, therefore making it less expensive for potential licensees, since the sync rights do not need to be cleared.â€

"Stunning" Quad Transfers

“We have spent the past 4 months transferring all the original programs from their 2 inch quad masters to DigiBeta, including several hundred hours of rehearsal and outtake footage, and are at the final stages of adding all the performances to our online data base (www.historicfilms.com). Fortunately, most of the programs were in excellent condition, so the transfers are stunning, with very little dropout or problems, which often occur with older Quad tapes.â€

“We were fortunateâ€, says Mr. Lauro, “that the Quad tapes all played quite nicely on our in-house machines. All of the 230 programs were on large 90 minute reels with the added bonus of original pop-oriented commercials intact. The library also includes several thousand music promos from the pre-MTV period, many of which are quite rare today.â€